Connect with us

Africa

7 #EndSARS protesters to be kicked out of Egypt says Dabiri-Erewa

Published

on

Spread the love

7 #EndSARS protesters to be kicked out of Egypt says Dabiri-Erewa

Seven Nigerians who took active part in the #EndSARS protest in Egypt have been scheduled to be deported, Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, has said.

She made the disclosure in a series of tweets on Monday from her verified twitter handle.
Eight Nigerians were earlier arrested in Cairo, Egypt for protesting against police brutality, extra-judicial killings, and bad governance in that country.
After their arrest, appeals were made to NIDCOM to intervene and secure the release of the Nigerians.
Dabiri on Mondsy said seven of the detained Nigerians are to be deported for “lack of resident permits”.
According to her, the Federal Government is pleading for leniency on behalf of the seven Nigerians scheduled for deportation.
She tweeted, “Update on the eight Nigerians detained in Cairo for protesting without a permit – Seven of them are to be deported to Nigeria for lack of resident permits. The only one that has a Residency will get final clearance from the Minister of Interior after signing an undertaking not go against the laws of Egypt.
“The Nigerian mission in Egypt is still appealing for leniency on behalf of the seven slated for deportation.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Africa

Buhari mourns chadian leader Deby, says his demise is Setback in eliminating terrorism

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Buhari mourns chadian leader Deby, says his demise is Setback in eliminating terrorism

President Muhammadu Buhari, has reacted to the sudden death of Chadian leader Déby saying it create a vacuum in the efforts to eliminate terrorism.
He expressed deep sorrow over his sudden and tragic death on the frontline fighting against rebel soldiers.
Buhari said: “The late Deby had played a very active role in our regional joint collaboration in the military campaign against the Boko Haram terrorists.”
He noted that the death of the Chadian leader would “create a big vacuum in the efforts to jointly confront the Boko Haram terrorists and the Islamic State West Africa Province.”
He said: “I’m deeply shocked and devastated by the sudden death of Idriss Déby on the battlefront to defend the sovereignty of his country.”
Buhari described the late leader “as a friend of Nigeria who had enthusiastically lent his hand in our efforts to defeat the murderous Boko Haram terrorists that have posed grave security challenges not only for Nigeria, but also our African neighbours, particularly Chad, Cameroon and Niger Republic.”
Buhari, in a condolence message to the people of Chad and their new leader
through a statement issued yesterday, by Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, called for greater collaboration to defeat the terrorists.
The president had only on Monday expressed shock and sadness at the latest unrest in Chad, where at least 55 people were killed and more than 40 got injured when ethnic groups in the South Eastern Region of Salamat clashed last week.
Also, the slain Chadian leader had visited Nigeria on March 27, days before his country’s presidential election.
During the one-day visit, he was received by Buhari at the State House House in Abuja, where both leaders discussed bilateral issues, including the security challenges of the insurgency around their nations’ borders and the threat posed to about 30 million people by the shrunken Lake Chad.

President Buhari mourns chadian leader Deby, says his demise is setback in eliminating terrorism

President Muhammadu Buhari, has reacted to the sudden death of Chadian leader Déby saying it create a vacuum in the efforts to eliminate terrorism.
He expressed deep sorrow over his sudden and tragic death on the frontline fighting against rebel soldiers.
Buhari said: “The late Deby had played a very active role in our regional joint collaboration in the military campaign against the Boko Haram terrorists.”
He noted that the death of the Chadian leader would “create a big vacuum in the efforts to jointly confront the Boko Haram terrorists and the Islamic State West Africa Province.”
He said: “I’m deeply shocked and devastated by the sudden death of Idriss Déby on the battlefront to defend the sovereignty of his country.”
Buhari described the late leader “as a friend of Nigeria who had enthusiastically lent his hand in our efforts to defeat the murderous Boko Haram terrorists that have posed grave security challenges not only for Nigeria, but also our African neighbours, particularly Chad, Cameroon and Niger Republic.”
Buhari, in a condolence message to the people of Chad and their new leader
through a statement issued yesterday, by Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, called for greater collaboration to defeat the terrorists.
The president had only on Monday expressed shock and sadness at the latest unrest in Chad, where at least 55 people were killed and more than 40 got injured when ethnic groups in the South Eastern Region of Salamat clashed last week.
Also, the slain Chadian leader had visited Nigeria on March 27, days before his country’s presidential election.
During the one-day visit, he was received by Buhari at the State House House in Abuja, where both leaders discussed bilateral issues, including the security challenges of the insurgency around their nations’ borders and the threat posed to about 30 million people by the shrunken Lake Chad.

