Connect with us

Top News

Court remands PDP National Youth leader over alleged sedition against Kogi government

Published

on

Spread the love

Court remands PDP National Youth leader over alleged sedition against Kogi government
By John Akubo, Lokoja

Chief Magistrate, Levi Animoku in his ruling on arraignment of the Youth leader on Tuesday in Lokoja indicated that the offences brought against the accused as contained in the Penal Code were triable by his court with exception to that of sedition.

A Lokoja Chief Magistrate Court has remanded the PDP National Youth Coordinator, Mr Austin Okai, 35, in police custody for alleged sedition and blackmail against Governor Yahaya Bello and his cabinet.

Chief Magistrate, Levi Animoku in his ruling on arraignment of the Youth leader on Tuesday in Lokoja indicated that the offences brought against the accused as contained in the Penal Code were triable by his court with exception to that of sedition.

Animoku held that only the High Court had jurisdiction to try the offence of sedition under section 416 of the Penal Code in spite of the penalty of seven years it carries upon conviction.

In his words,
“The content of the First Information Report (FIR) touches on the state and the public. For now, I intend to tread softly on the issue of bail of the accused. This will enable the prosecution to conclude their investigation”,
The Chief Magistrate turned down the bail application and ordered that the accused to be kept in police custody, as he adjourned the case to April 13, for mention.

Okai was arraigned on a four-count charge including: inciting disturbance, criminal defamation, causing disappearance of evidence and sedition- inciting disaffection to the government of Kogi State.

The offences, are contrary to sections 104, 392, 416 and 167 of the penal code law the prosecuting police officer, Gabriel Otowu (ASP), stated.

Otowu told the court that on the 7th of April, at about 11:30 am, one commodore Jerry Omodara (rtd), Security Adviser to Governor Yahaya Bello, complained to Commissioner of Police of the state command that Okai made out some inciting on-line publications.

He said that the publications were false adding that they blackmailed the governor and his entire cabinet.
Continuing he said accused was bent on causing disaffection and acrimony between the citizens of the state and the government.

Otowu further alleged that Okai also issued a false publication labeling the governor as a “disaster and pain to the state”, adding that it was also revealed that Okai orchestrated the false publication of the governor’s recent death rumour.

The prosecution also alleged that the accused, in collaboration with some criminal elements in the state, recruited some like-minded youths eith plan to burn down Kogi State Revenue House on the one-year anniversary of the government though the plan was aborted.

He further alleged that while investigations were going on, the accused caused the disappearance of gadgets such as handsets, IPAD, Laptop “which he used in his propaganda and false publications” against the governor.

Otowu reminded the court that it had no power to try the offence of sedition as he opposed granting of bail saying that investigation was ongoing aside the fear that since the offence was a serious one, the accused might elope justice.

Williams Aliwo, counsel to the accused had earlier applied for the bail of his client in line with Section 36(5) and 35(4) of the constitution as well as section 341(2,3) of the Criminal Procedure Code (CPC)

http://m.guardian.ng/business-services/kogi-bidding-process-transparent-say-investors/

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Senate panel unravels N443bn subsidy scam by NNPC

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Senate panel unravels N443bn subsidy scam by NNPC

The Senate Committee on Public Accounts on Wednesday uncovered a scam involving N443B by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) which allegedly lavished the money on oil subsidy in 2016 without budgetary provision.

The panel, therefore, summoned the leadership of the nations oil firm to brief it on the expenditure.

The committee’s chairman, Senator Matthew Urhoghide, issued the summon yesterday when the panel considered a 2016 report by the Auditor-General for the Federation.

“During the examination of subsidy records provided by Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC), it was observed that total subsidy paid during the year 2016 was N443,940,559,974.80,” the audit report.

The breakdown of the fund showed that N403.3 billion was paid to oil marketers, while interest & foreign exchange differential gulped N40.6 billion, totalling N443.9 billion.

The fund, according to the report, was spent in 2016 without budgetary provision and was deducted at source.

“This reflects continuing weaknesses in the budgeting process adopted by the Federal Government,” it added.

Responding to the audit report, the Accountant General of the Federation, Ahmed Idris, told the committee that the NNPC would be in better position to explain the extra-budgetary spending.

The Chairman of the committee, Senator Matthew Urhoghide summoned the NNPC Group Managing Director, Melee Kyari to give explanation on the expenditure.

In a related development, the committee also summoned the Central Bank of Nigeria over alleged disappearance of $9.5 million interest from Investment Petroleum Profit Tax (PPT), Royalty and Foreign Excess Crude.

The invitation of the Apex Bank in the country was sequel to the 2016 Auditor General Report which accused the Central Bank of Nigeria failing to present documents supporting the investment for verification.

The Senate observed no letter supporting the investment of the fund and the actual amount invested were not made known.

