Connect with us

LGA News

Strange disease kills over 50 people in Kogi

Published

on

Spread the love

Strange disease kills over 50 people in Kogi

The Kogi State Commissioner for Health, Dr Saka Audu has confirmed an outbreak of a strange disease in Okunran, Okoloke and Isanlu-Esa all in Yagba West, Local Government Area of the State.

Dr. Audu who made the disclosure when he visited the affected villages on Wednesday however indicated that analyses have not confirmed the disease to be Lassa fever.
He said whatever it is, they will carry out further investigation with information available to come up with definitive diagnosis.
He noted that the information about the outbreak of the strange disease came to them last week and they immediately send technical team to take the samples which was sent to General Hospital Irua, Edo State, for definitive investigation.
He added “We are going further to find out what the real cause may be, we don’t know what it is currently, but all hands are on deck to make sure that we find out the definitive cause of the mysterious deaths among the kids”.

“We are here to assess the situation about the incidence that had claimed the lives of so many people in this community and surrounding villages; to determine the cause of these mysterious deaths and then quickly profer a solution to it.

“As part of the policies of this Government, irrespective of the remote location of the community; we must make sure that we take health care to the door steps of the rural dwellers.

According to him, they want to reassure them that the government is with them and whatever happens, they will take full responsibility of those who are already ill and to ensure the arrest the spread of this disease.

Dr Jannette Hathorn, a Consultant at Evangelical Church of West Africa (ECWA) Hospital Egbe, said a child of two and half years was brought to the hospital which later died after 12 hours.
“We had definitely had a misleading news about patients bleeding around, so we tried to make diagnosis for viral hemorrhagic fever (Lassa fever), but the lab results came out negative.
“We are sure it is not Lassa fever but on the other hand, our concerns is that we do not know exactly the cause of what was happening. We had a differential but we never came to a definitive diagnosis.”

She explained further that two adult patients were also brought, one presented with ulcer-viral illness but there was no bleeding component of any hemorrhagic symptom.

“We isolated them and both of them were treated for malaria. So, when they started improving, we let them go.

“But our concern was another parent who brought their child to the hospital and pleaded with us for help that about 40 to 50 people had died in their villages with a similar symptom as their child in the last three weeks.”

She said they called the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the local state person, who came after the child had died yesterday to take the samples of everything.
‘We must know exactly what we are dealing with,” she said.

The Traditional Ruler of the Community, Oba Joshua Ogunyanda, the Obalohun of Okoloke, appreciated the commissioner for coming to see them in spite of the difficulty in getting to their communities and the neighboring fulani settlements.

According to him, the settlements are the most affected including some of his people of the host community

He said that the out break started over three weeks ago, and they immediately alerted the local government Administrator to come to their aid.

The Leader of the Fulani Settlement, Damina Ibrahim, told newsmen that the out break started about three weeks ago and mostly children and adult were affected.

Ibrahim said that they were stooling and vomiting with stain of blood, and hot temperature, saying they were using herbs to treat then at first.

He explained further that when they started recording too many deaths, they rushed to the hospital, where the doctors could not ascertain the cause of their illness, saying some of them died in the hospital while some were discharged without any cure.

He added “we have lost over 50 people and we are still having some of our sick ones at home”.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

LGA News

LG workers live below poverty level in Kogi says NULGE President

Published

on

By

Spread the love

LG workers live below poverty level in Kogi says NULGE President

The Kogi State Chapter of the Nigerian Union of Local Government Employees, has indicated that their members live below poverty level in the State because of poor payment of salaries.

Comrade Tade Adeyemi, Kogi State President of NULGE made the disclosure in a position paper he presented at a meeting of Local Government Stakeholders NULGE, MHWUN and the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, held in Lokoja.
He lamented that a situation where less than 50% of workers are receiving salaries at the local government and at ridiculous percentages is affecting the living standard of workers in the local government service.

Com. Tade observed that it is heartbraking to note that arrears of outstanding salaries owed workers at the local government areas ranges between 18 to 34 months.
He called on the ministry to ensure that the backlog of salaries are paid to ameliorate the plight of the workers in the local government service.

The NULGE President also advocated for a more transparent mode of payment of salaries that will make officers of the local government rise up to their family and other responsibilities.

In his prayers, Com. Tade Adeyemi called for the payment of salaries as at when due, and to ensure that full salaries are paid soon as allocation is received to uplift workers from their current sufferings.

NULGE equally appealed for the implementation of promotion exercise that took place between 2015 to 2017 so as to boost the morale of workers.

NULGE also prayed for the ministry to liaise with the Local Government Commission to ensure that promotion interview is carried out to cover from 2017 till date.

The NULGE President solicited for the compliance for the appointment of Head of Local Government Administration and Treasurer to be in line with statutory requirements and scheme of service.
On salary disparity, NULGE called on the ministry to liaise with the Union to correct issues of salary disparity, as well as make the office of Head of Service to fasttrack the review of the screening report, and return of cooperative society scheme to the local government system.

NULGE further appealed to the Ministry to look into the issues of suspended former Heads of Local Government Administration and Treasurers, saying that those found not to be guilty after investigation should be made to return back to work.

