Connect with us

News

Melaye/Bello faceoff: Bello should have been magnanimous as father of all says Faleke

Published

on

Spread the love

Melaye/Bello faceoff: Bello should have been magnanimous as father of all says Faleke

The running mate to the late prince Abubakar Audu in the 2015 Governorship election in Kogi State James Faleke has taken a swipe at Governor Yahaya Bello of the State for failing to play the expected fatherly role in his faceoff with senator Dino Melaye.
Speaking with newsmen on Saturday at the Ogidi Day 2017 Yam Festival, Faleke expressed concern on the dangerous dimension the upheaval between the
former allies has taken especially with the use of arms and ammunitions.
Faleke who was speaking against the backdrop that supporters of the two gladiators were engaged in a shootout recently in Lokoja when Melaye addressed a rally said “I expected the Governor to be more magnanimous to take it easy. You see in a society you will always have every character of people, you need to take it easy and learn to manage everybody. You must be able to bring everybody together and manage everybody.”
“First and foremost it is unfortunate what happened between Senator Dino Melaye and the Governor, nobody expected that it will get to that level of gun duel, I don’t think it is the best for our State whether we like it or not both of them are citizens of the State and the Governor is the father of all.
The lawmaker who said he was also a victim of such shooting sometimes in the State thank God that he is alive, ‘I was shot at but here I am talking to you today. So I don’t want to refer to the past, let us move forward.”
On the reconciliation in Kogi APC he said the committee had submitted their report so they were waiting for the national secretariat to call them.
On the recent call by Governor Yahaya Bello for the National Assembly to purge itself of some social deviants he said unfortunately he did not hear the Governor when he spoke on the matter hence he said he does not want to respond to hearsay.
However Faleke indicated that if Bello actually said so it was unfortunate.
He rendered apology for his inability to attend the festival last year.
“I couldn’t come due to the outcome of the governorship election. The people of Kogi State voted for late Prince Abubakar Audu and as he was winning the election he died. However, somebody somewhere gave our victory to another person and we challenge that decision in the Court.
“Well, we lost in the Court but I can assure you that in the forthcoming governorship election in Kogi State an Okun man will contest.”
Faleke indicated that Kogi people elected leaders into office in order to provide social needs such as good road, provision of water, hospital and many more but many of such things are lacking.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

VSF task force on COVID-19 insists, all of its palliatives got to targeted beneficiaries

Published

on

By

Spread the love

VSF task force on COVID-19 insists, all of its palliatives got to targeted beneficiaries

The Victims Support Fund (VSF) Emergency task Force has stated categorically that all its support items from its Phase 1 and 2 donations had been distributed to targeted beneficiaries by the State governments and CSOs.
This was coming against the backdrop of recent narratives that many States hoarded palliatives meant for the vulnerable groups to cushion the effect of the six months lockdown on account of the Coronavirus pandermic.
The Spokesman Victims Support Fund
Covid-19 Emergency Task Force Alkasim Abdulkadir in a statement issued in Abuja on Tuesday said, the attention of the Task Force was drawn to stories especially on social media on the unsettling matter of government and private warehouses being broken into across the country.

He said in the first phase of their intervention, the Task Force identified six states including the frontline states, in addition to the Federal Capital Territory. “These were Lagos and Ogun States as epicentres of the pandemic in Nigeria. Others were four North East States (Borno, Adamawa, Yobe and Taraba) targeting the IDPs as the most vulnerable population needing palliative measures.
“The task force is therefore compelled by the happenings around the country to clearly state that:
The VSF Task Force on COVID was inaugurated by the Chairman of the Victims Support Fund, Gen. Theophilus Yakubu RTD Danjuma in April 2020 adding that it was set up as a vehicle to provide succour to vulnerable populations hit by the effects of Covid-19.
“The task force worked with State Governments and Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) to identify and distribute the palliatives to vulnerable households.
“All VSF Covid -19 Emergency Task force items are clearly branded ‘VICTIMS SUPPORT FUND COVID -19 EMERGENCY SUPPORT PROGRAMME’
He said the task force did not collaborate with any other organisation apart from the local CSOs
“The food items were identified and procured for distribution to households across the six states and the FCT.
“Each household received the following: rice, 10Kg; beans, 10Kg; garri, 10Kg (Lagos and Ogun States only); maize, 10Kg (FCT and the North East only); vegetable oil, four (4) litres, and salt two (2) Kg. “Other items that addressed hygiene like hand washing soaps, detergents, masks, Hazmat suits, goggles, boots, were also procured and distributed. All these were packaged in one 50kg bag.”
He said in the second phase, the focus of the interventions was on Edo, Delta, Enugu, Ebonyi and Ekiti States.
“Equally, the VSF also donated Video Conferencing facilities to the NCDC and ICT equipment and technical support to the Federal Ministry of Health.
“The next phase of the interventions which will commence soon, will focus on: Kaduna, Katsina, Zamfara, Benue, Plateau and Niger states.”
He said it is worthy to note that the events were well publicised in the media and the Task Force was well received in all the States visited.

