Connect with us

Media

2 suspects that named Melaye as sponsor escape from police custody

Published

on

Spread the love

2 suspects that named Melaye as sponsor escape from police custody

More controversy emerged in Kogi State as the Police in Lokoja that paraded the two suspects who named Sen. Dino Melaye as their sponsor said they have escaped from custody.

The Kogi State Commissioner of Police, Mr Ali Janga made the disclosure at a press conference in Lokoja said the two suspects ; Kabiru Seidu alias Osama and Nuhu Salisu alias Small escaped at about 3:21 am at the A Police Division in Lokoja where they were being held in lawful custody.

It would be recalled that the State Police command had paraded the two notorious political thugs alleged to be working for the senator representing Kogi West Dino Melaye for 2019 election.
The force public relations officer Jimoh Moshood who addressed the press in Lokoja recently said working on intelligence the Kogi State Police command personnel and the Federal Special Anti Robbery Squad trailed and arrested the two suspects after a gun duel that lasted for some hours at Agojueju.

He pointed out that the suspects have confessed to the various criminal roles they played in their involvement in several kidnappungs, and armed robbery in different towns across the State and environs.
“During interogation, they confessed they were political thugs recruited by some mischievous politicians in the State to cause mayhem and disruption of peace, and destruction of lives and property in the State.
“They also confessed to belonging to the gang of a dreaded and vicious kidnap for ransom gang.”
According to him, ” The gang leader Kabiru Osama was introduced to Senator Dino Melaye by Muhammed Audu and they met on airport road Abuja inside Dino Melaye car in December, 2017.
Continuing however, Janga indicated that four other suspects escaped along with Seidu and Salisu, making them six fleeing suspects.

He explained that the suspects escaped wednesday when they were supposed to be arraigned before a Lokoja Federal high court alongside Melaye and Mr Mohammed Audu who was also named by the suspects as sponsor.

Janga named Aliyu Isa , Adams Suleiman, Emmanuel Audu and Musa Mohammed as four other suspects that escaped from custody.

The police Commissioner said that 13  policemen, comprising five operatives of Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) and eight conventional policemen on duty when the incident happened have been detained for interrogation.

“ The 13 police officers who were on duty when the incident occurred were defaulted and detained for interrogation,” he said.

Janga also stated that the names of the six fleeing suspects and that of Dino Melaye and Mohammed Audu had been sent for watch listing by the Interpol for immediate arrest anywhere they are found.

He appealed to residents to assist the police with useful information on the whereabouts of the suspects by reporting to the nearest police station.

The police enjoined members of the public to go about their lawful duties as the command was in full control of the situation saying that it is determined to provide adequate security for live and property.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Media

Zamfara Gov sympathises with NUJ over fire outbreak

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Zamfara Gov sympathises with NUJ over fire outbreak

Following the recent fire outbreak at the Press Centre on the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) Zamfara chapter in Gusau, Governor Bello Matawalle of the State has sent his sympathy to the leadership of the Union

Suspected hoodlums had set 10 shops belonging to the NUJ Secretariat in Gusau on fire on Tuesday
Describing the incident as unfortunate during a visit to the NUJ Secretariat in Gusau on Friday, Matawalle said he identified with journalists as partners in progress.
Speaking through his his Deputy Chief of Staff, Dr Bashir Maru, he said he would align with media practitioners on issues that affected them.

“I am using this medium to symphatise with the NUJ leadership and entire working journalists in the state over this unfortunate incident,’’ Matawalle said.

According to him, the state government would renovate all the affected shops and assist the victims.

Matawalle charged the NUJ leadership in to always do thorough credibility check on persons that would apply for business spaces in their shops.

Continue Reading

Media

NUJ Zamfara chair debunks change of baton news, says he remains in charge

Published

on

By

Spread the love

NUJ Zamfara chair debunks change of baton news, says he remains in charge

The Nigerian Union of Journalists, Zanfara State  Chapter, has drawn the attention of the general public to a fake letter allegedly being circulated on social media that the NUJ Chairman Abdulrazak Bello Kaura from Pride FM Gusau has been transfered to Royal FM Sokoto.

The purported statement which was signed by the chapter’s Assistant secretary Nasiru Shehu Aula Dabbakal and was made available to the NationalUpdate in Abuja, earlier, had announced a change of Baton in the leadership of the State council of the union.
The statement had indicated that by the announcement the vice chairman Comrade Bello Muhammad Boko would serve as acting chairman pending a by-election that will bring in a new and substantive chairman.

The NIJ chairman Abdulrazak Bello Kaura
in his rebuttal of the statement  that was also made available to the NationalUpdate on Sunday in Abuja indicated that, “In the first instance the transfer is fake or a failed attempt by saboteurs and enemies of the profession and not political Union.
“During an illegal and deceptive meeting called by Assistant Secretary of the Union, members of the Union were threatened that the state government has directed them to address them and informed them about the purported transfer and decision to pick my vice, who I have had a good working relationship with to act as chairman.

