Connect with us

Sports

FG tasks NFF on 10 year Sports Development Plan

Published

on

Spread the love

The Federal Government has given the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), ultimatum to provide a 10 year Master Plan for sports development in the country.
A statement by the director, Press and Public Relations quoted the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Mr Sunday Dare as having given the mandate on Monday in his office at Moshood Abiola National Stadium, Abuja, during a reception in honour of Fosla Academy, winners of the Maiden Edition of the National Principal Cup competition.

According to the statement the minister infucated that in less than one week, the ministry will be unveiling the members of the Committee that will develop the master plan, which will be on youth development, using sports to create a funding pathway, thus, transforming Nigerian Sports into a business industry, amongst others.

Dare pointed out further that President Muhammadu Buhari has reclassified sports from mere entertainment to business, adding that Private Academies will have a place in the master plan hence, they will receive due attention.

“Fosla Academy is grooming leaders in sports, and we hope it realizes her dreams. We will review and see how to support Fosla Academy”, he said.

The Minister who opined that grassroots sports would never have been a reality without the resuscitation of the Principal’s Cup by the Ministry, expressed optimism that with adequate training, some of the talents discovered during the tournament can make up the National Football Team.

He assured that in the next 45 days, another edition of the National Principal’s Cup will commence on a larger scale, with the introduction of more sporting events as well as partnership with the private sector.

Dare commended the Principal of the Academy for his consistency and investment in the youth as he called on other Nigerians to emulate the efforts being made by the Institution to groom talents from their tender age.

Earlier in his remarks, the Principal of Fosla Academy, Alhaji Sani Lulu Abdullahi, said that the Academy was established 10 years ago, with the aim of developing talents, not only in academics, but also in the field of sports.

Abdullahi who appealed for speedy removal of grey areas hindering the development of Sports in the country, promised to continue to give his best to the discovery of young talents in the field.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Sports Minister urges Nigerian Army to Stop dehumanizing actions against NYSC members

Published

on

By

Spread the love

The Ministry of Youth and Sports Development has urged all Army and Para- Military personnel to stop dehumanizing actions against Corps members across the country.
This was coming against the backdrop of an unfortunate incident that occurred on July 28, 2021 in Cross River State where a female youth Corps member was dehumanized as revealed in a video that went viral  on social media.

The Minister of Youth and Sports Development Sunday Dare further directed that henceforth close monitoring of all camps be intensified to avoid similar occurrences.

This was contained in a statement issued by the media office of the ministry on Friday.
The statement reads, “Ministry of Youth and Sports Development has received full briefing from the Director General of the NYSC about the unfortunate incident that occurred on July 28, 2021 in Cross River State where a female youth Corper was dehumanized as revealed in a video.

“The NYSC and the Army Authorities have since commenced investigation of the said  incident and the officer involved as evidenced by the statement released by the Army Authorities.

“The statement by the Nigerian Army DHQ describing the dehumanizing of the Corps member as highly unprofessional and unacceptable is welcomed.

“The Ministry also condemns in very strong terms this incident. We believe and have been assured that the Army with its discipline and commitment to professional ethics will make sure justice is served.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Unemployment: FG launches youth employment action plan for job creation

Published

on

By

Spread the love

In an effort to minimise the risks  posed by rising youth unemployment and underemployment to national security the Federal Government has reiterated its commitment to mobilising the full energies and capacities of the youth in the country in line with global realities.

The Honourable Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Mr. Sunday Akin Dare made the disclosure Tuesday in Abuja at the occasion of the launching of the Nigerian Youth Employment Action Plan (NIYEAP 2021 – 2024,).

The Director Press & Public Relations
Mohammed Manga in a statement quoted the minister to have indicated thatthe  launching of the Nigerian Youth Employment Action Plan, is an expression of the commitment of the President Muhammadu Buhari Administration to continue to facilitate an enabling environment that will create about 3.7 million jobs annually.
This he said  is to achieve national development goals and sustainable economic growth in the country.

The youth he said, must and should be regarded as a viable investment that can yield positive benefits for all spheres of our socio-economic progress, rather than a group targeted for periodic empowerment interventions.

The Minister pointed out that youth unemployment has really assumed an uncomfortable proportion and that its effect has not only led to frustration on the part of the youth, but also, is the underlying cause of poverty and youth restiveness in the country.

“It is important to state that the economic and social consequences of youth unemployment transcend the youth group. It has also resulted in missed economic opportunities for the nation.
“This is because youth inclusion is about skilled human capital, social and economic stability, a vibrant and healthy labour force, which will also engender political stability and national growth and development”, Mr. Dare said.

