Connect with us

Metro

Igbo youths professionals ask NDIGBOs to denounce Kanu, IPOB

Published

on

Spread the love

Igbo youths professionals ask NDIGBOs to denounce Kanu, IPOB

The conference of Igbo youths professionals worldwide has charged Ndigbo’s across the globe to demonstrate courage by denouncing Kanu, IPOB members and all that the group stand for.

This was contained in a statement the president of the group Barr. Maduabuchi Nwodo, issued personally in Abuja on Sunday.
According to the statement,
“The Igbo nation constitutes responsible, law-abiding and patriotic citizens, who are prepared to achieve their goals within the confines of a united and indivisible Nigeria.

“This, we shall achieve through non-violent means, as persuasion and conviction are the tools we shall deploy”.

Addressing foreign governments, especially the United Kingdom and Isreal, the Igbo group tasked foreign governments, to deny the leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, the freedom of using the privilege of his foreign citizenship to incite violence against the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

This was as the group further reminded the foreign nations that Nnamdi Kanu remained a fugitive to the law, having jumped bail that was granted him by a court of competent jurisdiction trying him in Nigeria on a criminal charge of treasonable felony and other related offences.

The group alleged that the separatist leader was taking advantage of his sojourn in the aforesaid countries to cause anarchy and insurrection, through orchestrated incitement of members of the proscribed IPOB.

The Youth organisation recalled that, in the eyes of the law, IPOB is a terrorist organisation, as it had been so declared by a Federal High Court in Abuja.

Back home, the youth group reminded both the Federal and State Governments where members of the outlawed group reside, to act more decisively, in view of the extant law proscribing the IPOB.

Consequently, it tasked the military and other relevant security agencies to do the needful, as the law was on their side on the subject matter.

The group said its call was predicated on the latest utterance of the IPOB leader, where he incited police and military officers of Southern and Middle Belt extractions to resign and burn their service uniforms.

“Kanu’s call was unilateral. He was not speaking for the Igbo Nation but for himself.
We are disturbed at the incessant inciting statements coming from Mr Nnamdi Kanu, who has been parading himself as leader of Indigenous People of Biafra against the Nigerian state.

“We are aware of his status as a citizen of both the United Kingdom and the Nation of Israel. Having worked and contributed effortlessly to see Nigeria at its present state, we believe that the United Kingdom and Israel would not want to see Nigeria a shattered place. It is in this regard that we are strongly appealing to them to rein in on Kanu, whose activities have been against the unity of Nigeria.

“The latest call by Mr Kanu on the police and military officers of Southern and Middle Belt extractions was not only to abandon their duty post but to also resign and burn their service uniforms must be ignored. We wish to inform them that Kanu is alone in his cessation project and has nobody behind him,” the Youth group said.

Describing Kanu as a fugitive who escaped the law after being granted bail following his arrest and detention over treasonable felony, the Conference of Igbo Youth Professionals insisted that Israel and the UK can turn in the IPOB leader given that he was in the nation’s wanted list.

Even as it admitted that the South East region had not had its fair share in the one Nigeria project, the Igbo group said the pursuit of inclusive government must be channelled through appropriate lawful means.

“Though our people are highly marginalized and deserve the right for agitation, but that must be done legally and by the appropriate people not a deviant young man like Nnamdi Kanu who is out for his selfish interest,” it said.

It informed the foreign nations that Kanu was barred by a Federal High Court in Abuja from participating in, or addressing public rallies or protests, as part of the conditions for his bail, a development it regretted, had been ignored.

“Kanu has always lamented the treatment of people from the South East zone by the Nigerian government and by other Nigerians. This formed the reason for his agitation for a country of his own.

“However, while Kanu has a right to legally clamour for whatever he believes in, he should also know that the Igbo Nation has recognized spokespersons in the forms of the governors, legislators and Ohaneze Ndigbo, the apex Igbo socio-cultural group. Any serious statements are supposed to come from these people after extensive consultations”, the group noted

Just as the group has thrown its support behind the lawful efforts by security agencies to check the excesses of IPOB members across the South East, and some contiguous states.

