Connect with us

News

Eid-el-kabir: 40 suspects arrested, detained in police custody

Published

on

Spread the love

Eid-el-kabir: 40 suspects arrested, detained in police custody

At least 40 suspected criminals have been arrested and detained in police custody after an intensive combing of criminal hideouts in an effort to ensure a crime free Eid-el-Kabir celebration the Kogi State Police Command has said.
The State Commissioner of Police, Mr Wilson Inalegwu, made the disclosure on yesterday at a press conference in Lokoja.
He explained that suspected kidnappers, armed robbers and cattle rustlers were among those in custody.
According to him, 30 of the suspects were arrested by his men for offences bordering on kidnapping and armed robbery while 10 others are suspected cattle rustlers arrested by the army and handed over to the Command.

Inalegwu said exhibits recovered from the suspects include locally made weapons, live ammunitions and military camouflage, amongst others.

He indicated that the suspects were being investigated and would soon be charged to court.

The CP commended members of the public for feeding the police with useful information about criminal activities, which he noted had led to reduction in crime rate in the state.

Inalegwu said that as part of proactive policing measures, the Command has been engaging farmers and herders in dialogue to ensure peaceful coexistence.

He said that the Command has secured platforms on the network service of the NTA and Grace FM Lokoja to give members of the public opportunity to call in to make complaints and contributions that would enhance better policing in the state.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

RTEAN asks members to embrace peace after court verdict

Published

on

By

Spread the love

RTEAN asks members to embrace peace after court verdict

The members of Road Transport Employers’ Association of Nigeria (RTEAN) have called on members to embrace total peace and genuine reconciliation in order to move the association forward after court verdict.
This was coming against the backdrop of the court judgment delivered by Justice Olufunke Yemi Anuwe of the National Industrial Court which recognized Alh. Musa Muhammed (Maitakobi) as the Executive National President of the association.
It would be recalled that for a long time the association had been enmershed in leadership tussle that nearly tore the association apart.
In a press conference jointly addressed in Abuja Thursday by Alhaji Musa Muhammed (Maitakobi) and Yusuf Adeniyi, National President and Secretary General respectively they said,

“The present leadership under the current Executive National President, Alhaji Musa Muhammed (Maitakobi) wants all aggrieved members, to come together to rebuild RTEAN for progress and development.

They also called on the media, relevant stakeholders and general public for support since the association cannot do it alone.

“I want to say here that the members of RTEAN cannot do it alone to ensure that peace reigns and progress achieved without the support, co-operations and collaborative partnership with the press and the general public. We are therefore calling you all to give support, cooperate with this current leadership in ensuring that there is stability”.

They pointed out that the court victory is not for them alone but for all Nigerians who are interested in moving the association forward.

“This victory is neither a victory for Alh. Musa Muhammed (Maitakobi) as a person, or for the NEC, the National Headquarters, members of the organization but for all Nigerians.
They indicated that for the fact that the crises had lingered for a long time, it affected the entire transport industry in the country.

They appealed to members to remain law-abiding and avoid any act(s) that may lead to breakdown of law and order.
On the recent #ENDSARS protests that was hijacked by miscreants they asked every member to cooperate with law-enforcement agencies in the country to achieve the goals of effective policing of the people.

While condoling with families of those that lost their lives in the #EndSars protests across the country, they announced that a committee has been constituted to ascertain the extent of damages and lost that members suffered.

The crises had factionalised RTEAN for some time now as all efforts made to end the lingering crisis only caused more serious disintegration of the members.
However the judgement of the Indistrial court has put an end to all the issues

Continue Reading

Metro

Omo-Agege asks Niger Delta Agitators to sheathe their swords

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Omo-Agege asks Niger Delta Agitators to sheathe their swords

The Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege has admonished members of the Reformed Niger Delta Avengers (RNDA) to put off their planned attacks on oil facilities in the region
This was contained in a statement issued by his special adviser, Media and Publicity in Abuja yesterday.

Omo-Agege said going ahead with their threats would create economic setback for the country and additional environmental degradation in the area.

His appeale came on the heels of recent threats by a coalition of nine militant groups in the Niger-Delta region expressing readiness to resume hostilities by attacking oil and gas facilities if Federal Government did not meet the demands of #EndSARS protesters across the country.
After an emergency meeting in Delta State last week, the militant groups under the aegis of the RNDA, also announced their preparedness to disavow the ceasefire accord with the Federal Government and engage military forces.

Specifically, they threatened to resume attacks on some identified oil facilities in the region if nothing was done to redress the issues of poor welfare, armed oppression and inequality in the standard of living between the citizens and political elite.
But speaking when he hosted a delegation of Oil and Gas Host Communities of Nigeria (HOSCON) in Abuja, led by elder statesman, Chief (Dr ) Wellington Okrika, the Delta Central lawmaker urged the agitators to sheathe their sword and allow peace to reign.

He assured that their demands would be tabled before The Presidency.
The senator stressed that with the nation still battling with the challenges posed by Covid-19 and the aftermath of #EndSARS Protests which was hijacked by hoodlums, it cannot afford another militancy problem at the moment.
“Whatever it is, we must maintain peace in the Niger Delta. I say this in view of the new agitations by the Reformed Niger Delta Avengers. We are just coming out of the #EndSARS protest which, of course, we all witnessed how a peaceful protest was hijacked by those with sinister agenda.
“We are all witnesses to what happened afterwards even when we must acknowledge that in a democracy, protest is a right provided those that do it do so peacefully without abridging the rights of others,” Omo-Agege said.
Speaking further, he urged HOSCON members to “go back to our people in the Creeks and tell them we are here for them. We are here to champion their request. We don’t want the peace of the Niger Delta to be disturbed or disrupted. We are here to protect the interest of our people.
“Yes, I may be the Deputy President of the Senate today but, I am first of all, a Senator representing my people. I am here and I am your own. I am your eye. We shall not disappoint you.

