Connect with us

News

INEC Releases Timetable For Senator Melaye’s Recall, Fix Aug 19 For Verification

Published

on

Spread the love

INEC Releases Timetable For Senator Melaye’s Recall, Fix Aug 19 For Verification

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has released the timetable and schedule of activities for the recall of the Senator representing Kogi West senatorial district, Dino Melaye.

In a press release signed by the secretary of the commission, Augusta Ogakwu, the verification of signatures of registered voters who signed the recall petition will hold on 19th August, 2017.

Based on the timetable, INEC will give a notice of verification on July 10, 2017. The notice would be posted in the commission’s LGA office in Lokoja.
July 31 would be the last day for submission of application by interested observers at the INEC headquarters.
The last day for submission of names of verification agents for Senator Melaye and the petitioners, according to INEC, is August 10.
Five days later, on August 15, there will be a stakeholders’ meeting at the INEC state office, while the conduct of the verification will take place on August 19 with the outcome of the verification scheduled to be declared the same day.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

MBF shocked over Buhari’s failure to address Nigerians 48hrs after murder of protesters

Published

on

By

Spread the love

MBF shocked over Buhari’s failure to address Nigerians 48hrs after murder of protesters 

The Middle Belt Forum (MBF) has expressed dismay that more than 48 hours after the unprovoked murder of protesters, President Muhammadu Buhari is yet to address Nigerians.This was contained in a statement that was issued by National President of the Forum Dr. Pogu Bitrus.Bitrus said it is sad that the youth who were shot were not criminals but patriotic citizens marching against the brutality of the nation’s police
He said the police for long horrified victims and citizens and made Nigeria the shame of the international community.Bitrus said evwn though the youth were proudly holding the national flag and reciting the national anthem when they were brutally shot at.He said inspite of all thePresident has remain aloof not finding it appropriate to address the nation.This he said is a clear sign that Nigerian President is obviously devoid of wise counsel on the bloody turnout of the #EndSARS protests that have claimed scores of lives across the country.  He said there was shooting of scores of #EndSARS protesters in various states, especially Lagos, Imo, Delta, Plateau and Abuja, among others.That he said has shown how the nonviolent marches have snowballed into mindless killings of protesters, paving way for a trail of bloodshed in a supposedly peaceful exercise. “Tuesday’s shootings of protesters who were holding the Nigerian flags  at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos, and the attendant destruction of private and public property, have thrown thick clouds of uncertainties over our nation’s skies, thereby unleashing ominous signs on our country. “Arising from these bloody protests made possible by gory confrontations between the #EndSARS demonstrators and hoodlums, the leadership of the Middle Belt Forum (MBF) totally condemns the vicious violence that rocked the foundations of our dear country.He said all were happening amidst allegation of deployment of soldiers that has so far been denied by the top army command.”As the umbrella organisation representing ethnic nationalities in the defunct Northern region, the MBF is grimly at pains over these coldblooded murders and violation of citizens’ rights to hold rallies against police brutality and demanding for a better country for all. 
“In a democratic nation like ours, these nonviolent demonstrators ought to have been given protection by the state in order to forestall a possible hijack of these peaceful rallies by hired hoodlums. “Considering the rising spate of bloody confrontations with alleged thugs that were hired to introduce violence in the #EndSARS protests so as to tarnish the peaceful dispositions of demonstrators, we call on President Buhari to intervene and stop further killings of these youths.
He said the youths were simply exercising their fundamental rights.
MBFalso drew the attention of the world to the cruelty of the police and demanding for a better country where the system works for citizens. Considering also the sequence of destruction and killings of citizens, including destruction of private and public property in various parts of the country, the Forum advise President Buhari to quickly address the nation and make clear-cut commitments, with timelines, towards addressing the demands of the youth. It is only enough that in times of grave crisis that we are presently passing through, only the President, who is the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria, should be seen leading from the front.    The forum appeal to President Buhari to immediately set up an independent judicial panel of enquiry to unearth circumstances under which the killings were perpetrated with the intention of bringing to book all those responsible for the unprovoked murders. 
The Forum also pleadd with the President to make public the outcome of the panel’s investigation and ensure that those found guilty are punished so as to serve as deterrents to others. “Justice can only be fully served when the Federal Government compensates families of victims who lost their lives in the course of these peaceful protests. “It would only serve the purpose of justice for the government to settle all bills accrued by protesters still receiving medical attention in various private and public hospitals.” The Forum condoled with victims and family members of slain demonstrators whose blood represents the supreme sacrifice they have paid for the future of our Nigeria. 

