Connect with us

Top News

Bello mocks INEC says it must have been his ghost that did the second registration

Published

on

Spread the love

Bello mocks INEC says it must have been his ghost that did the second registration

The Kogi State Governor Alhaji Yahaya Bello has bemused the entire nation with a tale that can only be told to the marines as he regaled newsmen in the Presidency with an incredulous story that it must be his ghost that did the second INEC registration.

Bello, who was at the presidency for his Friday Jumat prayers, as he has become accustomed to said he travelled on the 19th to Dubai for a brief holiday when he saw the INEC press statement accusing him of the double registration.

“I was taken aback that I did double registration on 23rd. Probably it is my ghost that has done the double registration. I think INEC has earned itself a very high reputation and I think and I am very confident that the leadership if INEC will not allow some element in INEC to drag the name of the Commission into the mud.
“Surely that’s a falsehood I did not do double registration of permanent voters card.”
It would be recalled that in his May 29th Anniverssary speech delivered at the Lokoja Local Government secretariat he had said he will not join issues with the electoral body .
He however said some of the overzealous staff of INEC have not left their old ways of attempting to corrupt politicians.
In his words,
“You can not rule out some overzealous staff in INEC who are used to old ways as people corrupting the politicians but those days are over. They should not drag the name of that institution in to the mud.

“I have confidence that our erudite professor Mahmoud Yakubu will build on the legacies left behind for him we will never join issues with INEC.”

On the attack by Senator Melaye and his group he said he did not reckon that any person of repute was really talking but that when a human being is talking then he will respond.
Continuing he said does not see anything tangible coming out of their attack saying he does nit think he has to waste his time in responding to whatever side distraction.
‘Honestly speaking I am too focused to be distracted.’

“Kogi state has suffered for over 25 years before I came on board and the good people of Kogi state are really appreciative of the efforts we are putting forward to make sure that Kogi state is well developed, so any side distraction is not something I should pay attention to because the people are with me.”
On the issue if some prominent elders of State who asked the state Assembly to impeach him because he had not recorded any success in the State he said, “When you talk of prominent Kogi People, I don’t think there is any prominent person in Kogi State that would say anything like that. So far so good there are many achievements from security to infrastructural development to civil service reforms and pension reform scheme to job creation.
“You see that there is whole lot of multilateral Agencies, Ambassadors are all visiting Kogi State. It is owing to the development and the efforts we’ve put forward to put Kogi state on the development map that’s why you see them coming over.
“Go to Kogi state website you will see what we have done in 15 months that we have been in the office.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Labour disowns FG over petrol price hike, as it asks for reversal to N160

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Labour disowns FG over petrol price hike, as it asks for reversal to N160

**decries FG insincerity

The organised Labour has expressed disappointment with the Federal Government over its high level of insincerity with the union.
The general secretary of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Emma Ugboajah indicated that labour movement’s agreement with Government was for local refineries to be be rehabilitated to boost local refining.
He said almost eight weeks after the negotiations, the Federal Government has not shown any commitment to all the items that were agreed upon.
He stressed that out of 161 buses that are powered gas, none of them has been supplied to the movement.
“We never supported deregulation that is anchored on price increment. Our minimum request is that the Federal Government must reverse back to N160,” Ugboajah said. “We agreed that the refineries should be out to work. We have not seen any work in that regard.
Also, we have seen the NNPC maintaining a stranglehold on importation.”
He said the are demanding for a reversal of recent hike in the petrol price adding that they did not endorse deregulation that is anchored on price.

He said the strikers option is still opened for them to explore

The President of Trade Union Congress (TUC), Quadri Olaleye, said things are going out of hand if urgent steps are not taken.
His words: “We cannot pretend that things are not going right. It seems government wants to create crisis when none exists. We have been coming here to ensure the hardship on the people is reduced.
He accused the Government of sponsoring miscreants who torment them with insults through text messages on daily bases making almost impossible for them to move freely

“Academic staffers have been on strike. We set up a committee for more than two months and nothing has happened. A month to the end of the year, nothing has been done. If today’s meeting does not solve the problem, we will mobilise outselve and stage a walk out of the meeting. I hope today’s meeting will be productive. ”
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, said the meeting was supposed to have been held in October but for #EndSars protests that rocked the nation last month.
Ngige said the Federal Government is ready to begin rolling out the palliatives as from today, Monday.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha said government is already working on some of the agreed area such as reduction of tariff on the importation of cars from 35% to 10% and other steps that the Federal Government has taken.