“Take this commendation to our brothers in the Creeks that they have done well in keeping the peace and we will table their request before the authorities as they have channelled that request through me. We shall ensure the right things are done”.

On the Petroleum Industry Bill currently before the National Assembly, Omo-Agege argued that the annual contribution of 2.5 per cent actual operating expenditure by oil companies to the Host Community Development Trust Fund would be increased to, at least, 5 per cent.

He also reiterated his call at the Second Reading of the bill on the floor of the Senate where he made a case for gas flaring penalties to be paid to the host communities and not the Federation Account.

He pointed out that the funds would be used to ameliorate the living conditions in Niger Delta communities, as they remain the ones that bear the burden of environmental degradation from the oil industry.

“That I come from the oil bearing communities is one of the reasons why I am DSP today given our contribution to the economy of the country. It is only natural that I champion anything that would promote the interest of the people of the Niger Delta.

“The PIB is a very crucial bill. If properly handled it would bring a lot of Foreign Direct Investments into the oil economy. This is the best time to take advantage of the oil we have and the best way to do so it to encourage FDIs and this can only be achieved when the Niger Delta is peaceful. That is why I am suing for peace.
“Let the Niger Delta Region begin to look like the region that produces the wealth of the country. The Host Community component of the PIB law is of utmost importance to us in the National Assembly and we believe it should be a win-win for all stakeholders. And so, we are determined to ensure that we have an improvement on what we have before. I am  also confident that we have made good impression with our colleagues and we would get something favourable for the oil bearing communities.

“I also believe Gas Flaring Penalty cost should come to the Host Communities and I am sure we have impressed it on our colleagues to allow that to stay. That money shouldn’t go to the Federation Account but to the people whose environment are impacted by gas flaring”, he added.

The bill is currently before the Joint Senate Committee on Petroleum Upstream, Petroleum Downstream and Gas for further legislative work.

Earlier, Chief Okrika, called on the Deputy President of the Senate to intervene in the issues brought before the Federal Government concerning the PIB, gas flaring, 13 percent derivation payment to the states instead of the oil bearing communities, the N98bn gas flare fund and the controversy surrounding the Pipeline Surveillance Contract.

He lauded the legislative interventions of the senator, adding that members were impressed with his contributions not only on issues concerning the Niger Delta but his general contributions on matters relating to national discourse.

Other members of the delegation include Dr Mike Emuh (National Chairman), Mrs. Josephine Odungide (National Women Leader), Princess Christy Ejeh, Anthony Oghenovo, Jonathan Osigho, Joy Richard and Ann Izi.

Continue Reading

Metro

VSF task force on COVID-19 insists, all of its palliatives got to targeted beneficiaries

Published

on

By

Spread the love

VSF task force on COVID-19 insists, all of its palliatives got to targeted beneficiaries

The Victims Support Fund (VSF) Emergency task Force has stated categorically that all its support items from its Phase 1 and 2 donations had been distributed to targeted beneficiaries by the State governments and CSOs.
This was coming against the backdrop of recent narratives that many States hoarded palliatives meant for the vulnerable groups to cushion the effect of the six months lockdown on account of the Coronavirus pandermic.
The Spokesman Victims Support Fund
Covid-19 Emergency Task Force Alkasim Abdulkadir in a statement issued in Abuja on Tuesday said, the attention of the Task Force was drawn to stories especially on social media on the unsettling matter of government and private warehouses being broken into across the country.

He said in the first phase of their intervention, the Task Force identified six states including the frontline states, in addition to the Federal Capital Territory. “These were Lagos and Ogun States as epicentres of the pandemic in Nigeria. Others were four North East States (Borno, Adamawa, Yobe and Taraba) targeting the IDPs as the most vulnerable population needing palliative measures.
“The task force is therefore compelled by the happenings around the country to clearly state that:
The VSF Task Force on COVID was inaugurated by the Chairman of the Victims Support Fund, Gen. Theophilus Yakubu RTD Danjuma in April 2020 adding that it was set up as a vehicle to provide succour to vulnerable populations hit by the effects of Covid-19.
“The task force worked with State Governments and Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) to identify and distribute the palliatives to vulnerable households.
“All VSF Covid -19 Emergency Task force items are clearly branded ‘VICTIMS SUPPORT FUND COVID -19 EMERGENCY SUPPORT PROGRAMME’
He said the task force did not collaborate with any other organisation apart from the local CSOs
“The food items were identified and procured for distribution to households across the six states and the FCT.
“Each household received the following: rice, 10Kg; beans, 10Kg; garri, 10Kg (Lagos and Ogun States only); maize, 10Kg (FCT and the North East only); vegetable oil, four (4) litres, and salt two (2) Kg. “Other items that addressed hygiene like hand washing soaps, detergents, masks, Hazmat suits, goggles, boots, were also procured and distributed. All these were packaged in one 50kg bag.”
He said in the second phase, the focus of the interventions was on Edo, Delta, Enugu, Ebonyi and Ekiti States.
“Equally, the VSF also donated Video Conferencing facilities to the NCDC and ICT equipment and technical support to the Federal Ministry of Health.
“The next phase of the interventions which will commence soon, will focus on: Kaduna, Katsina, Zamfara, Benue, Plateau and Niger states.”
He said it is worthy to note that the events were well publicised in the media and the Task Force was well received in all the States visited.

“VSF has set the pace in ensuring that the donations reached the beneficiaries in a timely manner.”

Continue Reading

Trending