Connect with us

National

Buhari’s return has nothing to do with protesters’

Published

on

Spread the love

‘Buhari’s return has nothing to do with protesters’

The decision for President Muhammadu Buhari to return today, Saturday has no connection with the protests against his continued stay in London.
The Special Adviser on media and publicity, Femi Adesina, who spoke with journalists at the Presidential wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja while awaiting the arrival of the President, pointed out the President had already planned to arrive Saturday before the protest commencef

In his words,

“The return of the President has nothing to do with the protest. It is about continuing with the work he started.”
“Some of us knew about his return some days back. Remember that the acting President held on effectively and they will continue the work together.
“We left the work of announcement with the managers of the acting President,” he said
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari returned home on Saturday after spending more than 100 days in London receiving treatment for an undisclosed illness.

His plane touched down around 4:35 pm at the international airport in Abuja.

Wearing a black caftan with a cap to match, the 74-year-old left the aircraft unaided and was met by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and other senior government officials, including ministers, security chiefs and state governors.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Nigerians will wait for 41 years to get stable power -senate

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Nigerians will wait for 41 years to get stable power -senate
…Minister confirms none take off of $5.8billion Mambilla Power Project

The Senate on Monday raised the alarm that Nigerians may continue in the waiting game for the next 4 decades to experience the much expected stable power supply.
This it said is on account of gross underfunding of the power sector and apparent unseriousness being displayed by the Federal government in getting the sector fixed.


The senate Committee on Power was jolted by the submission of the Managing Director of Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), Engineer Mamman Saleh who disclosed that out of N165billion required for capital project in 2020, N4billlion envelope was approved while only N3billion was cash backed for the agency.
The committee therefore tackled the minister of power Mamman Kwagyang Saleh for giving hope on early provision of constant electricity in the power sector while Engineer Abdulaziz painted a gloomy picture at the budget defense of the ministry.
Senator Danjuma Goje a member of the senate committee expressed the concern that based on the presentation by the MD of TCN, N165B was proposed but the ministry handed them N4b envelope, hence he said it will take 41 years for TCN to deliver constant electricity when N165b is divided by N4b.
He said without ongoing projects being completed there is still no hope for stable transmission of power
“If you go by the ministers presentation that transmission gas increased from 5000 to 8000 megawatts, that is not enough, these are figures that you always dish out, that capacity has increased, transmission has increased, distribution has increased, Nigerians wants to see stable light in their homes and the manufacturers and industrialists want to have steady light.
“All these figures do not translate to electricity, what the MD TCN said is what you are supposed to tackle. You as minister should look at it. They need N165b to complete projects and you gave N4b envelope.
“We are not involved in this envelope thing, it is your duty as minister. The best we can do is within this ministry we take money from one parastal to another.
“We can not take money from outside. You as minister you are to go and defend TCN that N4b will take them 41 years when you divide N165b by N4b.
“By your speech minister, it gives us Hope but going by the speech of TCN the hope is very much slim.
This was just as the Minister of Power, admitted that the much acclaimed $5.8billion Mambilla Power Project is yet to take off .
Taking on the Minister over the Mambilla Power Project, the Chairman of the Committee, Senator Gabriel Suswam (PDP Benue North East), and other members like Senators Shaibu Lau ( PDP Taraba North), Danjuma Goje ( APC Gombe Central )  James Manager ( PDP Delta South) etc, wondered why no dime was allocated for the project in the 2021 budget .
Specifically, Senator Lau told the Committee members that despite promises upon promises made on the project by the Federal government on yearly basis , no access road to the project site, no any indication of site clearance talkless of possible grand breaking .
“Nothing in the proposed 2021 budget that concerns Mambilla, showing that there is no commitment from government.
“The truth about the project going by glaring realities on ground over the last ten years, is that Mambilla will not see the light of the day”. he said .
The Minister in his response, admitted that the project is yet to take off but that he was still trying to convince Mr President on it .
Accordimg to him, special fund of $200million targeted for the project is still in the office of the Chief of Staff while the N850million expected from Nigeria as 15% of the contract sum is yet to be paid.
The 85% balance of the contract sum, he added, is to be financed by the Chinese NEXIM Bank .
The yet to commence project he explained further is a 3,050 megawatts Hydroelectric power project which after completion will be the largest power generating installation in the country.
Apparently piqued by his submission, the Chairman of the Committee and other members said solution must be found to the Mambilla issue as part of solutions to epileptic power supply in the country.
Senator James Manager in particular said, going by the submission of the Minister, no seriousness from government on the project which accordimg to him, is getting Nigerians frustrated.
However the TCN MD in his submissions before the Committee said the transmission capacity of the country, has increased from 5, 000megawatts to 8,000megawatts .
“Inadequate funding by  government on yearly basis,remains the major problem of the TCN and by extension, the power sector .