“VSF has set the pace in ensuring that the donations reached the beneficiaries in a timely manner.”

Continue Reading

National

Nigerians will wait for 41 years to get stable power -senate

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Nigerians will wait for 41 years to get stable power -senate
…Minister confirms none take off of $5.8billion Mambilla Power Project

The Senate on Monday raised the alarm that Nigerians may continue in the waiting game for the next 4 decades to experience the much expected stable power supply.
This it said is on account of gross underfunding of the power sector and apparent unseriousness being displayed by the Federal government in getting the sector fixed.


The senate Committee on Power was jolted by the submission of the Managing Director of Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), Engineer Mamman Saleh who disclosed that out of N165billion required for capital project in 2020, N4billlion envelope was approved while only N3billion was cash backed for the agency.
The committee therefore tackled the minister of power Mamman Kwagyang Saleh for giving hope on early provision of constant electricity in the power sector while Engineer Abdulaziz painted a gloomy picture at the budget defense of the ministry.
Senator Danjuma Goje a member of the senate committee expressed the concern that based on the presentation by the MD of TCN, N165B was proposed but the ministry handed them N4b envelope, hence he said it will take 41 years for TCN to deliver constant electricity when N165b is divided by N4b.
He said without ongoing projects being completed there is still no hope for stable transmission of power
“If you go by the ministers presentation that transmission gas increased from 5000 to 8000 megawatts, that is not enough, these are figures that you always dish out, that capacity has increased, transmission has increased, distribution has increased, Nigerians wants to see stable light in their homes and the manufacturers and industrialists want to have steady light.
“All these figures do not translate to electricity, what the MD TCN said is what you are supposed to tackle. You as minister should look at it. They need N165b to complete projects and you gave N4b envelope.
“We are not involved in this envelope thing, it is your duty as minister. The best we can do is within this ministry we take money from one parastal to another.
“We can not take money from outside. You as minister you are to go and defend TCN that N4b will take them 41 years when you divide N165b by N4b.
“By your speech minister, it gives us Hope but going by the speech of TCN the hope is very much slim.
This was just as the Minister of Power, admitted that the much acclaimed $5.8billion Mambilla Power Project is yet to take off .
Taking on the Minister over the Mambilla Power Project, the Chairman of the Committee, Senator Gabriel Suswam (PDP Benue North East), and other members like Senators Shaibu Lau ( PDP Taraba North), Danjuma Goje ( APC Gombe Central )  James Manager ( PDP Delta South) etc, wondered why no dime was allocated for the project in the 2021 budget .
Specifically, Senator Lau told the Committee members that despite promises upon promises made on the project by the Federal government on yearly basis , no access road to the project site, no any indication of site clearance talkless of possible grand breaking .
“Nothing in the proposed 2021 budget that concerns Mambilla, showing that there is no commitment from government.
“The truth about the project going by glaring realities on ground over the last ten years, is that Mambilla will not see the light of the day”. he said .
The Minister in his response, admitted that the project is yet to take off but that he was still trying to convince Mr President on it .
Accordimg to him, special fund of $200million targeted for the project is still in the office of the Chief of Staff while the N850million expected from Nigeria as 15% of the contract sum is yet to be paid.
The 85% balance of the contract sum, he added, is to be financed by the Chinese NEXIM Bank .
The yet to commence project he explained further is a 3,050 megawatts Hydroelectric power project which after completion will be the largest power generating installation in the country.
Apparently piqued by his submission, the Chairman of the Committee and other members said solution must be found to the Mambilla issue as part of solutions to epileptic power supply in the country.
Senator James Manager in particular said, going by the submission of the Minister, no seriousness from government on the project which accordimg to him, is getting Nigerians frustrated.
However the TCN MD in his submissions before the Committee said the transmission capacity of the country, has increased from 5, 000megawatts to 8,000megawatts .
“Inadequate funding by  government on yearly basis,remains the major problem of the TCN and by extension, the power sector .

