Connect with us

National

MBF shocked over Buhari’s failure to address Nigerians 48hrs after murder of protesters

Published

on

Spread the love

MBF shocked over Buhari’s failure to address Nigerians 48hrs after murder of protesters 

The Middle Belt Forum (MBF) has expressed dismay that more than 48 hours after the unprovoked murder of protesters, President Muhammadu Buhari is yet to address Nigerians.This was contained in a statement that was issued by National President of the Forum Dr. Pogu Bitrus.Bitrus said it is sad that the youth who were shot were not criminals but patriotic citizens marching against the brutality of the nation’s police
He said the police for long horrified victims and citizens and made Nigeria the shame of the international community.Bitrus said evwn though the youth were proudly holding the national flag and reciting the national anthem when they were brutally shot at.He said inspite of all thePresident has remain aloof not finding it appropriate to address the nation.This he said is a clear sign that Nigerian President is obviously devoid of wise counsel on the bloody turnout of the #EndSARS protests that have claimed scores of lives across the country.  He said there was shooting of scores of #EndSARS protesters in various states, especially Lagos, Imo, Delta, Plateau and Abuja, among others.That he said has shown how the nonviolent marches have snowballed into mindless killings of protesters, paving way for a trail of bloodshed in a supposedly peaceful exercise. “Tuesday’s shootings of protesters who were holding the Nigerian flags  at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos, and the attendant destruction of private and public property, have thrown thick clouds of uncertainties over our nation’s skies, thereby unleashing ominous signs on our country. “Arising from these bloody protests made possible by gory confrontations between the #EndSARS demonstrators and hoodlums, the leadership of the Middle Belt Forum (MBF) totally condemns the vicious violence that rocked the foundations of our dear country.He said all were happening amidst allegation of deployment of soldiers that has so far been denied by the top army command.”As the umbrella organisation representing ethnic nationalities in the defunct Northern region, the MBF is grimly at pains over these coldblooded murders and violation of citizens’ rights to hold rallies against police brutality and demanding for a better country for all. 
“In a democratic nation like ours, these nonviolent demonstrators ought to have been given protection by the state in order to forestall a possible hijack of these peaceful rallies by hired hoodlums. “Considering the rising spate of bloody confrontations with alleged thugs that were hired to introduce violence in the #EndSARS protests so as to tarnish the peaceful dispositions of demonstrators, we call on President Buhari to intervene and stop further killings of these youths.
He said the youths were simply exercising their fundamental rights.
MBFalso drew the attention of the world to the cruelty of the police and demanding for a better country where the system works for citizens. Considering also the sequence of destruction and killings of citizens, including destruction of private and public property in various parts of the country, the Forum advise President Buhari to quickly address the nation and make clear-cut commitments, with timelines, towards addressing the demands of the youth. It is only enough that in times of grave crisis that we are presently passing through, only the President, who is the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria, should be seen leading from the front.    The forum appeal to President Buhari to immediately set up an independent judicial panel of enquiry to unearth circumstances under which the killings were perpetrated with the intention of bringing to book all those responsible for the unprovoked murders. 
The Forum also pleadd with the President to make public the outcome of the panel’s investigation and ensure that those found guilty are punished so as to serve as deterrents to others. “Justice can only be fully served when the Federal Government compensates families of victims who lost their lives in the course of these peaceful protests. “It would only serve the purpose of justice for the government to settle all bills accrued by protesters still receiving medical attention in various private and public hospitals.” The Forum condoled with victims and family members of slain demonstrators whose blood represents the supreme sacrifice they have paid for the future of our Nigeria. 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Nigeria that fared well in the 60s, is now a shadow of its glorious past- Abaribe

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Nigeria that fared well in the 60s, is now a shadow of its glorious past- Abaribe

Senate Minority Leader, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, on Monday, said Nigeria that was a shinning star in the 60s is now a shadow of its glorious past, now pushed further into a deep mess with ethnicity as as the supreme order.

