Connect with us

News

Disenchanted electricity consumers in Lokoja protest against AEDC

Published

on

Spread the love

Disenchanted electricity consumers in Lokoja protest against AEDC

Some disenchanted consumers of electricity of Ganaja area of Lokoja stormed the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) Area Office in Lokoja to protest agaisnt alleged exorbitant and estimated billings and epileptic supply of power.

The angry Protesters in their numbers had earlier locked doewn the Ganaja office of the company and matched to the Area office on IBB way, central area of Lokoja to register their displeasure.

The protesters enumerated the alleged shortcomings of the company to include estimated billing, over-billing, non-reading of meters, poor electricity supply, lack of prepaid meters and constant harassment by AEDC officials.

The protest which started as early as 8:00am caused some traffic hiccups making many vehicles, to divert as the ever busy IBB way was completely locked down by the protesters who carried placards.

Some of the placards carried inscription like; “AEDC Enough is Enough”, “Engr. Oluwatoyin Junaidu Must Go”, “AEDC Worst Disco in Nigeria” among many other inscriptions.

Liman Ishaq, a community leader in Ganaja and spokesman of the protesters said since the deployment of the area manager, Oluwatoyin Junaidu, to Kogi over four months ago, power supply to Ganaja had been epiliptic.

Ishaq lamented that in spite of complaints from Ganaja and other residents of Lokoja metropolis, there had been no positive response or change of attitude from AEDC as electricity supply remained at its lowest ebb.

He said, “Aside the exorbitant billing by AEDC, Ganaja has never had it so bad. The inhuman and wicked policy of the new manager is responsible for our suffering.”

James Olayemi, an Engineer in the company, who addressed the prostesters on behalf of the management assured that their complaints would be looked into for possible amends.

He appealed for calm and patience on the part of the protesters, promising improved power supply.

Meanwhile, men of the Nigerian Police who came two hours into the protest to quell the impasse, shot tear gas and fired gunshots into the air to disperse the protesters.

This, however, was not taken lightly by the protesters as they threw stones at the police.

Normalcy however, returned to the area after about three hours of lockdown of the AEDC area office and the major road.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Humanitarian ministry insists States hoarded palliatives

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Humanitarian ministry insists States hoarded palliatives

The minister of Humanitathas denied having any link with hoarded palliatives meant for distribution to the needy during the COVID-19 pandemic by many states as she restated that all palliatives donated to the ministry were distributed accordingly.
The minister made the disclosure on Monday during a national Press conference in Abuja on the activities of the ministry since inception.
She said, “Recently, the world witnessed the unfortunate incidence of looting of palliatives and relief materials stashed away in warehouses in some states of the country during the #EndSars protest.

“As the Minister of
Humanitarian Affairs, I want to categorically state that the Palliatives
donated to the Ministry by the Nigerian Customs Services, National
Strategic Grain Reserve, and many good willing donors were handed to
State officials for onward distribution to the poor and vulnerable in thier
states.

“The Ministry identifies its strategic role and impact in the everyday lives of the Nigerian. We want to assure the public that we are on ground working every day for Nigerians.”

She expressed satisfaction with the success story of one of the Federal Government’s Investment programs, the N-POWER as 109, 823 benefitiaries have successfully started their own businesses

According to her, “After the two-year period, facts and reports show that some of the
beneficiaries of Batch A and Batch B of the programme have established
businesses in their communities, with no fewer than 109,823
beneficiaries of the N-Power Programme who have identified themselves
as business owners.

According to her, “Current Enrolment Status of beneficiaries for N-power Batch C closed in July 2020 and we have received over 5 Million applications since the portal opened.
“The application process will be concluded as soon as possible to provide additional Nigerian youths access to the programme.
“At this juncture, I want to officially announce that the Central Bank of
Nigeria in collaboration with the Ministry has developed a portal to
enable the exited N-Power beneficiaries to log on and apply for the
various economic empowerment and entrepreneurship options provided by the Central Bank such as the AGSMEIS loan and the AnchorBorrowers Program (ABP). “Interested N-Power exited beneficiaries
should log on to the CBN portal for more information.
The website portal is nexit-fmhds.cbn.gov.ng as displayed on the screen.