Continue Reading

Metro

#ENDSARS: Women Affairs minister begs mothers to call their children off the streets

Published

on

By

Spread the love

#ENDSARS: Women Affairs minister begs mothers to call their children off the streets

By Doris Ferdinand

The Minister of women affairs, Dame Pauline Tallen has appealed to mothers to call their children off the streets as she urged the youths to sheath their swords and give government a chance to address their demands.

This was contained in a press statement she personally signed.
In the statement, she expressed concern over the hijack of #Endsars protest by hoodlums with different intents.

She said: “As a mother, I am heart broken and I weep bitterly at the way innocent and young souls whose dream is to bring about justice in our land are sent to their early graves.

“I want to appeal to our teeming youths, men and women, to please sheath their swords and give Government time to address the issues.
“When things are not right, the citizens take to the streets. When the Citizens take to the Streets, the Government is bound to listen. This Government has listened and has heard your voices.”

She also appealed for calmness as she called for prayers for the nation.

“Mothers of the Nation, cradle nurturers, life givers, pain soothers, this period calls for calm, caution and prayers. Let us jointly arise to pray for our children and our great country Nigeria.

“As women, let us call our children off the streets as the situation is no longer safe. The pain and tears  of a mother no one knows nor feels the gravity, but only a Mother who has given life to that child.”

Tallen thanked the youths, for their statements and noted that it is a rebirth of a new order in Nigeria with the them at the front burner of affairs.
She however appealed for restraint to enable the government take appropriate decisions that could be used collectively or selectively in resolving the issues raised.

Continue Reading

National

IPAC cautions on deployment of Military against peaceful protesters

Published

on

By

Spread the love

IPAC cautions on deployment of Military against peaceful protesters

**condemns infiltration by criminal elements

The Acting President of the Inter Party Advisory Council of Nigeria, Chief Ralph Okey Nwosu,
has urged Federal Government to reverse its decision to deploy the military during the pendency of the peaceful protest being carried out by Nigerians across the federation.
This was contained in a press statement that he personally signed and was made availlable to the Guardian.
He said, “We want to state categorically that the Nigerian Police and not  the military, remains the rightful agency saddled with the responsibility of attending to Nigerians during such legal protests.
“The Inter Party Advisory Council of Nigeria is deeply concerned over the activities of hoodlums who continue  to infiltrate the peaceful protests with the aim of undermining its very essence and causing harm to the Nigerian society.”
He called on the Inspector General of Police to remain vigilant and focused on the roles of officers and men deployed to provide protection for Nigerians,  as they exercise their rights during the protests.

“More than ever before, the services of the Nigerian military are needed now in the north eastern part of the Country and should be so deployed to tackle the menace of Boko haram and ISWAP terrorists ravaging the northern Nigeria.

“We maintain that Nigerians have a constitutionally guaranteed right to freely assemble and express themselves and such inalienable rights must be protected by law enforcement agencies.

“We expect Nigerian governments at all levels to, as a matter of urgency, look into the demands of Nigerians,  which remain the subject matter of the lawful protests, and provide immediate solutions thereto.”
He said, the political parties are agencies of the Nigerian society and elected persons remain agents and servants of the people hence all political players must respect the collective will of  the people.

“Nigeria remains the very light on the African continent and must be seen as such through the entrenchment of best democratic practices.”

Continue Reading

Trending