Continue Reading

Africa

Intelligence report indicates Chad President’s death will expose Nigerian Army to More B’Haram attacks

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Intelligence report indicates Chad President’s Death will expose Nigerian Army to more B’Haram attacks

The death of Chad President Idriss Deby on Tuesday is bad omen for the Nigerian Army in the Lake Chad area, as the Boko Haram insurgents now have a larger stronghold to launch more violent attacks on military troops and bases, according to a report by the SB Morgen Intelligence.

The SB Intel report released on Tuesday added that the security situation already in Damasak and Dikwa, two Borno towns close to the Chadian border, is dangerous at the moment and has forced humanitarian agencies and workers to flee the towns, making them more vulnerable.

The African-focused research firm, in its April 2021 report, stated that the Nigerian military now has a lot more work to do in the Multi-National Joint Task Force monitoring the Lake Chad region, which despite consisting of four countries, has Nigeria and Chad as the only active combatants.
The SB Intel report obtained by SaharaReporters said, “Geographically, Chad is at the heart of a number of conflicts in West and Central Africa. To its west, Déby had been a key ally for Nigeria in its fight against Boko Haram. The Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) operation which was supposed to include cooperation with Niger, Cameroon and Chad, ended up being a largely Nigerian operation with input from only the Chadian army.

“Chadian forces were largely restricted within the country’s borders, with the bulk of the fighting in Lake Chad done by the Nigerian military. For Nigeria, Déby’s death is not good news as the battle-hardened Chadian Army has been the only effective check on Boko Haram. While his son, Mahamat Déby Itno is at the moment the de-facto head of the military council, there is no clear successor to Mr Déby as he was effectively the state.
“The 37-year old Mahamat Déby has been a military brat all his life and has limited administrative or political experience. A succession battle, which is almost certain, would mean that the insurgents will have no worries about their flanks and can attack the Nigerian Army at will.

“This will likely mean the consolidation of the Lake Chad Basin as a staging area for the insurgents from where to launch attacks on towns and military bases. Already, the security situation in Damasak and Dikwa, Nigerian towns close to the Chadian border, has become untenable, forcing UN staff to suspend humanitarian operations.”
The report said the passing away of Deby leaves a “big gap” in Nigeria, a neighbouring country that is likely to have a profound impact on its security.

“This opens a brand new challenge – Nigeria either steps up in the region and ensures peace both within its borders and in this huge arc of instability, or the strip of relative stability in Southern Nigeria will be engulfed by the collapse of our near abroad.
“The growing external instability around Nigeria will soon become existential, and based on precedents, Deby’s passing would be blamed (by the Nigerian government) on any reversal of progress in the fight against Boko Haram in the North East It must be treated with the urgency it deserves,” it added.
Source: Sahara Reporters

Continue Reading

Africa

Chad’s President dies from injuries sustained from battle field

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Chad’s President dies from injuries sustained from battle field

The Chadian President Idriss Deby has died on the battlefield after three decades in power, the army announced on state television on Tuesday.
The shocking news came only a day after the 68-year-old was proclaimed the winner of a presidential election that had given him a sixth term in office.
The army said the President had been commanding his army at the weekend as it battled against rebels who had launched a major incursion into the north of the country on election day.
Deby “has just breathed his last breath defending the sovereign nation on the battlefield,” army spokesman General Azem Bermandoa Agouna said in a statement read out on state television.
Deby, 68, had ruled Chad with an iron fist for three decades but was a key ally in the West’s anti-jihadist campaign in the troubled Sahel region.
The army said a military council led by the late president’s 37-year-old son Mahamat Idriss Deby Itno, a four-star general, would replace him.
On Monday, the army had claimed a “great victory” in its battle against the rebels from neighbouring Libya, saying it had killed 300 fighters, with the loss of five soldiers in its own ranks during eight days of combat.

Continue Reading

Trending