“We, therefore, call on our brothers from the other parts of the country, to recognise our cry agaisnt marginalisation, and support our course to produce the next President come 2023.

“Also, we call on the federal government to reflect the federal character principle in all appointments, to give Ndigbo the opportunity to serve their fatherland”.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Pantami: Coalition of Civil Society Groups suspend mass rally

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Pantami: Coalition of Civil Society Groups suspend mass rally

The Coalition of Civil Society Groups have announced suspension of a mass rally to demand for the sack of embattled Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami.
A statement by Ibrahim Ahmadu and Osakwe Chigozie Michael, National Convener and Co-Convener, respectively said the rally expected to hold on Tuesday (today) was shelved due to security reasons and the fear that it could be hijacked by hoodlums.
The statement further disclosed that a new date will be announced for the shelved mass rally.
” The proposed rally against Minister of Communications, Dr Isa Pantami is hereby postponed till further notice after due consultations and consideration with adequate advice in line with security tips.
“While we regret the unfortunate call off, we avail ourselves this opportunity to inform our members to exercise patience and keep the spirit alive upon a viable and visible date for it.
” We regret all inconveniences.”

Checks revealed that the Minister of Communications has been accused of alleged link with the extremist group, Al-Queda and having sympathy for Taliban.

Audio recordings of Mr Pantami’s past teachings where he declared support for Al-Qaeda and Taliban resurfaced last week, with many Nigerians calling for his removal.

Mr Pantami, an Islamic cleric, denied any links with the groups. He, however, admitted making the controversial statements supporting the groups but said that his views on such extremist groups have changed.

Continue Reading

Metro

12 persons die in tanker explosion accident in Benue

Published

on

By

Spread the love

12 persons die in tanker explosion accident in Benue

Twelve persons have lost their lives in a tanker explosion accident that occured at Oshigbudu, Agatu Local Government Area of Benue on Sunday evening
Apart of the death of the 12 persons properties were also said to have been lost to the explosion.
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Public Education Officer, Benue Sector Command, Mr Oladele Meshach, issued a statement in Makurdi on Monday indicating that the explosion occured on Sunday evening.
Meshach said 12 persons lost their lives during the explosion, while property were also destroyed.
He quoted the Sector Commander, Mr Yakubu Mohammad, to have warned all petroleum tanker owners against non-use of
“Safety Valves” to guard against spillage of petroleum products, when involved in a crash. Mohammad called on all petroleum tanker owners to ensure immediate installation of Safety Valves on their tankers to ensure safety of lives, properties and the products they are transporting.
He said the “tanker lost its control, spilled fuel and bursted in flames”.
“Henceforth, any driver caught disobeying the road regulations will risk going to jail,” Mohammad warned.
According to him, it is disheartening to see petroleum tankers still plying the roads without safety valves fixed on them despite the February 2021 deadline earlier issued.
He assured members of the public that FRSC would ensure strict enforcement of road regulations and discipline.
Mohammad also advised tanker drivers to avoid giving their vehicles to their ‘motor boys’ to drive on the highways.

Continue Reading

Metro

Echocho mourns Aaron Baba

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Echocho mourns Aaron Baba

The Senator representing Kogi East Senatorial didtrin Isah Jibrin(Echocho) on Saturday in Abuja, condoled with the family of late Professor Aaron Baba, who passed on to glory on Friday in Lokoja, Kogi state capital.

In a condolence message issued through his Special Adviser on media, Prosper Elijah Salifu, the Lawmaker described the death of the late Professor as sudden and saddening.

According to him, ” I am deeply saddened to hear your sudden exit. I am however comforted by the fact that you have contributed your quota to the development of Kogi state and Nigeria at large” he said.

“On  behalf of the good and supportive people of Kogi East, I sincerely sympathize with your family at this critical time. May God in his infinite mercy, forgive your shortcomings, grant you Paradise and relieve the family of this great pain”

Professor Aaron Baba, until his death was a Special Adviser on Technological Development, later appointed as Commissioner for Special Duties, Science and Information in Kogi State.

Continue Reading

Trending