Connect with us

Top News

Nigerians should reject meters that have no seal, NEMSA cautions

Published

on

Spread the love

Nigerians should reject meters that have no seal, NEMSA cautions

By Mustapha Sumaila

The Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency (NEMSA) on Wednesday advised Nigerians not to accept any meter that is not sealed or labelled by the organisation.

The Managing Director of NEMSA, Engr. Peter Ewesor gave the advice at the official presentation of QMS ISO 9001:2015 certificate to the agency by Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) in Abuja.

Ewesor explained that with the ISO certificate that had been received by NEMSA, henceforth any meter deployed for installation must have the agency’s label and seal.

He cautioned that any meter that had no NEMSA label and seal should be rejected by customers.

“I have to state it clearly that any meter that is installed in your house or in your business premises, if you don’t see the seal of NEMSA, do not accept it.

“That means such meter is fake, can not be trusted and the quality of such meter can not be guaranteed.

“We will ensure that only the quality meters are brought in to the country. NEMSA will also ensure the safety in the use of electricity.

“We will be making sure all categories of electrical installations are properly plan, designed and executed so that what is provided for our comfort will not be a cause of hazard to us” he said.

He thanked SON and other stakeholders as well as the staffers for their support in actualising the feat.

In his remarks, the SON Director General, Malam Farouq Salim said with the presentation of ISO to NEMSA, the agency had joined a privileged class of Quality Management System certified and upgraded organisations in the country.

Represented by Director, Management Systems Certification Services, Engr. Felix Nyado, Salim said the certificate provided the agency with a robust, globally recognised and acceptable solution.

He said this would help in addressing  challenges associated with managing quality and delivering customer experience.

The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Power, Mr Chinyeaka Ohaa expressed delight on the achievement recorded by NEMSA.

Ohaa said the present government was desirous to ensure every citizen,  community and business had affordable and quality power supply. (NAN)

MS/

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Buhari tells mothers to admonish their wards on need for dialogue over #EndSARS

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Buhari tells mothers to admonish their wards on need for dialogue over #EndSARS

 
Apparently piqued by the growing youth restiveness which engulfed parts of the country in the last few weeks,
President Muhammadu Buhari has urged women to engage with children and youths on the need for dialogue that would yield better understanding.

The President spoke on Thursday while hosting the representatives of women at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He said Nigeria remained committed to ending violence against women and girls in Nigeria and the rest of the world.

According to him, although the country had not achieved the 35 percent affirmation on the participation of women in governance, the current administration intended to exceed the benchmark.

“I want to assure you that this administration remains resolute to not only meet the 35 percent National Gender Policy, but to exceed it across key decision-making role in government,” he said.

He restated his commitment to end child marriage and boost girl child education in all parts of the country.
The Minister of Women Affairs, Pauline Tallen, earlier appealed to President Buhari to ensure that the issues responsible for the ongoing strike by university lecturers were resolved amicably, to enable universities reopen and students go back to school

Continue Reading

Top News

Labour disowns FG over petrol price hike, as it asks for reversal to N160

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Labour disowns FG over petrol price hike, as it asks for reversal to N160

**decries FG insincerity

The organised Labour has expressed disappointment with the Federal Government over its high level of insincerity with the union.
The general secretary of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Emma Ugboajah indicated that labour movement’s agreement with Government was for local refineries to be be rehabilitated to boost local refining.
He said almost eight weeks after the negotiations, the Federal Government has not shown any commitment to all the items that were agreed upon.
He stressed that out of 161 buses that are powered gas, none of them has been supplied to the movement.
“We never supported deregulation that is anchored on price increment. Our minimum request is that the Federal Government must reverse back to N160,” Ugboajah said. “We agreed that the refineries should be out to work. We have not seen any work in that regard.
Also, we have seen the NNPC maintaining a stranglehold on importation.”
He said the are demanding for a reversal of recent hike in the petrol price adding that they did not endorse deregulation that is anchored on price.