Continue Reading

Metro

FG expends N16.4b for 87 fire trucks to boost fire service operation

Published

on

By

Spread the love

FG expends N16.4b for 87 fire trucks to boost fire service operation


The Federal Governmemt has expended N16.4b for the purchase of 87 fire fighting trucks to boost the operations of the Federal Fire Service across the country.The Assistant Comptroller general of Fire, Federal Operations Karibo Samson stated this over the weekend after conducting a fire exit drill at the Federal Secretariat, Phase 1, Abuja, in commemoration of the the 2020 International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction.It was part of the activities to in commemoration of the the 2020 International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction by the ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster management and Social Development.He countered insinuations that the approach to fire fighting has been lackadaisical saying the narrative is coming from 30 years hang over.”I went back 30 years because I have that much experience. We are enjoying a new lease of life in the fire service, it has never been like this before.”We have a spread of about 12 zones now. Federal Fire servicewise the federation is split into 12 zones.”So we have a reach into virtually every state in the country at the moment. This kind of trucks valued at cost of N189m and we have taken delivery of about 87 trucks of this nature so you now understand where I am coming from.”He said President Buhari has been very good to the fire service adding that the comptroller general has very good vision for the system that is why they have spread into all the zones in the country.”There is no fire officer that will take his fire vehicle into fire scene and will tell you there is no water whether at the federal or at the State level that will take a truck from the fire Station knowing there is no water in that vehicle and get to the fire scene and will begin to lament there is no water or fuel.”That narrative is in the last 30 years not now. If you go to any fire Station you will see this modern vehicle in every fire station that belongs to the Federal fire service.”On the Synergy with the State Fire service, he said they are in all the States of the Federation, sayjng they are not there to take over their jobs.”The Federal fire service is in nearly every State of the country now. Meanwhile we have the State fire service. Like in Abuja we have the FCT fire service responsible to the metropolis. Federal fire service is in all the States to compliment the efforts of the various State fire services, we are not there to take over their job.”He cautioned Nigerians the Harmattan is around the corner sayin being the peak period for fire occurrences he wants everybody to be safety conscious.He said there is no need to burn bushes which can not controled.”Always make sure you have fire extinguishers that are workable around you, in your houses, in your vehicles.”There are places you might call us of which there may be no network to get across to us. You must be fire safety conscious by getting fire extinguishers, fire blankets to assist you in the kitchen and then make sure you have our contact number.”You can also reach the fire service on 112, if you call 112 from anywhere in the country we will turn out the nearest fire station to that scene. “Those of you in Abuja you can reach us on our control.room phone number. Immediately you call that number somebody is going to respond to you.”Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq, said more than 20 public and private buildings witnessed varying degrees of fire incidents this year

Farouq said the purpose of the fire exit/evacuation drill was to ensure effective and efficient use of the exit facilities available in the case of emergency.She noted that such drills would ensure orderly exit under control and prevention of panic that had been responsible for much of the loss of lives in major fire disasters.The minister said, “What we have just done is remarkable, considering the series of incidences of fire disasters in public and private buildings in Nigeria.“In 2020 alone, we have witnessed more than 20 fire incidents in both public and private buildings.“Experience and research have shown that panic, stampede and smoke inhalation rather than burns from fire have been responsible for loss of lives in the major fire disaster history.”Farouq noted that the 13th of October every year had been set aside by the United Nations to raise awareness, educate the public and to mobilise political will and resources in ensuring disaster risk reduction globally.

Continue Reading

Trending