Connect with us

Metro

Erosion: Five local councils in Nasarawa to benefit from World Bank intervention

Published

on

Spread the love

Erosion: Five local councils in Nasarawa to benefit from World Bank intervention

From Daniel Abel, Lafia

Source of Hope Foundation, a non governmental organization (NGO) in Nasarawa state, says five local councils have been selected to benefit from Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP).
Founder of the NGO, Mrs Asibi Omeri Ogabo, disclosed this during a review meeting on the project so far by the state focal NGO in Lafia, Tuesday.

NEWMAP is funded by World Bank to address the problem of gully erosion in both rural and urban communities.

Mrs Asibi said that the world bank intervention project which commenced in 2011, with focus on eastern part of the country, has been expanded to cover northern states with disturbing erosion problems.

She stated that the project is aimed at correcting gully erosion, borne from ever growing population and human activities such as mining.
According to her, it is expected to cover 18 sites in five selected local government areas in the state namely; Doma, Toto, Nasarawa, Lafia and Keffi.

“If you go to places like Angwan Liman, Angwan Lukman in Lafia here, then Keffi, behind the Emir’s place, Nasarawa local government among others, the situation over there is very bad.

“I am confident that the NEWMAP will do a lot about it because already, they have everything set on ground in order to mobilize their people to the site for the project to take off,” she added.

The NGO boss called on the public to pay more attention and proper care of their environments, as they must avoid dumping of refuse on water ways.

Speaking innthe same vein, Jonathan Kwaghkha Ortoho, NEWMAP project coordinator Nasarawa state, remarked that with the expansion of the project to cover Nasarawa alongside few other Northern states, Source of Hope Foundation, the focal NGO in Nasarawa, was engaged to carry out advocacy and sensitization to the affected communities so that residents can give maximum cooperation during the implementation of the project.

The coordinator, represented by the project internal editor, Mr Jerry Idasho decried the effects of erosion, saying a visit to the sites revealed the worrisome situation in most of the communities requuring urgent need to address the situation before casualties are occur.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Pantami: Coalition of Civil Society Groups suspend mass rally

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Pantami: Coalition of Civil Society Groups suspend mass rally

The Coalition of Civil Society Groups have announced suspension of a mass rally to demand for the sack of embattled Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami.
A statement by Ibrahim Ahmadu and Osakwe Chigozie Michael, National Convener and Co-Convener, respectively said the rally expected to hold on Tuesday (today) was shelved due to security reasons and the fear that it could be hijacked by hoodlums.
The statement further disclosed that a new date will be announced for the shelved mass rally.
” The proposed rally against Minister of Communications, Dr Isa Pantami is hereby postponed till further notice after due consultations and consideration with adequate advice in line with security tips.
“While we regret the unfortunate call off, we avail ourselves this opportunity to inform our members to exercise patience and keep the spirit alive upon a viable and visible date for it.
” We regret all inconveniences.”

Checks revealed that the Minister of Communications has been accused of alleged link with the extremist group, Al-Queda and having sympathy for Taliban.

Audio recordings of Mr Pantami’s past teachings where he declared support for Al-Qaeda and Taliban resurfaced last week, with many Nigerians calling for his removal.

Mr Pantami, an Islamic cleric, denied any links with the groups. He, however, admitted making the controversial statements supporting the groups but said that his views on such extremist groups have changed.

Continue Reading

Metro

12 persons die in tanker explosion accident in Benue

Published

on

By

Spread the love

12 persons die in tanker explosion accident in Benue

Twelve persons have lost their lives in a tanker explosion accident that occured at Oshigbudu, Agatu Local Government Area of Benue on Sunday evening
Apart of the death of the 12 persons properties were also said to have been lost to the explosion.
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Public Education Officer, Benue Sector Command, Mr Oladele Meshach, issued a statement in Makurdi on Monday indicating that the explosion occured on Sunday evening.
Meshach said 12 persons lost their lives during the explosion, while property were also destroyed.
He quoted the Sector Commander, Mr Yakubu Mohammad, to have warned all petroleum tanker owners against non-use of
“Safety Valves” to guard against spillage of petroleum products, when involved in a crash. Mohammad called on all petroleum tanker owners to ensure immediate installation of Safety Valves on their tankers to ensure safety of lives, properties and the products they are transporting.
He said the “tanker lost its control, spilled fuel and bursted in flames”.
“Henceforth, any driver caught disobeying the road regulations will risk going to jail,” Mohammad warned.
According to him, it is disheartening to see petroleum tankers still plying the roads without safety valves fixed on them despite the February 2021 deadline earlier issued.
He assured members of the public that FRSC would ensure strict enforcement of road regulations and discipline.
Mohammad also advised tanker drivers to avoid giving their vehicles to their ‘motor boys’ to drive on the highways.

Continue Reading

Metro

Echocho mourns Aaron Baba

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Echocho mourns Aaron Baba

The Senator representing Kogi East Senatorial didtrin Isah Jibrin(Echocho) on Saturday in Abuja, condoled with the family of late Professor Aaron Baba, who passed on to glory on Friday in Lokoja, Kogi state capital.

In a condolence message issued through his Special Adviser on media, Prosper Elijah Salifu, the Lawmaker described the death of the late Professor as sudden and saddening.

According to him, ” I am deeply saddened to hear your sudden exit. I am however comforted by the fact that you have contributed your quota to the development of Kogi state and Nigeria at large” he said.

“On  behalf of the good and supportive people of Kogi East, I sincerely sympathize with your family at this critical time. May God in his infinite mercy, forgive your shortcomings, grant you Paradise and relieve the family of this great pain”

Professor Aaron Baba, until his death was a Special Adviser on Technological Development, later appointed as Commissioner for Special Duties, Science and Information in Kogi State.

Continue Reading

Trending