Connect with us

Metro

‘Abuja-Kaduna -Kano road contract is inflated by over N60b’

Published

on

Spread the love

‘Abuja-Kaduna -Kano road contract is inflated by over N60b’


The contract for the construction of the Abuja-Kaduna-Kano dual carriage way was inflated by over N60b House of Representatives Committee on Works has alleged.

The contract was awarded to Julius Berger Nigeria at the cost of N155b with a completion period of 36 weeks was over priced.

The committee, led by Mr. Abubakar Kabir Abubakar in its oversight function on the project argued that as at the time the contract was awarded, there were other companies that bidded for about N90b for the 375 kilometre road project.


On the contrary, officials of the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing disagreed with the legislators over the unit cost of constructing road.

Abubakar lamented that it was unfortunate that there is no commensurate work done compared to the monies paid to the construction giant so far. He claimed that the construction firm is yet to accomplish more than 20 per cent of the total work after collecting about N70b from the Federal Government. 

“You are not talking to novice. You are talking to professionals. The unit cost per kilometre for this project is about N450m. We are not dumb. The cost is too high. Julius Berger says they signed for rehabilitation and now they are doing reconstruction. But even at that, the cost is far above the cost of a virgin road anywhere in the world.

“We have to protect the interest of Nigerians because this is our country. We don’t have any other country to call our own. We don’t want anybody to send a memo to the President later regarding to funding for this project. What we are saying is that the cost for this project is too high. We know of some companies that quoted N90b for this project, but we don’t want to mention names. We have several petitions regarding this project in the House. The cost was initially N159b before it was scaled down to N155b. There is nine months left on the contract and we must emphasise that it must be delivered on schedule…”

The Zonal Director in charge of North West, Ministry of Works said the road under construction was the first of its kind in the north, comparable to the Lagos-Ibadan road and designed to last for 30 years.

Representatives of Julius Berger, Mark Jefferson assured the committee that the work will be delivered on schedule, be it was quick to add that the only problem that may delay the project will be the issue of compensation and relocation, which is being handled by the Ministry.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

VSF task force on COVID-19 insists, all of its palliatives got to targeted beneficiaries

Published

on

By

Spread the love

VSF task force on COVID-19 insists, all of its palliatives got to targeted beneficiaries

The Victims Support Fund (VSF) Emergency task Force has stated categorically that all its support items from its Phase 1 and 2 donations had been distributed to targeted beneficiaries by the State governments and CSOs.
This was coming against the backdrop of recent narratives that many States hoarded palliatives meant for the vulnerable groups to cushion the effect of the six months lockdown on account of the Coronavirus pandermic.
The Spokesman Victims Support Fund
Covid-19 Emergency Task Force Alkasim Abdulkadir in a statement issued in Abuja on Tuesday said, the attention of the Task Force was drawn to stories especially on social media on the unsettling matter of government and private warehouses being broken into across the country.

He said in the first phase of their intervention, the Task Force identified six states including the frontline states, in addition to the Federal Capital Territory. “These were Lagos and Ogun States as epicentres of the pandemic in Nigeria. Others were four North East States (Borno, Adamawa, Yobe and Taraba) targeting the IDPs as the most vulnerable population needing palliative measures.
“The task force is therefore compelled by the happenings around the country to clearly state that:
The VSF Task Force on COVID was inaugurated by the Chairman of the Victims Support Fund, Gen. Theophilus Yakubu RTD Danjuma in April 2020 adding that it was set up as a vehicle to provide succour to vulnerable populations hit by the effects of Covid-19.
“The task force worked with State Governments and Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) to identify and distribute the palliatives to vulnerable households.
“All VSF Covid -19 Emergency Task force items are clearly branded ‘VICTIMS SUPPORT FUND COVID -19 EMERGENCY SUPPORT PROGRAMME’
He said the task force did not collaborate with any other organisation apart from the local CSOs
“The food items were identified and procured for distribution to households across the six states and the FCT.
“Each household received the following: rice, 10Kg; beans, 10Kg; garri, 10Kg (Lagos and Ogun States only); maize, 10Kg (FCT and the North East only); vegetable oil, four (4) litres, and salt two (2) Kg. “Other items that addressed hygiene like hand washing soaps, detergents, masks, Hazmat suits, goggles, boots, were also procured and distributed. All these were packaged in one 50kg bag.”
He said in the second phase, the focus of the interventions was on Edo, Delta, Enugu, Ebonyi and Ekiti States.
“Equally, the VSF also donated Video Conferencing facilities to the NCDC and ICT equipment and technical support to the Federal Ministry of Health.
“The next phase of the interventions which will commence soon, will focus on: Kaduna, Katsina, Zamfara, Benue, Plateau and Niger states.”
He said it is worthy to note that the events were well publicised in the media and the Task Force was well received in all the States visited.