Speaking at his official presentation of his autobiography “Made in Aba” in Abuja, the Abia Senator said Nigeria has continually regressed and the citizens were now reclining into their ethnic enclaves.

Abaribe noted that the country has regressed to the level that it would be difficult for any citizen to survive “if you don’t go to your ethnic enclave.”

He said: “I try to say a few things (in the book) that we might have forgotten. Why is it that we had a better life – we had pipe borne water, we had electricity 24 hours – in the 1960s?

“Now it is 50-60 years later, every person has to have borehole in his house. So he becomes his own NEPA generating power for himself; he becomes his own water board. Then I asked, why would life be like this? I tried to caption the reason why we are where we are today.

“I also tried to capture that there was a Nigeria, where it is said, in our former anthem, that though tribe and tongue may differ, in brotherhood we stand.”

He said in his early career life, he secured jobs and got promotions in places outside his southeast region only based on merit without anyone asking where he came from.

“Now, what we have done is that we have a big Nigeria that has continually regressed and now all of us are into our ethnic enclaves.

“And if you don’t go to your ethnic enclave, you won’t be able to survive in Nigeria today.

“In the book, I also look at the possibility of Nigeria that we may have assuming if each and everyone of us is committed to the country.”

Continue Reading

National

Bauchi/Benue Govs’ feud: Gov Diri to the rescue

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Bauchi/Benue Govs’ feud: Gov Diri to the rescue

By Princess Rose Yusuf

The Bayelsa State Governor, Duoye Diri has waded in to the war of words between the Governors of Bauchi and Benue State as the recent altercations between the Governors have become very disturbing.
He called on the leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to wade in and ensure that the matter is resolved.
He was speaking during a courtesy visit to Governor Bala Muhammed in Bauchi State Government’s House Thursday.
Diri said,
“The raging current issue between two brother Governors of the same party is not good, I seize this opportunity to advise and call on both of you who are members of our great party to please cease further actions and reactions on the burning national security issues.
“May I also use the opportunity to call on our party to immediately intervene and resolve whatever issues that are still yet unresolved amicably as a party and as brothers.”

In his response, Governor Muhammed promised to cooperate and reduce the tension and he gave the assurance that no words would be heard on the matter again. He also seized the opportunity to  apologise to all Governors, the national assembly, his constituents and all Nigerians.
He said, “There is no disharmony between me and my brother and my friend in Benue, we are just having the courage to discourse a burning National issue and I am happy that Nigerians have the opportunity, to discourse the issue and we are going to do everything on my own part to make sure we disedcalate the issue that it will not bring injury to our party and to national unity. I was not doing anything in anyway to insult, or to cause any injury to my brother whom I have worked together with at the cabinet and now as Governors.
“I want to use this opportunity to apologise to my various contituencies; especially the national assembly even though I said the truth but it has injured their sensibilities or it has touched on their privileged as we used to say in parliamentary parlance.
“I was doing it out of nationalism and patriotism. At the same time the Governors if what I said was also injurious to them, I apologise to them and say sorry to them and indeed all Nigerians.
“But certainly as I said, my brother, I have no apology for saying the truth, but certainly sometimes you say the truth and it would be injurious.

Continue Reading

National

Senate confirms Bawa as EFCC Chairman

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Senate confirms Bawa as EFCC Chairman

The Senate on Wednesday confirmed Abdulrasheed Bawa as the substantive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

He was confirmed after being grilled during Senate plenary.

For more than six years the commission was headed by persons in acting capacity.

For the first time a staff of the commission who is not a police officer is being appointed as chairman.
He rose through the ranks from the academy before being nominated to head the commission.

The Anti graft agency’s chairmanship designate reacted to a plethora of questions posed by Senators on his preparedness for the job, given his age and working in a complex society like Nigeria, at planary

Bawa, addressed most of the concerns of lawmakers, while assuring that he would bring his experience to bear having joined the agency in 2004.

Continue Reading

Trending