The Query reads, “During the examination of transfers to Forefinger Excess PPT/Royalty and Foreign Excess Crude Accounts it was observed that during the year 2016, amount totalling $6 million and $3.5 million were credited to the Foreign PPT/Royalty and Foreign Excess Crude Account as interest on Funds investments.

“The authority for placing the funds which yielded the above interests totaling $9.5 in deposit account, the principal sums deposited, the tenor and rate of interest were no made available for audit verification.

“This observation had also been a subject of my reprts since 2017 without any positive response from Central Bank of Nigeria

“Records made available for audit further revealed that the balance in the foreign PPT/Royaltt and Foreign Excess Crude a accounts as at 28th December 2016 were USD0.00 and USD, 251,826 respectively

“This suggest the foreign PPT/Royalthy was depleted before the year end.

“The Accountant General has been requested to provide the authority for the funds invested, tenor of the investment, rate unrest payable, certficate for the funds invested and forward same for audit verification.”

The Chairman of the Committee, Senator Mathew Urhoghide however asked the Accountant General of the Federation, to respond to issue raised in the Auditor General Report.

The Accountant General was unable to present any document on the issue raised by the Committee.

He further told the lawmakers that the Office of Accountant General has sent a letter to the Central Bank of Nigeria for clarification on the issue raised.

Continue Reading

Top News

FG declares its readiness to deploy 5G network after precautionary measures

Published

on

By

Spread the love

FG declares its readiness to deploy 5G network after precautionary measures

By Aminci Audu

The minister of communications and Digital Economy Isah Ali Pantami has declared that Nigeria is ready for 5th Generation Network (5G) as long as the major challenges are taken care of.

Pantami spoke yesterday, at a one day investigative hearing on the present status of 5G network organised by the joint Senate committee on communication, sScience and Technology, ICT and Cybercrime and Primary Healthcare and Communicable Diseases.

The minister in his presentation allayed the fear among Nigerians over the planned deployment of the network saying the Federal Government has taken all necessary precautions by investigating through research and trial on all issues raised.

He said “The position is that we are almost at the final stage. So now, Nigeria is ready for 5G as long as we address the major challenges.”

“We have not gotten there, wether we will deploy 5G but we are on track conducting research, investigations, engaging stakeholders and definitely if all issues are addressed, the executive will support the deployment of 5G in Nigeria.”

He noted that so far no negative impacts has been established from the research and trial carried both locally and at the international level. 

On the speculation that the 5G network escalated the COVID-19 he said there is no link between 5G and COVID-19.
“And there is no relationship between 5G and any desease. The only issue being raised usually is about radiation.  But people don’t realise that the radiation of 4G is more harmful than that of 5G. 
“The radiation of microwave oven at home is more harmful than that of the 5G. The radiation of even the smart phone itself is even more harmful that that of 5G

Continue Reading

Top News

SELF backs Sylva over choice of Saipem on Bonny NLNG Train 7 contract

Published

on

By

Spread the love

SELF backs Sylva over choice of Saipem on Bonny NLNG Train 7 contract

The South-south Emerging Leaders Forum (SELF) has faulted allegations of wrong doing leveled against the Minister of State for Petroleum Chief Timipre Sylva over the choice of Saipem, an Italian firm to handle the Bonny NLNG Train 7 contract.

SELF in a statement argued that the deal also endorsed by the Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Local Content Board Engr. Simbi Wabote was in the best interest of the country.

SELF position was in response to an online publication which accused the duo of bribe taking running into millions of naira in the deal.

SELF warned the publisher of the medium , Mr Jackson Ude, to desist from blackmailing leaders of the South-south extraction in a bid to score political goals.

Urging the Publisher of the online medium to show proof his allegation, SELF noted: “We strongly condemn the allegation leveled by Pointblanknews.com and its sponsors, this is highly condemnable and viewed as a sponsored plot to instigate hate against the Minister and derail his concentrations.

“This is ridiculous and belittling of Jackson Ude, the face behind this blackmail for being petty to the ground level for publishing tissues of lies about the persons of Timipre Sylva and Simbi Wabote.

“Nigerians should not believe this and throw it into the dust bin. It’s incumbent on all well-meaning Nigerians to support the positive drive of Minister and collaborate with him, towards the actualization of the onerous task at stake.

“Although Jackson Ude and his medium Pointblanknews.com are criminally known for thriving in the business of blackmail, especially against the officeholders from the Niger Delta region. But this forum will henceforth resist this criminality by deploying all known instrumental of law to fight the faces behind these tissues of lies.

“This Forum is using this medium to warn the likes of Jackson Ude to stay away from Nigeria and the South-south most especially if they are not ready to turn a new leaf because the business of blackmail has long become outdated and unpopular.”

Continue Reading

Trending