Connect with us

News

Humanitarian ministry commemorates International Day for Mine Awareness

Published

on

Spread the love

Humanitarian ministry commemorates International Day for Mine Awareness

The Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development has applauded UNMAS in Nigeria, the Armed Forces of Nigeria and the North East Development Commission for their efforts towards raising awareness and mitigating the risks posed by unexploded ordnance, mines and other Explosive remnants of war in conflict affected communities. 

The minister Sadiya Umar Farouq gave the commendation while marking the International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action.
This was contained a statement issued by her special adviser on Media Nneka Ikem Anibeze.
The statement noted that, the North East Development Commission (NEDC) in collaboration with a local partner Makesafe Humanitarian Safety and Demining Services is currently organising a series of mine risk awareness training for communities in the BAY States (Borno, Adamawa and Yobe) as part of efforts to raise mine awareness.

“On this International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action, we aim for an environment free of mines and other UXOs,  where our people can live and work in a safe environment, conducive to development and where the people are fully sensitised about mine risks and needs of victims are met”.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Pantami: Coalition of Civil Society Groups suspend mass rally

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Pantami: Coalition of Civil Society Groups suspend mass rally

The Coalition of Civil Society Groups have announced suspension of a mass rally to demand for the sack of embattled Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami.
A statement by Ibrahim Ahmadu and Osakwe Chigozie Michael, National Convener and Co-Convener, respectively said the rally expected to hold on Tuesday (today) was shelved due to security reasons and the fear that it could be hijacked by hoodlums.
The statement further disclosed that a new date will be announced for the shelved mass rally.
” The proposed rally against Minister of Communications, Dr Isa Pantami is hereby postponed till further notice after due consultations and consideration with adequate advice in line with security tips.
“While we regret the unfortunate call off, we avail ourselves this opportunity to inform our members to exercise patience and keep the spirit alive upon a viable and visible date for it.
” We regret all inconveniences.”

Checks revealed that the Minister of Communications has been accused of alleged link with the extremist group, Al-Queda and having sympathy for Taliban.

Audio recordings of Mr Pantami’s past teachings where he declared support for Al-Qaeda and Taliban resurfaced last week, with many Nigerians calling for his removal.

Mr Pantami, an Islamic cleric, denied any links with the groups. He, however, admitted making the controversial statements supporting the groups but said that his views on such extremist groups have changed.

Continue Reading

Metro

12 persons die in tanker explosion accident in Benue

Published

on

By

Spread the love

12 persons die in tanker explosion accident in Benue

Twelve persons have lost their lives in a tanker explosion accident that occured at Oshigbudu, Agatu Local Government Area of Benue on Sunday evening
Apart of the death of the 12 persons properties were also said to have been lost to the explosion.
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Public Education Officer, Benue Sector Command, Mr Oladele Meshach, issued a statement in Makurdi on Monday indicating that the explosion occured on Sunday evening.
Meshach said 12 persons lost their lives during the explosion, while property were also destroyed.
He quoted the Sector Commander, Mr Yakubu Mohammad, to have warned all petroleum tanker owners against non-use of
“Safety Valves” to guard against spillage of petroleum products, when involved in a crash. Mohammad called on all petroleum tanker owners to ensure immediate installation of Safety Valves on their tankers to ensure safety of lives, properties and the products they are transporting.
He said the “tanker lost its control, spilled fuel and bursted in flames”.
“Henceforth, any driver caught disobeying the road regulations will risk going to jail,” Mohammad warned.
According to him, it is disheartening to see petroleum tankers still plying the roads without safety valves fixed on them despite the February 2021 deadline earlier issued.
He assured members of the public that FRSC would ensure strict enforcement of road regulations and discipline.
Mohammad also advised tanker drivers to avoid giving their vehicles to their ‘motor boys’ to drive on the highways.

Continue Reading

National

NNPC insists, it will not increase fuel price in May

Published

on

By

Spread the love

NNPC insists, it will not increase fuel price in May

The Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) Malam Mele Kyari, has said that the corporation will not increase the ex- depot price of Premium Motor spirit also known as petrol in May as being speculated.

He gave the indication at the end of a closed door meeting with Petroleum Transport Drivers (PTD), National Association of Road Transporters Owners (NARTO) and oil marketers in Abuja on Monday.
Ex-depot price is the price marketers buy products from depot owners which determines the pump price at filling stations.

He informed oil marketing companies that NNPC will not increase the pump price of PMS in May.
“I am giving the assurance and I ask Nigerians to go about their normal businesses; we have over 20 billion litres of petrol in our custody.
“Many of you are aware of this and with the assurance with tanker drivers and NUPENG, there is no need for panic buying of the product.
“Petrol will be available in all the depots in the country including NNPC dispatched depot across the country, so nobody should panic in buying the product,” he said.
On the strike by PTD, he said the strike was associated with NARTO’s inability to increase their compensation which was not resolved last week.
“We have given commitment to both NARTO and PTD that we will resolve the issue within a week and come back to the table to have a total closure on the issue.
“We also have a robust engagement with our oil marketing partners in respect of increase in the volume product that is check in the Nigerian market.
“We have agreed to work jointly with all the security agencies to contain any possible infractions seen in our borders.
“We will work as a team to curtail this fraudulent practice with the help of the security agencies,” he added.
He added that the meeting also discussed issues on payment by Petroleum Equalisation Fund (PEF) to oil marketing companies.

He said that all stakeholders agreed in making PMS available to marketers.

Continue Reading

Trending