Farouq also refuted the claim that her ministry has been feeding the Internally Displaced persons with poor nutritious food saying the Ministry has been making different grains available and also allow other bodies who make donations of their choice which the Ministry cannot restrict or limit.

Continue Reading

Metro

2020 IDPWDs: Humanitarian Ministry also donates items to vulnerable In the Church

Published

on

By

Spread the love

2020 IDPWDs: Humanitarian Ministry also donates items to vulnerable in the Church

The Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, has donated items to the vulnerable in the church to mark the 2020 International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPWDS).
This was coming just as similar gesture was to the vulnerables in the Mosque earlier to mark the same celebration by the ministry.
The items were presented to the Church by the Honourable Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq, at the St Mathew Anglican Church, Gwarimpa Abuja.
The Minister through her Representative, Director Special Needs of the Ministry, Mrs. Onwukwue Nkechi Florence said IDPWDs is marked December 3rd every year and the Federal Government, stakeholders and the church are doing so much to remember Persons with Disabilities.
Continuing, the Minister said the church service was organised to pray for the vulnerable in the society and the Ministry and it’s Agencies for God’s grace to achieve the mandate of the Ministry.
The items include: 5 bags of 50kg of rice, 5 cartons of peak milk, clothes and 20 pieces of wrappers.
Earlier, the Vicar of Saint Mathew Anglican Church, Ven. Andrus Ukaejiofo, appreciated the Ministry for the items given to the vulnerable in the Church. He offered prayers for the vulnerable as well as the Management and staff of the Ministry.
The IDPWDs is an annual global event marked every December 3rd, to promote the rights and well-being of the Persons with Disabilities.
To commemorate the 2020 IDPWDs, the activities earmarked to celebrate the Day include Jumat Prayers and Sunday Service, Press Briefing by the Honourable Minister and the Grand Finale.
 
 

Continue Reading

Metro

#ENDSARS: Association appeals to FG, states to compensate affected traders

Published

on

By

Spread the love

#ENDSARS: Association appeals to FG, states to compensate affected traders

By Mustapha Sumaila

The Market Traders Association of Nigeria (MATAN) has appealed to Federal and State Governments to compensate traders whose businesses were affected during the EndSARS protest across the country.

The newly elected president of the association, Alhaji Jamilu Abbas made the appeal at the inauguration ceremony of the new executive in Abuja on Sunday.

Abbas said it was a tough time for his members over the unfortunate incident of EndSARS protest that was hijacked by hoodlums which caused destruction of properties of many traders.

He noted that paying them adequate compensation for the loss would help their businesses bounce back and in turn boost the economy of the country.

“I will like to reflect on the unfortunate incident which led to the loss of lives and properties of our members especially those in the southern part of the country.

“It is sad and so unfortunate for this kind of barbaric act to happen in this country for whatever reason. We do hope both Federal and State Governments will pay adequate compensation to the affected individuals.

“We also need to commend the effort of the Northern leaders and youth for their peaceful disposition as their conduct prevented reprisal attack in the region” he said.

Abbas commended the effort of President Muhammadu Buhar’s led administration for initiating various social economic intervention programmes.

He however decried that only few of his members could benefit and then appealed to Federal Government to provide more intervention for his members.

The president reiterated his commitment and determination to work with government agencies concern to ensure that more of his members benefit from intervention programmes.

He pledged to run an open door policy and work to justify the confidence reposed on him by members of the association across the country.

Abbas said in ensuring to make the association a data based, MATAN had commenced biometric registration of all its members.

The new executive officers inaugurated were, Alhaji Muhammad-Sani Kari as Deputy President North while Mrs Ebele Okafor would serve as Deputy President South and Mr Olakunle Johnson as National Secretary.

Others are Muhammad Labaran Abdulrahman as National Tresurer, Dr Sadiq Umar Awwal National Publicity Secretary  and  Alhaji Abubakar Sokoto was also inaugurated as Assistant National Secretary among others. NAN

Continue Reading

Trending