Connect with us

Crime

Stay away from Kogi, Unknown thugs threaten Melaye

Published

on

Spread the love

Stay away from Kogi, Unknown thugs threaten Melaye

Unidentified political thugs have distributed pamflets threatening Senator Dino Melaye to forget about his planned visit to his Kogi West senatorial district in where he planned to commission his Constituency projects.

In a swift reaction senator Melaye said he had formerly informed the Police command of his coming to the state to commission his various projects in seven local government councils.

The Senator representing Kogi West senatorial district of the State is expected to commission projects in all the seven local government councils of the state starting from Wednesday till Friday this week.

The political thugs who made their intention known through an unsigned pamphlet, distributed them yesterday at the naming ceremony of the new born baby of the Lokoja administrator, Hon. Shiru Lawal said he is barred from coming to the State

The pamphlet reads; “Dino don’t patronize Kogi, Stay away else, you have yourself to blame. Save yourself and remain where you are, keep off from our land.

“Dino come and reap what you have sowed, you don’t respect our leaders so we don’t respect you. Respect is reciprocal.

“Take what you get if you dare us expect the worse, we warn you.

Mean while Senator Dino Melaye has said that he formerly wrote the Police and other security agents of his coming to Kogi State to commission his projects.

Melaye told reporters that his aim is to empowered his immediate constituency by embarking on various projects.

He added further that he will be commissioning meaningful projects across all the seven local government councils of the state starting from Wednesday stressing that as far he is concerned, nobody can prevent him from visiting his state.

However, the Public Relation officer of the Kogi State Police Command, Mr. William Ayah when contacted, said his command is aware of his coming but said they were not aware of the pamphlet being distributed by unknown persons.

He added that they have not received any report of such issue at the command adding that if they have any privilege information, they will surely take action.
End.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Abuja residents in panic mode as #ENDSARS protesters face counter force

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Abuja residents in panic mode as #ENDSARS protesters face counter force

There is apprehension among residents of FCT over fears of reprisals from those whose properties were destroyed on Monday allegelly by the pro-SARS  protesters that came to counter the #ENDSARS group that have been very peaceful.
Many have been calling their loved ones to stay indoor tomorrow as the fear of the unknown envelopes the city.
The NationalUpdate gathered that Monday’s protest turned violent at the Apo District of the Abuja car spare parts market hub as thugs opposed to the endless protests unleashed mayhem setting ablaze dozens of cars for sale.
The video of the scene of burning cars went viral as many residents expressed fear that Tuesday may not be a day of peace.
At press time, the authorities are yet to make any official statement on the matter as angry traders chased around the alleged hoodlums with axes and cudgels.
Though the protests have been taking its toll on the economy as the youths have been holding everybody to ransome but it had been mostly been peaceful until the Apo incidence.

Continue Reading

Crime

Journalist’s Detention: NUJ berates IGP, Minister of State Power

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Journalist’s Detention: NUJ berates IGP, Minister of State Power

The Nigeria Union of Journalists, FCT Council, has described as abuse of power the arrest and detention of Mr. Tom Oga Uhia, publisher of Power Steering magazine by the police.

Uhia was arrested Wednesday night in a Gestapo manner by the men of the Force Criminal Investigation Department, (FCID) Abuja on the instructions of the Minister of State, Power, Mr. Godwin Jeddy Agba.

In a statement on Friday by Chairman and Secretary of the NUJ FCT Council, Emmanuel Ogbeche and Ochiaka Ugwu, respectively, the union noted that if the minister believes he has been either defamed or suffered libel, he should seek judicial remedy through the courts rather than resorting to abuse of power and privilege using the police.

“It is obvious that recent events are not enough lessons to officials in power that there is always a day of reckoning. If the Minister of State, Power, Mr. Godwin Jeddy Agba feels strongly that he has suffered libel or defamation, what he ought to do is to seek legal remedy through the courts rather than using the police to arrest and detain Uhia, for over 72 hours without being charged to court,” the statement said.

“The NUJ FCT is not unaware of serious security challenges facing the country and urges the Inspector General of Police to channel valuable time and energy in confronting these issues including the growing nationwide protests against police harassment, brutality and impunity rather than arresting and detaining a journalist without being charged to court after 72 hours.

“We call on the IGP to unconditionally release Mr. Uhia and advice Mr. Jeddy Agba to follow the due process of the law if he is persuaded he has any case.

“The NUJ will resist any attempt to stifle press freedom and gag journalists in the performance of their constitutional role of holding government and its officials accountable to the people,” the statement added.

According to the statement, the union will continue to forensically x-ray the activities of government officials and in particular those who believe they can use their positions to intimidate, harass, arrest and detain journalists for reporting on them.

Continue Reading

Crime

#ENDSARS: PSC wields the bid stick against 37 police officers

Published

on

By

Spread the love

#ENDSARS: PSC wields the bid stick against 37 police officers

The Police Service Commission (PSC) may have decided to wield the big stick against airing 37 operatives of the special anti-robbery squad (SARS) as it has marked them for dismissal.
The SARS have been described as official criminals that have abused fundamental human rights of Nigerians to the extent citizens have defiled all odds in nationwide protests that have recieved support from almost all Nigerians.
The possible dismissal of the 37 members of now-defunct SARS may another response to nationwide agitation for the reform of the Nigeria Police.
Hence the PSC is deploying its mandate to assuage the frayed nerves.
PSC spokesman Ikechukwu Ani said in a statement that a presidential panel set up on the reform of SARS made the recommendation.
He said the panel had investigated allegations of human rights violations and abuse of office against SARS and recommended reform or restructuring of the outfit.
“The Panel also directed the Inspector General of Police to unravel the identity of 22 officers involved in the violation of the human rights of innocent citizens,” Ani said.
Recall that Nigerians, mostly youths, for over a week have staged protests against brutality, harassment, extortion and extrajudicial killing by police personnel.
Since the protest, inspector general of police Mohammed Adamu has announced the dissolution of the controversial Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the police. The unit is most culpable for cases of misuse of firearms in the country.
Adamu after two days announced a new unit – Special Weapons And Tactics (SWAT) to replace the dreaded SARS unit.
The changes regardless, Nigerians are not relenting in the nationwide protests which continue to garner momentum on a daily basis.
On the dismissal of the 37 police personnel, Anichukwu disclosed that executive secretary of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Tony Ojukwu presented the report of the panel to PSC chairman Musiliu Smith on Friday.

Continue Reading

Trending