“VSF has set the pace in ensuring that the donations reached the beneficiaries in a timely manner.”

Continue Reading

Metro

FG expends N16.4b for 87 fire trucks to boost fire service operation

Published

on

By

Spread the love

FG expends N16.4b for 87 fire trucks to boost fire service operation


The Federal Governmemt has expended N16.4b for the purchase of 87 fire fighting trucks to boost the operations of the Federal Fire Service across the country.The Assistant Comptroller general of Fire, Federal Operations Karibo Samson stated this over the weekend after conducting a fire exit drill at the Federal Secretariat, Phase 1, Abuja, in commemoration of the the 2020 International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction.It was part of the activities to in commemoration of the the 2020 International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction by the ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster management and Social Development.He countered insinuations that the approach to fire fighting has been lackadaisical saying the narrative is coming from 30 years hang over.”I went back 30 years because I have that much experience. We are enjoying a new lease of life in the fire service, it has never been like this before.”We have a spread of about 12 zones now. Federal Fire servicewise the federation is split into 12 zones.”So we have a reach into virtually every state in the country at the moment. This kind of trucks valued at cost of N189m and we have taken delivery of about 87 trucks of this nature so you now understand where I am coming from.”He said President Buhari has been very good to the fire service adding that the comptroller general has very good vision for the system that is why they have spread into all the zones in the country.”There is no fire officer that will take his fire vehicle into fire scene and will tell you there is no water whether at the federal or at the State level that will take a truck from the fire Station knowing there is no water in that vehicle and get to the fire scene and will begin to lament there is no water or fuel.”That narrative is in the last 30 years not now. If you go to any fire Station you will see this modern vehicle in every fire station that belongs to the Federal fire service.”On the Synergy with the State Fire service, he said they are in all the States of the Federation, sayjng they are not there to take over their jobs.”The Federal fire service is in nearly every State of the country now. Meanwhile we have the State fire service. Like in Abuja we have the FCT fire service responsible to the metropolis. Federal fire service is in all the States to compliment the efforts of the various State fire services, we are not there to take over their job.”He cautioned Nigerians the Harmattan is around the corner sayin being the peak period for fire occurrences he wants everybody to be safety conscious.He said there is no need to burn bushes which can not controled.”Always make sure you have fire extinguishers that are workable around you, in your houses, in your vehicles.”There are places you might call us of which there may be no network to get across to us. You must be fire safety conscious by getting fire extinguishers, fire blankets to assist you in the kitchen and then make sure you have our contact number.”You can also reach the fire service on 112, if you call 112 from anywhere in the country we will turn out the nearest fire station to that scene. “Those of you in Abuja you can reach us on our control.room phone number. Immediately you call that number somebody is going to respond to you.”Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq, said more than 20 public and private buildings witnessed varying degrees of fire incidents this year

Farouq said the purpose of the fire exit/evacuation drill was to ensure effective and efficient use of the exit facilities available in the case of emergency.She noted that such drills would ensure orderly exit under control and prevention of panic that had been responsible for much of the loss of lives in major fire disasters.The minister said, “What we have just done is remarkable, considering the series of incidences of fire disasters in public and private buildings in Nigeria.“In 2020 alone, we have witnessed more than 20 fire incidents in both public and private buildings.“Experience and research have shown that panic, stampede and smoke inhalation rather than burns from fire have been responsible for loss of lives in the major fire disaster history.”Farouq noted that the 13th of October every year had been set aside by the United Nations to raise awareness, educate the public and to mobilise political will and resources in ensuring disaster risk reduction globally.

Continue Reading

Metro

#ENDSARS: Buhari’s Daughter carpets State Govts over hoarded palliatives

Published

on

By

Spread the love

#ENDSARS: Buhari’s Daughter carpets State Govts over hoarded palliatives

That most State Governments hoarded COVID-19 palliatives meant to be distributed to vulnerable Nigerians to cushion the effect of months of lockdown occasioned by the Coronavirus pandermic inducares that President Muhammadu Buhari is not the problem of Nigeria.
This was the position of one of the daughters of President Mrs. Zahra Buhari-Indimi.
She said that the discovery of food items and other COVID-19 palliatives in several warehouses across different States of the country has revealed that her father is not the problem of Nigeria afterall.
Zahra on her Instagram page said; “Now that people confirmed that Buhari distributed enough palliatives nationwide, it is clear Buhari is not our problem,” Zahra opined.

Thousands of Nigerians in different States particularly Lagos, Cross Rivers, Kaduna, Kwara, Plateau, Osun, Ekiti, Taraba, Adamawa, FCT amongst others, plundered warehouses where tons of COVID-19 palliatives donated by the private sector-led Coalition Against COVID-19 were stored.

Some of the items for the palliatives that included bags of rice, maize, cartons of noodles, bags of garri and salt, vegetable oil were also found in private homes of some notable politicians.

Continue Reading

Trending