Connect with us

Top News

Kogi Assembly suspends five council chiefs for alleged fraud

Published

on

Spread the love

Kogi Assembly suspends five council chiefs for alleged fraudimg-20160917-wa00042
By John Akubo
The Kogi House of Assembly yesterday ordered the immediate suspension of five local council administrators in the state for alleged misappropriation of funds.
The affected officials include the state chairman of Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON), Taofiq Isah from Ijumu council, Baron Okwoli from Igalamela-Odolu, Moses Akande from Ogori-Magongo, Moses Olorunleke, Kabba-Bunu council and Abdulkareem Ohiare from Okehi.
The suspension came after the adoption of Matter of Urgent Public Importance of alleged gross misconduct brought on the floor by Mr. Friday Sani (PDP-Igalamela-Odolu).
Sani in the motion alleged that the administrators of Igalamela-Odolu, Ogori, Ijumu, Kabba-Bunu and Okehi enriched themselves through the mismanagement of their councils’ funds, thereby neglecting their primary obligations.
According to him: “The five administrators have continued to spend from the councils’ accounts without appropriation and have failed to render proper accounts of their expenses.”
Sani in his motion prayed that subsequently, the five administrators should hand over to their respective council secretaries who would oversee the affairs while investigation into the matter continues.
Abayomi Pedro (APC-Mopa-Muro) who seconded the motion said it was time the House began its oversight functions, adding that the administrators should be suspended to create a chance for thorough investigation.
But the House Chief Whip, Kekere Sani (PDP-Okehi) opposed the motion, arguing that the administrators ought to be given fair hearing before the suspension order.
Oluwatoyin Lawal (PDP-Yagba-West) in his contribution said the constitution provided for checks and balances and separation of power, adding that the council heads were invited for questioning several times but they ignored the House.
John Abba (PDP-Ibaji) said the council administrators acted with impunity since their appointment.
Ruling on the motion, the speaker, Umar Imam gave the Standing Committee on Public Accounts and Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters four weeks to conclude investigations and report back to the House.
Also at the session, the House Committee on Education was directed to begin an inspection of all educational facilities in state-owned tertiary institutions in Kogi.
This decision was taken due to protests by students of the state polytechnic over the lack of water, electricity and other facilities last week.
http://guardian.ng/news/kogi-assembly-suspends-five-council-chiefs-for-alleged-fraud/

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Lekki massacre: Senator Ubah asks Buhari to prosecute erring soldiers

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Lekki massacre: Senator Ubah asks Buhari to prosecute erring soldiers

Vice-Chairman of the Senate Committee on Petroleum Resources (Upstream), Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah has urged
President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately commence prosecution of all soldiers found culpable in the deadly Lekki Toll Gate shooting.

In a statement, he issued in Abuja on Monday, he described the shooting as a gross violation of the fundamental right of the #EndSARS protesters.

Describing the shooting as barbaric, Ubah said, “I am deeply saddened by reports of extrajudicial shootings and barbaric killing of peaceful protesters in Lekki-Lagos, Nigeria. I wish to categorically condemn in its entirety, these shootings by security operatives who are meant to protect the citizens.”
According to him, “these unlawful shootings by the military and security agents at unarmed protesters are a gross violation of the right to life as enshrined in Section 33 of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999; Article 4 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights, and Article 6 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.”
He said the prosecution would go a long way in serving justice to the deceased and their loved ones.
According to him “I am deeply saddened by reports of extrajudicial shootings and barbaric killing of peaceful protesters in Lekki-Lagos, Nigeria. I wish to categorically condemn in its entirety, these shootings by security operatives who are meant to protect the citizens.

“These unlawful shootings by the military and security agents at unarmed protesters are a gross violation of the right to life as enshrined in Section 33 of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999; Article 4 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights, and Article 6 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.”

Continue Reading

Top News

#ENDSARS protests: Senators become soft targets for hoodlums

Published

on

By

Spread the love

#ENDSARS protests: Senators become soft targets for hoodlums

Senators Teslim Folarin (APC-Oyo Central), Senator Gershom Bassey, representing Cross Rivers South Senatorial District and Former Senate Leader, Senator Victor Ndoma-Egba, got their dose of the #ENDSARS protests that has been taken over by hoodlums on Saturday.

The hoodlums in Ibadan invaded Sen. Folarin’s residence, where they carted away items worth N200million
The rampaging youths made away with empowerment materials worth N200 million.
The ugly incident was confirmed by Folarin during a radio programme, monitored on Saturday in Ibadan.
The stolen items were meant for constituency empowerment programme of the lawmaker, scheduled to take place in December.

Among the items carted away are about 300 motorcycles, deep freezers and food items.
Folarin, the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Local Content and former Senate Leader, said he was relieved that no life was lost.

In Calabar the hoodlums also invaded the mansion of Senator Ndoma-Egba, where they broke into his premises and that of senator Bassey and carted away properties that include set of chairs, Television sets, matrasses, toilet seats and car batteries before setting the country home of Ndoma-Egba ablaze.

It was gathered that the hoodlums easily overpowered the security personnel protecting the houses and even wanted to collect their guns before the security personnel took to their heels after which the hoodlums carted away valuables.
It was also gathered that a lounge (Bulavard) allegedly belonging to an APC stalwarts Hillard Etta were also vandalised just as a petrol filling allegedly belonging to Governor Ben Ayade was destroyed.

Continue Reading

Top News

‘Your voice has been heard loud and clear and we are responding’

Published

on

By

Spread the love

‘Your voice has been heard loud and clear and we are responding’

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has called on Nigerian youths to discontinue the street protests and constructively engage the government in finding solutions.
The president in a recorded national broadcast told the youths that their voice has been heard loud and clear and his administration is responding.
He therefore called for calm amidst the arsons and clashes that have ended the peaceful street protests of young Nigerians protesting against police brutality.
“I would like to appeal to protesters to note and take advantage of the various well-thought-out initiatives of this administration designed to make their lives better and more meaningful and resist the temptation of being used by some subversive elements to cause chaos with the aim of truncating our nascent democracy,”
The President however, downplayed the attack on protesters at Lekki toll gate in Lagos as he failed to mention the episode in his speech.
The government security forces, including the army, alledgelly fired live ammunition on protesters in Lekki toll-gate on Tuesday with fatalities.

Continue Reading

Trending