He emphasized, that the Nigerian Youth Employment Action Plan is now being presented to stakeholders as a framework which will address fragmentation, promote synergy, mobilize resources, and deliver a comprehensive approach to youth employment interventions, through multi sector collaboration.

This he said is in realization of the importance of providing opportunities for sustainable economic engagement of youth.
The Minister explained that since his assumption of office, the Ministry has concentrated efforts on moving youth development interventions from the empowerment model to a sustainable system that emphasizes investment in youth.

He explained further that the Plan emphasizes the 4Es: Employability, Entrepreneurship Development, Employment Creation and Equality and rights, adding that it also details needed actions in support of employment creation for youth in critical economic and social sectors and outlines the financing, implementation, monitoring and evaluation frameworks.

“The priority themes of the plan, known as the 4Es are, “further delineated into strategic lines of action under each theme, with emphasis on sectors that have high job creation potential, such as Digital Economy, Rural Economy, Green Economy and Renewable energy sector, Manufacturing, Tourism, Construction and Services.

The Plan will also ensure the inclusion of partners across sectors and will create a robust partnership base through which my Ministry will ensure wider reach of youth employment programmes across the country”.

To ensure inclusion from the grassroots he said, the Ministry will also be convening zonal inception workshops on the Nigerian Youth Employment Action Plan, through which stakeholders from the 36 States and the Federal Capital Territory will be included in the implementation of the plan.

He therefore urged all stakeholders from the public, private sectors and development partners to take a risk and invest in youth for the purpose of economic growth and development, stressing, “I assure you that it will be worth it, with benefits for the development of our nation and the global community”.

Speaking earlier, the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development, Mr. Nebeolisa Anako, stated that the idea of the action plan is to provide kinetic solutions to the challenges of youth unemployment and restiveness through cross-sectoral collaboration.

He solicited the cooperation of stakeholders towards the full implementation of the action with a view to enriching the Ministry’s objective which is to achieve the goal of the initiative.

In a goodwill message, the UNIDO Representative to ECOWAS and Regional Director, Mr. Jean Bakole, said, “the launch of the Nigerian Youth Employment Action Plan is apt and came at a time when the world is facing a worsening youth unemployment crisis; due to the global COVID-19 pandemic that severely affected labour markets around the world”.

He commended the present administration and all stakeholders for collaborating to develop the Youth Employment Action Plan which also aligns with the SDG goals.

Continue Reading

Sports

Nasarawa First Lady urges more women participation in golf

Published

on

By

Spread the love

From Abel Daniel Lafia

Nasarawa state First Lady Silifat Sule, has urged more women to show interest in the game of golf to improve their physical and mental wellbeing.

Sule stated this at the kick off of the 1st Ladies Open Golf Championship taking place at the Lafia Golf Club Course on Saturday.

The maiden edition of the championship which commenced from September 3rd is expected to be concluded on Sunday, September 5th with award of prizes for winners.

About 200 amateur golfers, both ladies and men across the country are in the state to participate in the championship.

Sule after taking the Ceremonial Tee Off said she yearned to see more women in the state and across the country show more interest in golf so as to boost their profile in the sport and boost their physical and mental wellbeing.

“Please and please I want everyone especially our women, more women to come out and show more interest in golf.

“Golf is an interesting game with many benefits and if more women show interest and come out to play the game, we can make Nasarawa state and the country to be proud of us,” she said.

In an interview, Asibi Omeri-Ogabo, Lady Captain, Lafia Golf Club told newsmen that the maiden open championship had attracted female golfers from all over the country and would as she also want more women in the state to show interest in golf.

“I want to call on all Nasarawa state women to come out and join us in golfing because i will love to see us mingle together, play together, and enjoy ourselves together.

“Today, we are witnessing our 1st Ladies Golf Open and this has attracted women from across the country and so we will like our women in the state to also participate so they can also win prizes.

“We will like more of our women to come out and represent our state in the game. So after this event, we expect more women to come out and join the Lafia Golf Club. The registration fee is the lowest in Nigeria. It is just N20, 000,” she said.

She said the tournament is featuring amateur golfers from across the country who are competing for mouth-watering prizes in various categories.

“The tournament will feature Lafia amateur lady golfers from handicap 29 to 36, while the main competition will feature male and female golfers from handicap 0 to 28,” she said.

Omeri-Ogabo thanked the Nasarawa state Government under the leadership of Governor Abdullahi Sule for giving support to the club to organise the championship.

Dignitaries who attended the ceremonial Tee Off include Sheila Akabe, wife of the Deputy Governor, Emmanuel Akabe, Andoma of Doma, Alhaji Ahmadu Onawo among others.

The Lafia Golf Club Course is an 18 hole standard golf course with modern facilities

Continue Reading

Trending