Connect with us

World

Migration: National Refugee Commission Partners Embassy of Netherland

Published

on

Spread the love

Migration: National Refugee Commission Partners Embassy of Netherland 


The National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons (NCFRMI) is collaborating with the Embassy of Netherlands to resolve migration issues in Nigeria.
The Honourable Federal Commissioner of the Commission, Senator Basheer Garba Mohammed (Lado), while receiving, the Ambassador of the Kingdom of Netherland, His Excellency, Harry Van Dijk, said, the Commission has increased advocacy for sensitization of migrants against illegal migration.
“As the agency leading in all aspects of the Federal Governments  migration coordination our goal has been to steadfastly advocate for safe and orderly migration that will ensure more lives saved and not lost”, Lado stated.
“This year we have streamlined resources to primarily focus on the protection of Persons of Concern – this includes migrants – and we have ramped up sensitization of Nigerians that will promote regular migration within the country”.
“To this end and by the middle of this year we intend to launch the Resettlement City Rehabilitation & Reintegration Project in 4 states across the country ( Borno, Kano, Katsina and Edo States)”, he stressed.
“Intentionally, the Edo State facility was selected for use as a transitional migrant Centre for rehabilitation and reintegration of migrants who have returned from abroad and need support before going back to their former homes”.
“We are very excited about this plan and the opportunity to provide the necessary protection and sensitization for this group of citizens.  Never before has there been a Centre of such support in Nigeria”, Lado added.  
“We have listened to the numerous calls from migrants and believe that this is one way for the Commission to promote safe return and reintegration of migrants that is free of stigma, especially for those who have returned from gruesome experiences”. 
“I am pleased to hear of plans for the upcoming Nigeria-Netherlands Strategic Dialogue on Migration and Consular Affairs and I look forward to progressive partnerships designed in line with our streamlined focus as a nation, the Commissioner concluded.
“For the last year the COVID-19 pandemic has restricted our movement and inevitably this has delayed us from meeting each other in person. Nonetheless, I am delighted that today we have the opportunity to meet and resume discussions that will benefit our migratory landscape in Nigeria as well as our relations with the Kingdom of the Netherlands”, the Commissioner concluded.
Responding, the Ambassador, Harry Van Dijk stated that the COVID-19 pandemic has restricted their movement and inevitably that has delayed the meeting but he is delighted that they have resumed discussions that will benefit the migratory landscape in Nigeria as well as relations with the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
“We are happy to be here and we will do everything to support the Commission in every way possible as we hope to boost bilateral dialogue on migration and investment and trade, the ambassador added. 
Also at the meeting are the Commission’s director, Refugee and Migration, Tai Hassan Ejibunu; deputy director, IDPs of the Commission, Fatima Mamman Daura; deputy director, planning, Stephen Medaiyedu and the Commissioner’s Technical Assistant, Tahirah Ikharo.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Ex-Maldives president flown to Germany after assassination attempt

Published

on

By

Spread the love

By AFP

Former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed, who was seriously wounded in an assassination attempt, was flown to Germany Thursday for treatment, officials said.

The 53-year-old democracy pioneer and climate activist was the target of a remote-controlled bomb rigged to a motorbike one week ago in the capital Male.
He underwent 16 hours of surgery to remove shrapnel from his liver, lungs and abdomen. The hospital discharged him Thursday, clearing the way for a medical evacuation to Germany.
An ambulance surrounded by heavy security took Nasheed to the airport where a special flight was waiting.
Hospital employees posted a photo of Nasheed on social media in a blue medical jacket posing with four staff members.
Nasheed thanked the staff in his first Twitter comment since the May 6 attack.
“A special thanks to the health sector of the Maldives,” Nasheed said. “By the grace of Allah, I remain committed to delivering democratic good governance for the people.”
Police have arrested three men in connection with the attack, which they said was linked to Islamic extremism.

There has been no claim of responsibility but Nasheed’s Maldivian Democratic Party has said religious extremists and political interests could be involved.
The Indian Ocean archipelago of 340,000 people is majority Muslim and has had past brushes with Islamic extremism in the past.
In October 2019 police arrested a suspected Islamic State recruiter accused of sending dozens of Maldivians to Syria.
Nasheed ended decades of one-party rule in the Maldives and became its first democratically elected president in 2008, only to be toppled in a coup in 2012.
He is known internationally for championing the fight against climate change and rising sea levels that threaten the nation of 1,192 coral islands.

Culled from the AFP

Continue Reading

World

UN Intelligence prepares to discuss Nigeria Security with religious leaders 

Published

on

By

Spread the love

UN Intelligence prepares to discuss Nigeria Security with religious leaders

***Winners of 2021 Queen Tonto Dike women empowerment give testimonies

By Aminci Audu

Some UN leaders would soon arrive Nigeria with the sole purpose of engaging Christian and Muslim leaders in the country in discussion on the security situation to bring about safety for Nigerians on the roads and in their homes, Ambassador, Steve Midala has said.

Midalah who is the UN International Chairman, Security and Intelligence, African Affairs said the move is aimed at solving Nigeria’s security challenge especially on the roads and in the homes.

