Connect with us

Metro

Construction coy seeks justice over machete cuts inflicted on staffers by AMAC task force

Published

on

Spread the love

Construction coy seeks justice over machete cuts inflicted on staffers by AMAC task force

By Mustapha Sumaila

Complex Nigeria Limited, a construction company is asking the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) to take action on men of Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC) task force that unleashed mayhem on its staffers.

The Managing Director of the company, Alhaji Abdulhamid Zari while addressing newsmen in Abuja on Thursday expressed dismay on the development.

Zari who displayed the pictures of his seven staffers allegedly macheted by men of AMAC task force appealed to FCTA to urgently intervene before takes further appropriate action.

He said the call was necessary because it was wrong for some young men “to be on the high way with weapons in the name of revenue collections.

“The company which deals with environmental projects, construction and other businesses in FCT was registered in 2012.

“As a construction company, you must have service vehicles. These vehicles on daily basis move staff and materials from one point to another and this company has employed more than 2,000 workers.

“On Wednesday, I was called by the driver of this pickup that on his way to convey materials and take staff from Idu to our yard in Jahi, hoodlums blocked him at Gwarimpa junction and demanded that he should provide daily receipt of AMAC.

“And he said he works for a construction company and there is no need for him to have such receipt. From that point, these people insisted that it is either he pays the money or they will confiscate his vehicle and because they were in large number, he agreed to pay the money.

“They demanded for N200 and as soon as he paid, they demanded for the particulars of the vehicle which he showed them, then they observed that the car does not have a particular sticker for which they demanded for N35,000.

“So he was now forced to call superior officers of the company and before the officers arrived at where they were held from Idu, the task force had towed the vehicle to their office in Jabi.
“When the staff got there, it was already late in the evening.

“The moment they saw my staff coming, they started harassing them. They used cutlass to inflict bodily harm on seven of our workers. Some had matchet cuts on their heads, others had their hands chopped off” he explained.

He said the injured staffers had been hospitalised at Maitama General Hospital
while the matter had been taken to Utako police station, though, the police promised to invite the official of the task force but they were yet to do so.

Reacting, Mr Douglas Badi, Head of operations, AMAC Task Force on haulage, light and heavy duty vehicles said that it was the construction company workers that started the attack on the revenue officials.

He said, “When the driver was brought to the office he was instructed not to pack as we did want a situation where there would be having physical contact.

“He spoke to his superior officer who assured them that he was going to send his boys. I sat with some of our staff and I saw some boys numbering about 30 coming from the other side of the road where their vehicles were packed.

“We now sent two of our staff to the other side to do surveillance there. We traced them there and when we saw them, we asked the security to detain them.

“We came back to this place and the next thing we saw was that one of their staff struck our staff with a shovel on the face and on his hand.

“Right now, the doctors at the Gwarimpa General Hospital are going to carry out a major corrective surgery on his hand because it affected his vein to the extent that he cannot move his hand.

“When this happened we held the boys and in the process, the police said we should tow the hilux because we deflated the tyres.”

He said the vehicles had already been moved to the Police Station in Utako for further investigation”.

Effort to speak with the Police Divisional Officer in Utako failed as the officer on duty told correspondents that the person in charge was not on duty. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Pantami: Coalition of Civil Society Groups suspend mass rally

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Pantami: Coalition of Civil Society Groups suspend mass rally

The Coalition of Civil Society Groups have announced suspension of a mass rally to demand for the sack of embattled Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami.
A statement by Ibrahim Ahmadu and Osakwe Chigozie Michael, National Convener and Co-Convener, respectively said the rally expected to hold on Tuesday (today) was shelved due to security reasons and the fear that it could be hijacked by hoodlums.
The statement further disclosed that a new date will be announced for the shelved mass rally.
” The proposed rally against Minister of Communications, Dr Isa Pantami is hereby postponed till further notice after due consultations and consideration with adequate advice in line with security tips.
“While we regret the unfortunate call off, we avail ourselves this opportunity to inform our members to exercise patience and keep the spirit alive upon a viable and visible date for it.
” We regret all inconveniences.”

Checks revealed that the Minister of Communications has been accused of alleged link with the extremist group, Al-Queda and having sympathy for Taliban.

Audio recordings of Mr Pantami’s past teachings where he declared support for Al-Qaeda and Taliban resurfaced last week, with many Nigerians calling for his removal.

Mr Pantami, an Islamic cleric, denied any links with the groups. He, however, admitted making the controversial statements supporting the groups but said that his views on such extremist groups have changed.

Continue Reading

Metro

12 persons die in tanker explosion accident in Benue

Published

on

By

Spread the love

12 persons die in tanker explosion accident in Benue

Twelve persons have lost their lives in a tanker explosion accident that occured at Oshigbudu, Agatu Local Government Area of Benue on Sunday evening
Apart of the death of the 12 persons properties were also said to have been lost to the explosion.
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Public Education Officer, Benue Sector Command, Mr Oladele Meshach, issued a statement in Makurdi on Monday indicating that the explosion occured on Sunday evening.
Meshach said 12 persons lost their lives during the explosion, while property were also destroyed.
He quoted the Sector Commander, Mr Yakubu Mohammad, to have warned all petroleum tanker owners against non-use of
“Safety Valves” to guard against spillage of petroleum products, when involved in a crash. Mohammad called on all petroleum tanker owners to ensure immediate installation of Safety Valves on their tankers to ensure safety of lives, properties and the products they are transporting.
He said the “tanker lost its control, spilled fuel and bursted in flames”.
“Henceforth, any driver caught disobeying the road regulations will risk going to jail,” Mohammad warned.
According to him, it is disheartening to see petroleum tankers still plying the roads without safety valves fixed on them despite the February 2021 deadline earlier issued.
He assured members of the public that FRSC would ensure strict enforcement of road regulations and discipline.
Mohammad also advised tanker drivers to avoid giving their vehicles to their ‘motor boys’ to drive on the highways.

Continue Reading

Metro

Echocho mourns Aaron Baba

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Echocho mourns Aaron Baba

The Senator representing Kogi East Senatorial didtrin Isah Jibrin(Echocho) on Saturday in Abuja, condoled with the family of late Professor Aaron Baba, who passed on to glory on Friday in Lokoja, Kogi state capital.

In a condolence message issued through his Special Adviser on media, Prosper Elijah Salifu, the Lawmaker described the death of the late Professor as sudden and saddening.

According to him, ” I am deeply saddened to hear your sudden exit. I am however comforted by the fact that you have contributed your quota to the development of Kogi state and Nigeria at large” he said.

“On  behalf of the good and supportive people of Kogi East, I sincerely sympathize with your family at this critical time. May God in his infinite mercy, forgive your shortcomings, grant you Paradise and relieve the family of this great pain”

Professor Aaron Baba, until his death was a Special Adviser on Technological Development, later appointed as Commissioner for Special Duties, Science and Information in Kogi State.

Continue Reading

Trending