Connect with us

Top News

PDP accuse Kogi Gov of tyranny, demand release Okai, others

Published

on

Spread the love

PDP accusses Kogi Gov of tyranny, demand release of Okai, others

The Kogi State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has accused the Governor Yahaya Bello led All Progressives Congress, APC administration in the state of high-handedness and gradual drift to tyrany. The party demands the prompt release of Comrade Austin Okai from illegal detention. This is contained in a Press Statement signed by Mr Bode Ogunmola, state Publicity Secretary of the PDP in Lokoja today.

Ogunmola said the drift is manifest in the spate of arrests and harassment by law enfircement agents, of people, especially journalists, who are thought to be critical of the government.
“The latest victim of the intimidation is citizen Austin Okai, National Co-ordinator of the PDP Youth Alliance. Citizen Okai was arrested Sunday afternoon on the street of Abuja by security agents on the orders of the Governor and whisked to an unknown destination. He has since been held incommunicado. Other people who have suffered similar fate include Friday Ogungbemi, publisher of the Policy and Law Maker magazine, who was detained by the DSS for about a week last year and one McDavis Wonder a social media activist who was detained for two days last month, by the same DSS. Late last year, Mr. Sam Egwu, state Correspondent of the Leadership newspaper was beaten up in Ganaja area of Lokoja by people suspeected to be state agents.”

The PDP said the list can go on and on. “It is now common knowledge in the state that the fear of Bello is the beginning of wisdom. We have even heard that government rewards informants who report and give information that can lead to the arrest of any critic of its thoughtless policies. Citizens are daily hounded into torture cells in Government House and elsewhere.”

The party then “demand the immediate and unconditional release of citizen Okai and all other detainees of conscience whose voices the Bello misadministration seeks to stiffle. For as long as Nigeria is a signatory to the foundernental bill of human rights and the Nigerian constitution guarantees the freedom of speech, we call on the law enforcement agents to resist the temptation of being used for pecuniary motiffs by desperate politicians.”

Ogunmola warned that the recourse to Gestapo tactics against cutizens is an indication of a government in the decline. “Rather than it’s current style of trial by ordeal of citizens, we advise Governor Bello to redefine its tolerance level and tamper its adrenalin glands when revewing citizens opinions about its activities and inactions.

The statement noted that the PDP will no longer fold its arms or stay aloof while its members are harassed by a ‘clueless and opportunistic leadership.’ As injustice to one is injustice to all, we shall fight for and defend the enforcement of human rights of our members. A situation where citizens are not allowed to hold and pass informed judgement about people who daily take decission that mar or make their destinies is not acceptable.
Kogi people are too informed to be deformed by bad government, without a voice.” The PDP concluded.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

FG declares its readiness to deploy 5G network after precautionary measures

Published

on

By

Spread the love

FG declares its readiness to deploy 5G network after precautionary measures

By Aminci Audu

The minister of communications and Digital Economy Isah Ali Pantami has declared that Nigeria is ready for 5th Generation Network (5G) as long as the major challenges are taken care of.

Pantami spoke yesterday, at a one day investigative hearing on the present status of 5G network organised by the joint Senate committee on communication, sScience and Technology, ICT and Cybercrime and Primary Healthcare and Communicable Diseases.

The minister in his presentation allayed the fear among Nigerians over the planned deployment of the network saying the Federal Government has taken all necessary precautions by investigating through research and trial on all issues raised.

He said “The position is that we are almost at the final stage. So now, Nigeria is ready for 5G as long as we address the major challenges.”

“We have not gotten there, wether we will deploy 5G but we are on track conducting research, investigations, engaging stakeholders and definitely if all issues are addressed, the executive will support the deployment of 5G in Nigeria.”

He noted that so far no negative impacts has been established from the research and trial carried both locally and at the international level. 

On the speculation that the 5G network escalated the COVID-19 he said there is no link between 5G and COVID-19.
“And there is no relationship between 5G and any desease. The only issue being raised usually is about radiation.  But people don’t realise that the radiation of 4G is more harmful than that of 5G. 
“The radiation of microwave oven at home is more harmful than that of the 5G. The radiation of even the smart phone itself is even more harmful that that of 5G

Continue Reading

Top News

SELF backs Sylva over choice of Saipem on Bonny NLNG Train 7 contract

Published

on

By

Spread the love

SELF backs Sylva over choice of Saipem on Bonny NLNG Train 7 contract

The South-south Emerging Leaders Forum (SELF) has faulted allegations of wrong doing leveled against the Minister of State for Petroleum Chief Timipre Sylva over the choice of Saipem, an Italian firm to handle the Bonny NLNG Train 7 contract.

SELF in a statement argued that the deal also endorsed by the Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Local Content Board Engr. Simbi Wabote was in the best interest of the country.

SELF position was in response to an online publication which accused the duo of bribe taking running into millions of naira in the deal.

SELF warned the publisher of the medium , Mr Jackson Ude, to desist from blackmailing leaders of the South-south extraction in a bid to score political goals.

Urging the Publisher of the online medium to show proof his allegation, SELF noted: “We strongly condemn the allegation leveled by Pointblanknews.com and its sponsors, this is highly condemnable and viewed as a sponsored plot to instigate hate against the Minister and derail his concentrations.

“This is ridiculous and belittling of Jackson Ude, the face behind this blackmail for being petty to the ground level for publishing tissues of lies about the persons of Timipre Sylva and Simbi Wabote.

“Nigerians should not believe this and throw it into the dust bin. It’s incumbent on all well-meaning Nigerians to support the positive drive of Minister and collaborate with him, towards the actualization of the onerous task at stake.

“Although Jackson Ude and his medium Pointblanknews.com are criminally known for thriving in the business of blackmail, especially against the officeholders from the Niger Delta region. But this forum will henceforth resist this criminality by deploying all known instrumental of law to fight the faces behind these tissues of lies.

“This Forum is using this medium to warn the likes of Jackson Ude to stay away from Nigeria and the South-south most especially if they are not ready to turn a new leaf because the business of blackmail has long become outdated and unpopular.”

Continue Reading

Top News

Great relief as Kidnapped Punch reporter, Nnodim regains freedom

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Great relief as Kidnapped Punch reporter, Nnodim regains freedom


It was a great relief for journalists, family members, friends and well wishers when the news filtered in that the Punch Newspapers reporter, Victor Okechukwu Nnodim who was kidnapped from his residence in Kubwa, Bwari Area Council on Thursday has regained freedom.

He was released almost 48hours hours after his abduction alongside two other neighbours who were also abducted.
It was gathered early hours of Sunday that he has been released and in high spirits.

The media world was jolted by the news of his abduction, as many turned prayer warriors supplicating for his freedom without any harm

His abductors, NationaUpdate learnt later communicated with his elder sister who resides in Lagos demanding for N10 million.

At the time of this report it could not be ascertained if ransom was paid before he regained freedom, but colleagues made efforts to contributed money towards his release, when it became obvious that the kidnappers were bent on collecting ransom.

Continue Reading

Trending