Connect with us

News

Organized labour declares indefinite strike in Kogi over unpaid salaries

Published

on

Spread the love

Organized labour declares indefinite strike in Kogi over unpaid salary

Following Governments failure to meet the demands of the Organized labour in Kogi State, the leaders on Thursday directed their members to embark on indefinite strike action forthwith.
This is coming just as the National Union of Local Government Employees also issued a seven days ultimatum within which they would also embark on indefinite strike if Government fails to meet with their own demands.
The unions made up of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Trade Union Congress (TUC) and the Public Service Joint Negotiating Council (PSJNC) rose from a joint session yesterday to declare the industrial action starting from Friday 22nd September, 2017.
The demands of labour includes full payment of all salary arrears owed workers, stoppage of the clock in clock out which is aimed at casualising workers, and discontinuation of the contributory pension scheme.
The NLC chairman Onuh Edoka who spoke on behalf of the labour leaders said the strike is the only life line left for workers in Kogi State to negotiate their survival in the hands of the government.
He urged the workers to stay at home for eternity if it would take Government eternity to pay outstanding salary arrears owed their members.
“This is because, never in the history of our State has the civil servants recorded the massive hunger induced deaths that are witnessed in recent time, not to talk of the trauma, anguish, pains, sickness, penury, truncation of children’s education, huge unsettled house rent/medical bills etc that workers/pensioners are experiencing.
“Besides, the Government’s white paper on the screening exercise being currently implemented is aimed at achieving massive retrenchment of workers precisely all those in the directorate cadre and civil servants that have 5 years and below to retire.”
He said it has already started with the permanent secretaries.
Edoka indicated that in the light of the foregoing their believe in the struggle is non negotiable.
He urged workers to ignore all threats, intimidation and blackmail from Government quarters adding that the deeds of dictators can only be checked by courage, perseverance and resoluteness.
The chairman directed all Muslim civil servants to pray in their mosques on Friday while their christian counterparts should observe similar prayers on Sunday for God to protect the labour leaders and the entire workers as the struggle lasts.
“The general public and the entire workers are also enjoined to pray earnestly and consistently for God to rescue Kogi Workers and the state as a whole.”
He urged workers to be law abiding and prayerful.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Rumour mill fails to grind as CAN debunks fire outbreak at its Ecumenical Center

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Rumour mill fails to grind as CAN debunks fire outbreak at its Ecumenical Center

The rumour that Chritajn Association of Nigeria, (CAN) National Secretariat and National Ecumenical Centre had been set on fire by hoodlums who have hijacked the #EndSARS protests against police brutality could not help yesterday as it was immediately debunked by CAN.

The Christian Association of Nigeria described as fake reports that it’s the Ecumenical center was on fire.
The General Secretary of CAN, Joseph Daramola, responded swiftly to clear every doubt.
He said, “Nothing happened. It’s not true, I’m just coming out of the office. The time now is 08:27pm. I’m just in my car driving back to my house. They said it came from AIT.”

The Executive Secretary of the Nigeria Inter-Religious Council, Cornelius Omonokhua, also clarified that the report was “a false alarm.”

“It’s not true, it’s a false alarm. As I speak, the General Secretary of CAN is in the office; there’s nothing like that. It’s a false alarm, there’s nothing like that,” he stated.
The rumour mills have been grinding in FCT giving false indication that all is still not well after the #ENDSARS protests.

Continue Reading

Metro

Association reiterates commitment to providing affordable houses for the poor

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Association reiterates commitment to providing affordable houses for the poor

An association that has history of support for the poor in Urban areas has reiterated its commitment to providing affordable housing for people that subscribe.

Secretary of the association Mr. Yusuf Edego said they are working hard to build confidence in their clients after the mismanagement of N200m that affected them gravely recently

He stated this yesterday in Abuja during a press briefing to intimate the public on the association’s effort in giving the group a new image.

He said the association in Support of Urban Poor is registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission with the aim to providing affordable houses for subscribed members of the Association and the general public.
According to him the former management headed by Mr. James Ugah allegedly defrauded the Association of millions of Naira adding that the matter is pending in court
He explained that those involved were arrested, charged to court and
remanded in Kuje prison for several months for fraud and mismanagement of the association’s funds and the case is ongoing at FCT High Court 11 Jabi.
As part of the repositioning process for the associatio he said it now has a Nine member Registered Board of Trustees (BOT) who were elected at a general meeting chaired by His Royal Highness Emmanuel Kyauta Yepwi.
He said the Board of Trustees (BOT) is the highest administrative body that makes decision to be implemented by the Executive arm headed by the Secretary Barrister Yusuf Zakari Ukpo-Edego who oversees the day to day of administration of the Association.