Continue Reading

National

May God visit his wrath on all evil “leaders” exposed by #ENDSARS -Natasha Akpoti

Published

on

By

Spread the love

May God visit his wrath on all evil “leaders” exposed by #ENDSARS -Natasha Akpoti

As Kogi palliative warehouse was discovered at Kpata opposite Old Market in Lokoja Sinday the Social Democratic Party (SDP) Candidate in the State Governorship election, November last year, Natasha Akpoti has asked God to send his wrath on all evil leaders.

This was according to the comment she posted on her verified facebook wall.

She said it’s wickedness of the highest order for government to hoard food items from the poor in the depth of poverty and starvation. 

“May the wrath of God and the masses visit all ‘leaders’ whose evil tactics have been exposed in these #EndSARS times. 

“I know say my Kogi people no go disappoint … abeg pack and no forget to give some to your neighbours.” 

Continue Reading

National

Our problem with #ENDSARS protest was the hijack by miscreants says Buhari

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Our problem with #ENDSARS protest was the hijack by miscreants says Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has explained to former Heads of State and Presidents of Nigeria, that the initial genuine and well-intended protest of youths in parts of the country against the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) was hijacked and misdirected.

In a virtual meeting with the former leaders, Buhari said he could not have folded his arms and allow miscreants and criminals continue to perpetrate acts of hooliganism in the country.
These were contained in a statement that was issued in Abuja Friday by his special adviser
(Media & Publicity) Femi Adesina
In the statement Buhari reeled out the initial concessions made by his administration on the demands of youths protesting against the excesses of some members of the SARS.

He recalled that the youths had demanded that the squad be disbanded, and further articulated the additional demands, including:

”The immediate release of all arrested protesters.

”Justice for deceased victims of police brutality and appropriate compensation for their families.

”Setting up an independent body to oversee the investigation and prosecution of all reports of Police misconduct within 10 days.

”Psychological evaluation and re-training of all disbanded SARS officers before they can be re-deployed; and increase in Police salary.”

The President declared: ”We accepted all the demands and proceeded immediately to scrap SARS and started the process of addressing the other demands.

”Unfortunately, the protesters refused to call off the protest and engage the Government to address their grievances. Instead, they became emboldened and gradually turned violent.”

President Buhari expressed concern that in the mayhem that ensued, many lives were lost, while a number of public and private properties completely destroyed or vandalized.
The President reaffirmed that,

”We will continue to improve good governance through our democratic process including through sustained engagement.

”We shall also continue to ensure that liberty and freedom, as well as the fundamental rights of all citizens are protected. Here, I want to also reaffirm our commitment to preserving the unity of this country.”

He thanked the former Heads of State for attending the meeting and their invaluable comments, observations and advice, adding that ”Nigerians expect nothing less from responsible statesmen.”

Each of the former leaders commended President Buhari for steps taken so far to restore calm and order to the country and also applauded the presidential broadcast of Thursday as detailed and soothing to the country.

”I commend the speech of last night. The nation had been waiting. You made points that I believe need to be commended. Peaceful demonstration is part of democratic practice. The demands of the genuine protesters were accepted, and you are working on implementation. We commend you,” former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, said.

The former heads of state were unanimous in their view that generation of employment and growing the economy including through direct foreign investments were critical to checking youth restiveness.

They also expressed their condolences to the bereaved families of civilians, policemen and soldiers killed as a result of the violent protest, and reaffirmed the commitment to respect the fundamental rights of citizens, including for peaceful protest as enshrined in the Constitution.

The former Heads of State also condemned the divisive and inciting pronouncements of separatists, and were of the opinion that such acts should be stopped.

Equally, the former Leaders commended the actions taken by Governors to address the demands of the ENDSARS protesters and their efforts to check the excesses of those who perpetrated violent acts and conduct.

Finally, they called on youths to pursue peaceful means, in seeking redress through engagement with Government and encouraged further conversation with the youths and other stakeholders in the country.
At the meeting were all living past leaders, including: Gen. Yakubu Gowon, President Olusegun Obasanjo, Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, Chief Ernest Shonekan, Gen. Abulsalami Abubakar, and former President Goodluck Jonathan.

Continue Reading

Trending