“The arranged transfer by some elements who feel my position as the state Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Zamfara State Council was blocking their chances to use the Union for their selfish interests to achieve their agenda has failed.

He said the fake letter being circulated by his secretary attracted the attention of concerned personalities and his humble self.

He therefore decided to set the record straight saying,
“I’m a staff of Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria, Radio Nigeria Kaduna National Station, posted to Radio Nigeria Pride FM Gusau, a dedicated staff and peace-loving with appetite and curiosity to improving the journalism profession.

“It should be noted that the management of the FRCN has realized that it was orchestrated.

“It also should be noted that nobody served me with any transfer letter, not even verbally till this moment.

“It was a senior colleague on the 3rd of February, 2021 that drew my attention to a letter being circulated on New Media platforms, addressed to me but not served, that I have been transferred to Royal FM Sokoto.
“I quickly called my General Manager to confirm and he said he was unaware of such a transfer. 
“The Council Secretary, Malam Abubakar Ahmed, also called him for confirmation but the answer from my GM was also a ‘No.’
“I later realized that it was a contract by a former DG Press Affairs, who was seen lobbying NUJ members to support his move to unseat me.
“He was seen sharing money and pleading with them to do the “needful.” This was reported to me by some good Samaritans.

“Let me make it clear that I’m still a staff of FRCN Pride FM, Gusau and the substantive Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Zamfara State Council who was elected in March, 2019 for a tenure of 3 years or 2 tenures of six years if reelected in the next election coming up in the next 13 months.
“Even if the transfer is true, the NUJ Constitution is clear about it in Article 6 (8)(9) and I quote: “If any officer retires or becomes unemployed, he shall be allowed to continue in office for six months after which if he is still unemployed and his case is not of such that the Union is fighting for his re-instatement, he shall cease to hold office and the post shall be filled through a bye-election.” However, he indicated that the rule does not apply in cases of acts of misconduct and criminal offences.’l
“An elected officer of the union who may have to be away for a period of two years, shall resign his office.
“The vacant office shall be filled in accordance with Article 6(8) of this Constitution.
10. No member of the union shall hold any particular office.”

With all the aforementioned provisions of the NUJ Constitution, he said the desperation blinds those behind the charade from seeing the truth and justice.

“I have never been faulted either by the SWC, SEC nor the Congress for any irregularity which made them to lose focus on where to start the contract they signed with politicians to unseat me as the elected Chairman of the NUJ Zamfara state Council.

For more clarifications, our Zonal Office sent a letter to the General Manager, Pride FM Gusau suspending the earlier transfer letter circulated on Social Media platforms by some unscrupulous elements (copy attached)

Another unfortunate disgrace to the NUJ and indeed its members he said was an unethical shameful announcement of the purported transfer on Zamfara Radio for two Days despite the notice debunking the transfer that was made availlable to the Chairman and the Manager News of the Radio Station.
“Their frequent live announcements misinforming the public that I have been transferred to Sokoto and my Vice was nominated in acting capacity was unethical.
He called on the National Broadcasting Commission; Nigeria Press Council; Civil Society Organisations and other relevant stakeholders as well as all well wishers of the NUJ and Journalism profession to intervene.

The National Leadership of our professional Union is at present working on the issue and I believe they will do justice to the matter as guided by the constitution and subsequently will met iutdeal sanctions on those working to mar the unity and integrity of the Union.

Continue Reading

Media

Zamfara NUJ State Council announces change of baton in its leadership

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Zamfara NUJ State Council announces change of baton in its leadership

The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) Zamfara State chaper has announced a change of Baton in the leadership of the State council of the union.
By the announcement the vice chairman Comrade Bello Muhammad Boko will serve as acting chairman pending a by-election that will bring in a new and substantive chairman.
The announcement was contained in a statement that was signed by the chapter’s Assistant secretary Nasiru Shehu Aula Dabbakal which was made available to the NationalUpdate in Abuja on Monday.
The statement indicated that
following the recent transfer of the council chairman, Comrade Abdulrazak Bello Kaura from Pride FM, Gusau, Zamfara state to Royal FM, Sokoto in Sokoto state, it became necessary to effect constitutional adjustments to avoid any vacuum.

The union assured the good people of Zamfara of a cordial working relationship .

The union also expressed its appreciation to the Governor of the State, Bello Matawallen, the Maradun Shatiman Sokoto for his support to members of the union.
The statement stressed that the union will continue to support the Matawalle-led administration especially in the fight against armed banditry through his peace accord and dialogue initiative.

Continue Reading

Trending