On how he thinks people will have confidence in the association after the dent on its integrity he said it is the reason for the press conference. “Before we came we have one or two projects on ground that are verifiable that has been executed by the new executive.
“We have acquired twelve hectares at Kurudu that you can verify which you can buy and build your own house.
“Also the public can go to FCDA at the SDD department and meet the director that FEDUP claim they are in partnership with them to build about 167 housing units at Kuje.
“They are verifiable. Then the issue of 30 hectares we just acquired is still in process.
“We have the Family homes Fund which is an agency established by the Federal Government for provision of Social Houses for Nigerians so we are partnering with them by the grace of God they have agreed to sponsor the 30 hectares for the general Public”

PRESS RELEASE BY FEDUP ASSOCIATION FOR THE SUPPORT OF URBAN POOR (FEDUP) ON THE STATE OF AFFAIRS AND THE WAY FORWARD

INTRODUCTION Fedup is the Association for the Support of Urban Poor (FEDUP) is Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) that is registered wlth the Corporate Affairs
Commission (CAC) with the sole objective to provide social affordable houses for subscribed members of the Association and the general public 

Continue Reading

National

Our problem with #ENDSARS protest was the hijack by miscreants says Buhari

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Our problem with #ENDSARS protest was the hijack by miscreants says Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has explained to former Heads of State and Presidents of Nigeria, that the initial genuine and well-intended protest of youths in parts of the country against the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) was hijacked and misdirected.

In a virtual meeting with the former leaders, Buhari said he could not have folded his arms and allow miscreants and criminals continue to perpetrate acts of hooliganism in the country.
These were contained in a statement that was issued in Abuja Friday by his special adviser
(Media & Publicity) Femi Adesina
In the statement Buhari reeled out the initial concessions made by his administration on the demands of youths protesting against the excesses of some members of the SARS.

He recalled that the youths had demanded that the squad be disbanded, and further articulated the additional demands, including:

”The immediate release of all arrested protesters.

”Justice for deceased victims of police brutality and appropriate compensation for their families.

”Setting up an independent body to oversee the investigation and prosecution of all reports of Police misconduct within 10 days.

”Psychological evaluation and re-training of all disbanded SARS officers before they can be re-deployed; and increase in Police salary.”

The President declared: ”We accepted all the demands and proceeded immediately to scrap SARS and started the process of addressing the other demands.

”Unfortunately, the protesters refused to call off the protest and engage the Government to address their grievances. Instead, they became emboldened and gradually turned violent.”

President Buhari expressed concern that in the mayhem that ensued, many lives were lost, while a number of public and private properties completely destroyed or vandalized.
The President reaffirmed that,

”We will continue to improve good governance through our democratic process including through sustained engagement.

”We shall also continue to ensure that liberty and freedom, as well as the fundamental rights of all citizens are protected. Here, I want to also reaffirm our commitment to preserving the unity of this country.”

He thanked the former Heads of State for attending the meeting and their invaluable comments, observations and advice, adding that ”Nigerians expect nothing less from responsible statesmen.”

Each of the former leaders commended President Buhari for steps taken so far to restore calm and order to the country and also applauded the presidential broadcast of Thursday as detailed and soothing to the country.

”I commend the speech of last night. The nation had been waiting. You made points that I believe need to be commended. Peaceful demonstration is part of democratic practice. The demands of the genuine protesters were accepted, and you are working on implementation. We commend you,” former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, said.

The former heads of state were unanimous in their view that generation of employment and growing the economy including through direct foreign investments were critical to checking youth restiveness.

They also expressed their condolences to the bereaved families of civilians, policemen and soldiers killed as a result of the violent protest, and reaffirmed the commitment to respect the fundamental rights of citizens, including for peaceful protest as enshrined in the Constitution.

The former Heads of State also condemned the divisive and inciting pronouncements of separatists, and were of the opinion that such acts should be stopped.

Equally, the former Leaders commended the actions taken by Governors to address the demands of the ENDSARS protesters and their efforts to check the excesses of those who perpetrated violent acts and conduct.

Finally, they called on youths to pursue peaceful means, in seeking redress through engagement with Government and encouraged further conversation with the youths and other stakeholders in the country.
At the meeting were all living past leaders, including: Gen. Yakubu Gowon, President Olusegun Obasanjo, Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, Chief Ernest Shonekan, Gen. Abulsalami Abubakar, and former President Goodluck Jonathan.

Continue Reading

Trending