Continue Reading

Top News

Lekki shooting: Army debunks use of live ammunition allegation

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Lekki shooting: Army debunks use of live ammunition allegation

The Nigerian Army has debunked allegations that it used live ammunition on unarmed #EndSARS protesters, during the alleged Oct. 20 shooting at the Lekki Tollgate.
The Army made its position known when it appeared before the Lagos Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution for Victims of SARS Related Abuses and Other Matters.
Commander of the 81 Division, Military Intelligence Brigade, Victoria Island, Lagos, Brig.-Gen. Ahmed Taiwo, who testified on behalf of the Nigerian Army said that the military had fired blank ammunition into the air to disperse protesters on the night of the alleged shooting.
Taiwo, who gave a presentation to the panel with the use of a projector, played a footage which showed soldiers standing in front of singing protesters and firing their weapons into the air.
He said there would have been a lot of fatalities if the 600m live ammunition normally used by the military were used to disperse the #EndSARS protesters.
“I have been in the army since 1986 and you cannot be under fire and be singing.
“The entry hole for the 600m is thin while the exit is wide, if it hits you in the chest or the bowels, the intestines come down.
“I am an expert in ammunition having spent so long in the army. Blank ammunition is slower and can do no damage to the flesh and you have nothing to fear except you take a rifle, put it against your eye and fire.
“Even if you put it against your skin and fire you will only have burn marks,” he said.
Taiwo said that troops had managed to disperse most of the #EndSARS protesters, and had even shared drinks from protesters who had remained at the Lekki Tollgate.
He said he was monitoring the situation on the internet, and that it was after the departure of the soldiers that hoodlums set the tollgate on fire.
He said that non-kinetic (non violent) means was used in the Army’s rules of engagement during the protests.
Following his revelation, Taiwo through the counsel of the Nigerian Army, Mr Akinlolu Kehinde (SAN), presented four spent blank ammunition to the panel as evidence.
Taiwo said there was a lapse in communication between the Lagos State Government and the Nigerian Army regarding the imposing and lifting of the curfew.
“Due to the urgency of the security situation in the state, the governor declared a 24-hour curfew which was supposed to start at 4pm.
“They wanted everyone off the streets to deal with the hoodlums, but after some observations the timing was shifted to 21:00 hours, but this timing was not communicated to the Nigerian Army.
“Be that as it may, we the Nigerian Army had already immediately deployed the 65 Battalion under the 81 Division Garrison to forestal all further violence and loss of lives.
“It is important to note that this deployment of troops contrary to reports, was done throughout Lagos to activate Phase 4 of the Internal Security Operations,” Taiwo said.
The officer told the panel that the Army had entered the Stabilisation Phase of the Internal Security Operations, and had started recovering looted items when the Lagos State Government lifted the curfew without informing them.
“We were still recovering a lot of looted items which were given back to the owners on production of receipt or proof of ownership.
“If the curfew was not lifted we would have recovered a 100 times more than the items we recovered,” Taiwo said.

Continue Reading

Top News

2021: Tougher year ahead for Boko Haram as Air Force deploys Super Tucano Fighter jets

Published

on

By

Spread the love

2021: Tougher year ahead for Boko Haram as Air Force deploys Super Tucano Fighter jets

2021 promises to be tough for the Boko Haram Islamist terrorist group, as the Nigeria Air Force is cock sure of taking delivery of the six Super Tucano aircraft procured by the Federal Government.

The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshall Sadique Abubakar has disclosed that the fighter jets would be delivered to Nigeria from the U.S. before the second quarter of 2021.

He made the disclosure when he appeared before the House of Representatives Committee on Air Force to defend the force’s N142.4 billion 2021 budgetary allocation,

The Super Tucano is touted to be capable of supporting basic and advanced flight and combat training, close air support operations, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR), armed over-watch, counterinsurgency, and irregular warfare scenarios, among others.
Abubakar explained that the force has concluded arrangement to fix the Kainji runway ahead of the arrival of the fighter jets.
In his words, “The Super Tucano aircraft is coming to Kainji. The runway in Kainji is not really in good shape for now. We will not want to contract the job out due to paucity of funds. But we have our civil engineers and outworks personnel that can be mobilised through direct labour to achieve repairs of that runway before the arrival of the Super Tucano in the second quarter of next year.”
The NAF chief disclosed that the force was also expecting additional 17 aircraft, in addition to the 22 aircraft already procured that are at the disposal of the force.
He also said there were three other special mission aircraft at the disposal of the force under the deep blue project of the Federal Ministry of Transportation.

Continue Reading

Trending