Connect with us

Top News

FCT police debunks insinuation, Hausas looted Southerners in viral video

Published

on

Spread the love

**Urges residents to report all suspicious movement 

The Federal Capital Territory Police Command has debunked ital video of looting on social media insinuating that ‘’Hausas were looting Southerners at Arab Road, Kubwa-Abuja”.

A statement isued in Abuja on Friday by the Police Public Relations Officer of the command ASP Yusuf Mariam, said, contrary to the insinuatikn preliminary investigation has revealed that, the Development Control of the Federal Capital Territory earlier conducted a demolition exercise on Thursday 6th May,2021 at Arab Road, Kubwa, however, some yet to be identified residents seized the opportunity to loot items from the demolition sites. 

Mariam said “Nonetheless, Police Operatives from Kubwa Division swiftly moved to the scene upon receiving the information to restore calm within the Area and arrest the suspects. 

“Consequently, the Commissioner of Police CP. Bala Ciroma has ordered a discreet investigation into the incident and appeals to residents to remain calm and law-abiding.

She implored residents to report all suspicious movements, emergency or distress, through these numbers: 08032003913, 08061581938, 07057337653,08028940883, and to report the conduct of Police Officers, call the Public Complaint Bureau (PCB) number :09022222352

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Bello’s achievement is only in birthday jamboree, photo-ops with celebrities – CNPP

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Conference of Nigerian Political Parties, Kogi State chapter, has berated Governor Yahaya Bello of the state for his perchance for celebrity parties but clueless about the economic challenges facing the State

In a statement signed by the State Chairman Comrade Mohammed Kabir and Secretary, Mouktar Atima, the CNPP said the only visible achievement of the Bello-led administration is its proven expertise in organising birthday parties and photo-ops with celebrities.

CNPP noted that the recent consumer price index report released by National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) last week Tuesday should be of serious concern to Kogi state government.

“Last week, NBS report showed that food prices were highest in Kogi state in the month of May. Same report showed that neighbouring Edo and Ekiti states recorded lowest increase in the same month.

“The latest NBS report makes it fourth month in a row that Kogi is topping the unenviable chart as the state with the highest increase in prices of commodities.

“In the face of the this alarming trend that affects the livelihood of our people, Governor Bello is only interested in social and political jamborees,” the statement reads.

CNPP stated that it obvious that the Governor Bello-led administration is clueless on how to approach the emerging economic realities in the state.

“The NBS report said the food inflation on a year-to-year basis was highest in Kogi at 32.82 per cent while neighbouring Abuja at 16.91 per cent recorded the slowest rise in year-on-year inflation in the country.

“While neighbouring States and the FCT are fairing better, Kogi State Government remains clueless as to the cause of the biting inflation in Kogi.

“Till date, the state government has not mentioned the issue not to talk of evaluating the situation and proffering solutions. All we see and hear is birthday celebration and fruitless engagements with celebrities.

“Go to any market in Kogi and compare prices of food stuff and other essential commodities with what is obtainable in other states and you will be surprised.
“Make further enquiries on how much each commodity was sold last month and you will confirm the sad reality the people of Kogi state are faced with.

“This is a state where local government workers, teachers and pensioners are being paid in ridiculous percentages.
“This is same state where local businesses are struggling to stay afloat because of unfavourable policies of the same government. How do we expect the masses to cope?

“There is serious and growing hunger in Kogi state. This is a time bomb that must be attended to immediately.”

The coalition of political parties therefore called on Governor Bello to “outgrow childish tendencies and face the reality of real governance”.

Continue Reading

Top News

Marwa urges parents to also stay away from drugs so as to monitor their wards against the menace

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Thee Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Brigadier General Mohammed Buba Marwa (rtd) has challenged parents to live by example by also staying away from drugs so they can be in the right frame of mind to monitor their wards against the manace of drug intake and abuse.

