Connect with us

Legislature

N’Assembly suspends planned hike in electricity tariffs

Published

on

Spread the love

N’Assembly suspends planned hike in electricity tariffs

The leadership of the National Assembly on Monday have succeeded in convincing the Distribution Companies(DISCOs) to defer the planned hike in electricity tariffs from July 1st, 2020 till the first quarter of 2021 after it waded into the controversy.

The President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila and other principal Officers of the two Chambers achieved the feat after they met at the National Assembly with the Chief Executives of the government electricity regulatory body and DISCOs across the country.
This was disclosed in a statement that was released by the Special Adviser (Media) to President of the Senate Ola Awoniyi.
The statement indicated that the Chairmen of the Committees on Power from the Senate and House of Representatives were also in attendance at the meeting.
It further stated that the National Assembly leaders were emphatic at the meeting that the timing of the planned hike was wrong even though they had no much issue with the need to introduce a cost reflective tariffs for the power sector to attract the much needed investment.

In the course of the meeting, the DISCOs too admitted that they were not well prepared for the planned hike in tariffs even though they so much desired the increase.

The meeting agreed to defer the planned hike till first quarter of next year while the leadership of the National Assembly promised to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari on the issue.

“The agreement here is that there is not going to be any increase in the tariffs on July 1st,” Lawan said at the end of the meeting.

“The Speaker and I, we are going to take appropriate action and meet with the President.

“We are in agreement here that there is no question on the justification of the increase but the time is simply not right and appropriate measures need to be put in place

“So between now and the first quarter of next year, our task will be to work together with you to ensure that we put those blocks in place to support the eventual increase in tariffs,” Lawan said.

Lawan said the government has been doing a lot as part of its obligations to provide some form of Intervention.

“I’m quite aware that for this year, probably starting from last year, over N600 billion was earmarked for this sector to improve.

“The potential increase in the tariffs is definitely something that will be of concern to us in the National Assembly.

“There is too much stress in the lives of Nigerians today and indeed across the world because of the challenges imposed by COVID-19 pandemic and even before then, we had issues that would always make it tough for our people to effectively pay the tariffs.

“One way or the other, for this business to flourish, for this sector to be appropriately fixed, for it to attract investment, something has to give way, there is no doubt about that but it is also crucial that we look at the timing for any of our actions,” Lawan said.

In the same vein, Rt. Hon. Gbajabiamila said the National Assembly is on the same page with the DISCOs on the issue of cost reflective tariffs.

“There is time for everything. A well intended programme or policy of government can fall flat on the face and never recover if you do it at a wrong time. I think we all agree to that.

“There cannot be a time as bad as this for us to increase anything. Forget about electricity, anything. Whereas, even in time of decreasing revenue, we are even reducing the pump price. I don’t know how we can justify an increase in the cost of electricity at this time in Nigeria.

“The good things is that we have agreed that we need to do something about the cost,” the Speaker said.

Gbajabiamila posed some questions to the DISCOs and the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission(NERC): “How did we arrive at the tariffs or costs. Who were the stakeholders that were present. What was the role of the National Assembly. More importantly, is the President aware of this because the President is perhaps the biggest stakeholder of all, apart from the Nigerian people.

“Whatever will affect his government is something that should concern all of us. I think this will affect his government. This timing. Not the increase. The timing. I think it will affect his government and if it is going to affect his government, we should all rally around our people, our president and the government to make sure we do the right thing,” Gbajabiamila said.

The representatives of the DISCOs said if the planned hike is eventually deferred till next year, the government should continue to bear the difference in the present tariff and what was considered as the appropriate tariff.

Others in attendance at the meeting were the representatives of NERC, Kano Electricity Distribution Company, Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company, Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company and Eko Electricity Distribution Company.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Legislature

House of reps denies tendering apology to presidency for carrying out its constitutional mandate

Published

on

By

Spread the love

House of reps denies tendering apology to presidency for carrying out its constitutional mandate

From Doris Ferdinand

The House of Representatives has debunked news making the round that it apologised to the Presidency for exercising its constitutional mandate.
This was contained in a statement that was issued by the Spokesperson of the House of Representatives
Representative  Benjamin Kalu.
He said the news in a few sections of the media that the House apologized to the Presidency over the resolution of the House was not true.
He said the issue arose from the motion sponsored by members from Borno State, requesting for the invitation of the President to brief the nation on the state of insecurity in the country adding that the President never asked for any apology.

“The President or the Presidency as the case may be, never sought for an apology from the House of Representatives for carrying out her constitutional responsibility to the Nigerian electorate. “Where then did the media get the report that the House as an institution apologized to anyone? Media professionals are advised to uphold the ethics of their profession.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the House never apologized to anyone for exercising her constitutional mandate and the 9th Assembly of the House of Representatives under the leadership of Speaker Femi Gbajabiamila will not do anything to desecrate or destroy the critical institution of democracy – the Legislature.
“We strongly believe that President Muhammadu Buhari subscribes to these democratic ethos and ideals as well.”