He said the strikers option is still opened for them to explore

The President of Trade Union Congress (TUC), Quadri Olaleye, said things are going out of hand if urgent steps are not taken.
His words: “We cannot pretend that things are not going right. It seems government wants to create crisis when none exists. We have been coming here to ensure the hardship on the people is reduced.
He accused the Government of sponsoring miscreants who torment them with insults through text messages on daily bases making almost impossible for them to move freely

“Academic staffers have been on strike. We set up a committee for more than two months and nothing has happened. A month to the end of the year, nothing has been done. If today’s meeting does not solve the problem, we will mobilise outselve and stage a walk out of the meeting. I hope today’s meeting will be productive. ”
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, said the meeting was supposed to have been held in October but for #EndSars protests that rocked the nation last month.
Ngige said the Federal Government is ready to begin rolling out the palliatives as from today, Monday.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha said government is already working on some of the agreed area such as reduction of tariff on the importation of cars from 35% to 10% and other steps that the Federal Government has taken.









Continue Reading

Top News

Lekki shooting: Army debunks use of live ammunition allegation

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Lekki shooting: Army debunks use of live ammunition allegation

The Nigerian Army has debunked allegations that it used live ammunition on unarmed #EndSARS protesters, during the alleged Oct. 20 shooting at the Lekki Tollgate.
The Army made its position known when it appeared before the Lagos Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution for Victims of SARS Related Abuses and Other Matters.
Commander of the 81 Division, Military Intelligence Brigade, Victoria Island, Lagos, Brig.-Gen. Ahmed Taiwo, who testified on behalf of the Nigerian Army said that the military had fired blank ammunition into the air to disperse protesters on the night of the alleged shooting.
Taiwo, who gave a presentation to the panel with the use of a projector, played a footage which showed soldiers standing in front of singing protesters and firing their weapons into the air.
He said there would have been a lot of fatalities if the 600m live ammunition normally used by the military were used to disperse the #EndSARS protesters.
“I have been in the army since 1986 and you cannot be under fire and be singing.
“The entry hole for the 600m is thin while the exit is wide, if it hits you in the chest or the bowels, the intestines come down.
“I am an expert in ammunition having spent so long in the army. Blank ammunition is slower and can do no damage to the flesh and you have nothing to fear except you take a rifle, put it against your eye and fire.
“Even if you put it against your skin and fire you will only have burn marks,” he said.
Taiwo said that troops had managed to disperse most of the #EndSARS protesters, and had even shared drinks from protesters who had remained at the Lekki Tollgate.
He said he was monitoring the situation on the internet, and that it was after the departure of the soldiers that hoodlums set the tollgate on fire.
He said that non-kinetic (non violent) means was used in the Army’s rules of engagement during the protests.
Following his revelation, Taiwo through the counsel of the Nigerian Army, Mr Akinlolu Kehinde (SAN), presented four spent blank ammunition to the panel as evidence.
Taiwo said there was a lapse in communication between the Lagos State Government and the Nigerian Army regarding the imposing and lifting of the curfew.
“Due to the urgency of the security situation in the state, the governor declared a 24-hour curfew which was supposed to start at 4pm.
“They wanted everyone off the streets to deal with the hoodlums, but after some observations the timing was shifted to 21:00 hours, but this timing was not communicated to the Nigerian Army.
“Be that as it may, we the Nigerian Army had already immediately deployed the 65 Battalion under the 81 Division Garrison to forestal all further violence and loss of lives.
“It is important to note that this deployment of troops contrary to reports, was done throughout Lagos to activate Phase 4 of the Internal Security Operations,” Taiwo said.
The officer told the panel that the Army had entered the Stabilisation Phase of the Internal Security Operations, and had started recovering looted items when the Lagos State Government lifted the curfew without informing them.
“We were still recovering a lot of looted items which were given back to the owners on production of receipt or proof of ownership.
“If the curfew was not lifted we would have recovered a 100 times more than the items we recovered,” Taiwo said.

Continue Reading

Trending