Marwa who spoke on Friday during a meeting with critical stakeholders in Lokoja, Kogi state capital, during his familiarization tour of the NDLEA Kogi Command advised parents to carry out drug test for intending couples as a way of checking drug intake and abuse.
He said the process for reducing drug intake and abuse starts and rest with the family unit, .
He warned parents to constantly monitor the activities of their wards and children and advised religious bodies to intensify their preaching and counseling to their followers against indulging in the illicit drugs which has become a national tragedy.

He attributed the incidence of insecurity across the country to illicit drugs consumption as he also decried the high level of damage illicit drugs has done to Nigerians,
Marwa pointed out that banditry, insurgency, kidnappings and anti-social behaviours of the citizenry which is on the rise is due to high consumption of the psychotropic drugs.

The chairman urged all stakeholders to partner with the agency to fight the scourge which is impacting negatively on the social economic lives of the country .
He said the NDLEA under his watch is determined to reduce its production, distribution and consumption of the drugs to its barest minimum.
According to him the NDLEA is working round the clock to prevent people from having access to drugs by confiscating and destroying the illicit drugs as he said he is committed to smashing drugs supply chains.
He described the drug consumption demand of the country as alarming, insisting that all stakeholders have critical roles to play in bringing down the demand.
The NDLEA Chairman advise parents on the need to regularly carry out drug test for intending couples as a way of checking drug intake and abuse.
The Kogi State Commander of NDLEA, Alfred Adewumi, commended the chairman for successfully repositioning the NDLEA which has turned the heat on the saboteurs with high quantum of seizures and arrests.
He said the state command is not resting on her oars in the fight against illicit drugs across the Kogi state.
Stakeholders at the meeting including the persons living with disabilities, NCWS, NURTW, and others at the meeting promised their resolve to work with the NDLEA to reduce drastically the incidences of drugs production, distribution and consumption.

Continue Reading

Top News

Lawan remains evasive as he finally speaks on Twitter ban

Published

on

By

Spread the love

President of the Nigerian Senate, Ahmad Lawan Friday was still not really forthcoming about taking a stand against the ban by the Federal Government on Twitter, an action that has generated widespread reactions.

Lawan, however, expressed optimism that the planned dialogue between the federal government and Twitter will end the ban on the microblogging site in Nigeria.
The Senate may have disappointed many Nigerians on the expectations that it will at the resumption of plenary on Tuesday touch the issue of the ban on Twitter by the Federal Government as no motion or any matter of urgent national importance was moved.
There were high expectations as the two chambers of the National Assembly held their first plenary sessions since the government the suspension was announced.
The Senate considered many national issues except, Twitter’s indefinite suspension.
When they resume plenary on Tuesday, they immediately went into a closed session an action people believed was for them to mitigate against any motion or open debate on the fragile issue.
Last Friday, Lai Mohammed, minister of information and culture, announced that the federal government suspended the operations of Twitter indefinitely.

The minister had said the government was forced to act because of “the persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence”.
On Wednesday, the chairman Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Sen. Ajibola Basiru, also had declined to speak on the ban on the matter when he addressed Senate correspondents as he claimed he had no mandate of the Senate to speak on the issue.
“If I express any opinion, it will be my personal opinion and there is the tendency that my opinion may be judged to be that of the Senate,” Basiru said.
“So, I don’t have the mandate of the Nigerian Senate to talk on the issue of Twitter.
“I will exercise restraint and be on the cautionary note so that I will not be quoted as speaking for the Senate on the Twitter ban.”
But on Friday, Lawan was non-committal about the matter.

“Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed had, on Wednesday, said that Twitter had reached out to the federal government for dialogue over the decision of the Nigerian government to ban the operation of Twitter within Nigerian space,” he said at a media briefing on the 2nd anniversary of the Ninth Senate on Friday in Abuja
“Our belief is that Nigerians need Twitter and Twitter needs Nigeria. We believe that this engagement will resolve issue. I’m an optimist. I believe that all of us would have learned our lesson.”

Continue Reading

Trending