Continue Reading

Legislature

House leader claims no impeachment attempt was contemplated against Buhari

Published

on

By

Spread the love

House leader claims no impeachment attempt was contemplated against Buhari

***insists Chinda will face sanctions

Majority Leader, House of Representatives, Rt. Hon . Alhassan Ado Doguwa has debunked rumoured impeachment attemp in the Green Chamber against President Muhammadu Buhari.

In a statement in Abuja on Tuesday, the House Leader dismissed as untrue, threat by the opposition to consider impeachment option against the President over alleged infractions against the parliament.

Doguwa described utterances to that effect made by Hon. Kingsley Chinda as “unholy, unbecoming, and unhallowed unparliamentary conduct” insisting that such rumour is mischievous.

The Leader in the statement said “I wish to declare that Hon. Chinda’s unacceptable actions smacks of disdain, disrespect and desecration of the time – honoured legislative practice amounting to flagrant abuse of the individual and collective privileges as members of the House of Representatives.

“What makes it more worrisome is that no such matter has been raised or discussed at any plenary or at any point in the life of this 9th Assembly.

“Relying on our official records, I make bold to say that Hon. Chinda used to be the Leader of the PDP Caucus in the Green Chamber but he has since ceased to be the Leader of the PDP Caucus in the House of Representatives and therefore cannot claim to speak on behalf of the PDP Caucus whatsoever. His actions are regrettable, despicable and capable of jeopardizing the current working relationship with the Executive arm of government”.

The Majority Leader also stated that while the leadership and members of the House of Representatives had worked assiduously to maintain a harmonious Executive – Legislative relationship for the collective benefits of all Nigerians, it was unfortunate that Hon. Chinda’s singular action truncated President Buhari’s initial acceptance to honour the invitation of the House.

Declaring Chinda’s action as unacceptable, the Leader said the leadership, cannot fold its arms and watch a member undermine their institutional authority by spreading unfounded rumours.
“In the same vein, we as a House, and even in our respective Caucuses , have never contemplated any impeachment process against the President. There is virtually nothing in the horizon that points in that direction. “As leader of the House, I wish to seize the opportunity of this press statement to notify the general public that the House would be compelled to initiate and take legislative, legitimate and proper disciplinary action against Hon. Kingsley Chinda to serve as deterrent to others”.

Doguwa commended and congratulated President Buhari for taking appropriate actions in rescuing the over 300 abducted school boys in Kankara, Katsina State in fulfilment of the promises of his administration to protect lives and properties.

He, in the same vein, commended the government of Katsina State, governor Aminu Masari, the military, security and intelligent forces in tackling banditry, kidnapping and insurgency in the country, while he urged them to redouble their efforts to meet the expectations of Nigerians.

Continue Reading

Legislature

No more extension for 2020 budget implementation says Lawan

Published

on

By

Spread the love

No more extension for 2020 budget implementation says Lawan

President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, has said that the National Assembly would not accede to another request from the Executive to extend the capital implementation of the 2020 budget.

Lawan stated this in his remark after the upper chamber passed a N13.58 trillion budget for the 2021 fiscal year. 

According to the Senate President, the National Assembly’s approval granting extension for implementation of the capital component of the 2020 budget last week, should therefore be fully utilized by Ministries, Departments and Agencies of Government.

He added that the extension of capital implementation of the 2020 budget till 31st March, 2021; alongside the implementation of the 2021 budget starting in January 2021, would guarantee sufficient injection of funds into Nigeria’s economy. 

“For Nigerians, this budget that has been passed in the National Assembly today, is to ensure that the economy is supported fully through public expenditure, because the economy of our country depends largely on public expenditure. 

“The budget extension period for implementation of the 2020 budget, which we did last year, is to ensure that the funds that are available for 2020 are not lost. 

“So, there will be two budgets running; funds from 1st January, 2021, up to 31st March, 2021; and then the implementation of the 2021 budget itself to start from January. That is absolute fight against the recession we are suffering from. 

“With a projected 3 percent growth in our Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in the 2021 budget, we believe that the recession which Nigeria is in will be over before the end of the first quarter.”

Lawan, while urging the Executive arm of government to ensure the implementation of the 2020 budget till March 2021 as extended last week by the Legislature, warned that the National Assembly would reject any further extension request on the implementation of  capital expenditure contained in the 2020 budget. 

“I want to urge the executive arm of government, first to ensure that they implement the 2020 budget that will last up till 31st March, 2021. 

“There will be no extension after 31st March. Everyone must be on their toes in the Ministries, Departments and Agencies to ensure they implement the budget 2020. 

“And for 2021, we have to do everything and anything possible to ensure that we implement the budget like we tried to do in 2020.

“I believe that the economy of Nigerians will receive the right kind of boost from the implementation of the two budgets,” the Senate President said. 

Continue Reading

Trending