He gave the indication at a ceremony where 10 women got N100,000 each, two bags of rice and 20 litres of palm oil following their emergence as winners of the 2021 of Queen Tonto Dike empowerment for poor women program.

Midalah said the UN body will discuss security matters with religious leaders.
According to him: “All the program we have initiated, before the month end, will be executed to give Nigerians a sense of humanity.

‘Not less than 10 of our international leaders will be here in Nigeria  for inter-religous activities, we are meeting with the Sultan and the President of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) and then she (Tontoh Dike) is our brand ambassador going forward.

“We shall fight anybody to the supreme Court in defending our name, UN Rescue Services aimed at action plan for the sustainable development goal of eradicating extreme hunger in the land,” Midalah said.

The 10 lucky women were the beneficiary for the year and they are expected to invest the money in thier trade of charcoal, pepper meat, while the two bags of rice and oil provide buffer for the family as the investment in their businesses to grow.

Steve who said the organisation was also out to boost rural housing scheme said the Zamfara state government has offered the UN group a 250 hectares of land to build it’s housing scheme.
He said the housing scheme is targeted at poor rural women whom have been written off by society but will own houses to their name.

This he noted has been complemented by being offered a land area to build 1,000 houses to boost affordable housing scheme for the Nigerian population in the FCT.

Miss Rose a beneficiaries said the money will be used to grow her business, so she can have savings to own a house in the future scheme she is expected to buy and own.

The Actress turned philanthropist, Tonto Dike said she scaled down the beneficiaries to 10 persons from the initial hundred because of the Covid-19 pandemic which has slowed so many things.

The joy of the beneficiaries knew no bounds as they spoke to the NationalUpdate on their ordeal before the succor came their way.

Florence Olayemi from Lugbe, said she used to roast corn, for the upkeep of her two children. 

According to her, she had been widowed for almost three years. 

She said used the proceeds for her children upkeep. 

“I don’t even have house where I can lay my head. I am roasting corn at car wash in an uncompleted building in Lugbe. 

“They came and met me saying that it is a serious issue. They have surprise us. I will use the N1000 to expand my business.”

Another beneficiary Ogechi Amabotu from Imo state, said they met her at the uncompleted building at the Okada Bridge in Lugbe where Ishe was living before the Government demolished the place.

She said, she was into pedicure and manicure, eye lashes and plating of hair.

“I lost my husband December 2017, he died in a motor accident when I was two months pregnant of my second son. 

“Their Father is from Ijebu, the first daughter is Aduke.

 She said she would use part of the N100, 000 to get a room as they have been thrown out of the uncompleted building, saying that with the rain mosquitoes are on the prowl.

What remains she said will be used to take her daughter to school and also to expand her business.
Abigail Anthony, said she sells Peper meat, a single lady, she said she was lucky to have been identified in the church.

She said with the N100, 000, she will get a shop and expand her business. She also prayed God to bless her with husband.

Mary Abiola said her husband died two years ago and that she sells goodstuff at Jahi 1 by police station. 

“I haVE three children. I used to buy foodstuffs on credit but I will buy every thing with cash now, I will not do credit again, I will be able to save my gains. 

She prayed God to bless the foundation

Continue Reading

World

Swiss Govt says it is committed to aiding Nigeria recorver looted funds through judicial cooperation

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Swiss Govt says it is committed to aiding Nigeria recorver looted funds through judicial cooperation

The Swiss Government has reiterated its determination to continue to assist Nigeria in recorvering its looted funds stached away in their banks by some corrupt Nigerian leaders.
Speaking yesterday at the 10th anniversary of Nigeria-Switzerland Migration Partnership at the ministry of foreign Affairs in Abuja, the Federal Councillor, head of the Federal Department of Justice and Police Switzerland Kerin Keler said 
“The irregular funds, of course are given back in judicial procedures to Nigeria just like the Abacha looted funds have been given back.
“We have a system of assisting also the Nigerian judicial system, we do our best in that field, I told you may be that it is possible to improve this judicial cooperation between Switzerland and Nigeria.
She was reacting to a poser over irregular migration ocasioned by bad leadership bequeathed on Nigeria by its corrupt leaders who looted and statched away funds in her country.
On regular migration she said they are bound by their laws.
“As far as regular migration is concerned we are bound by Swiss laws, as you might know we have a free movement of workers just within the European Union, as far as four States are concerned.
She said they also have a window for specialists for which Nigeria is not excluded.
“Of course that
Nigerian specialists on this project system can also come to Switzerland,
But the projects we have are based on reintegration on project. “We also have work for people coming back, which is important that when they come back to Switzerland or have to go back to Nigeria they have a job opportunity and this is what is the focus of the migration partnership. 
“It is not regular migration as this is restricted for all nationals to Switzerland which are not European Union citizens.”
She said the system they have is for talented and also qualified people.
The Seisd minister said her country is happy to mark the 10th year anniversaryof the Migration partnership despite challenges faced by Nigeria and that of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Keler said Switzerland has an excellent and longstanding relationship with Nigeria that dates back to Nigeria’s independence in 1960 with the opening of its embassy in Lagos in 1961.
According to her, Nigeria and her country have celebrated 60 years of diplomatic relationship adding that this time around they are also celebrating the 10th year anniversary of the migration partnership

Continue Reading

Trending