The NULGE President also appealed to the Ministry to allow for workers in the Local Government to prepare workers salaries, as this would enable them correct noticeable anomalies.

The Union equally called for the full implementation of full salary structure CONHESS for health workers, pointing out that it is shocking to note that some health workers at the local government are currently being remunerated on grade levels, which ought not to be so.

The NULGE President noted too that the issue of two grade level backward for health workers at the local government be put on hold pending the implementation of 100% CONHESS.

In conclusion, the leadership of NULGE and MHWUN called on President Mohammadu Buhari to as a matter of Urgency release the bailout funds of N30.8billion to Kogi State for the purpose of liquidating the backlogs of salaries at the local government levels.

Also speaking, Com. Onuh Edoka, Kogi state NLC Chairman and Chairman of MHWUN, lamented the poor salary payment in the local government sector and the issues of CONHESS to health workers.
The NLC Chairman called on the Ministry on the need to improve on the welfare of local government workers, noting that workers in that sector have long been neglected.

Continue Reading

LGA News

Drama as Kogi Govt, NULGE disagree on percentage of salary payment to LG workers

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Drama as Kogi Govt, NULGE disagree on percentage of salary payment to LG workers

There was a mild drama at the Kogi State Government House as the National Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) countered Government’s percieved propaganda on claims that it has been paying Local Government workers in Kogi State over 50% percent salaries.
It was like leaking a fraud being perpetrated at the Local Governments as NULGE leadership punctured Government’s claims to the consternation of the Government representatives who was armed with false information as delivered by the local Governments.
The Chief of Staff to Kogi State Governor Chief Edward Onoja while addressing Labour Leaders made up of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC), Medical and Health workers Union (MHWUN), National Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) in Lokoja after a peaceful protest match through the major highway in the State capital over the N30, 000 new minimum wage told workers that at Local government level, in the last six months, payment have not gone below 50% percent.
The statement did not go down well with the workers as they chanted “No No, it is propaganda.’
Onoja while explaining further to buttress his claim said, “Is there a NULGE representative here? Please we are before the world so we are not here to joke. We must read out some information so that when they say what the money is used for, you will compare today and yesterday. NULGE chairman, there is a directive that no Local Government should pay below 50% no matter what. NULGE chairman confirm.
When the President National Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) Kogi State Chapter Comrade Tade Adeyemi stepped forward to ascertain the position of the government on the percentage payment of Local Government workers salaries, he rebuffed the claims of the chief of saff saying workers have been receiving 25- 30% salaries in the last six months.
“I want to on behalf of the entire Local Government workers, register our displeasure that despite our agreement, that no LGA should receive less than 54%, I want to point it to you that, majority of LGA workers are receiving 25-30% salaries”.
But the Chief of staff responded that the Director of LGA’s and Treasurers confirmed to the government with relevant records that they have been paying 50% and above.
Meanwhile, workers in the Local Government have called for the immediate sack of various DLG’s and Treasurers for allegedly hoarding their salaries.
Some workers who spoke under the condition of anonymity described the development as an embarrassment to the Kogi State Government.
Earlier, the Kogi State Chairman Nigeria Labour Congress Comrade Onuh Edoka while presenting the demands of workers in the State reminded the government that workers are being owned five months, 10 months, 15-24 and some 32 monthsmonths respectively.
Edoka also called on President Muhammadu Buhari to quickly implement the N30,000 new minimum wage adding that, he should not be distracted by some governors hiding under the guise of “Nigeria Governors Forum” who are not willing to support the labour movement.
“We hereby reiterate our directive to Nigerian workers to vote out any politician or political party that refuse to pay the new national minimum wage of N30,000.
“We shall continue to consolidate our efforts to strengthen already existing platforms and structures to give teeth to our firm resolve to remove from power anti-labour governors and political leaders in the forthcoming 2019 general election.
“We urge government to desist from using the threat of mass sack or the barbaric policy of “no work… no pay” to break our resolve as this would only calcify our position. And for any government contemplating mass sack as response to our demands for the implementation of the new minimum wage of N30,000, we wish to offer you this advice. The consequence of workers retrenchment would be too grievous for any political office holder truly elected by the people to contemplate” he said.
The workers carried placards with various inscriptions like, Buhari resign now if you can’t pay N30000; Nigerian Workers are not slaves and Buhari fear God, Enough is enough of unfulfilled promises.
They called on the federal government to quickly begin the implementation of the N30000 minimum wage.

Continue Reading

LGA News

Youth leaders tackle council boss over illegal sale of govt properties

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Youth leaders tackle council boss over illegal sale of govt properties

By John Akubo

The Adavi local Government administrator Hon. Joseph Omuya Salami has come under severe scrutiny and rebuff by the Youth Council of Nigeria, Adavi council chapter for illegally selling off the council properties.
This was contained in a letter of protest over his fraududlent conduct that was was signed by secretary of the youth council Abdullahi Suleiman
and addressed to Governor Yahaya Bello, copy of which was made availlable to the Guardian in Lokoja yesterday.
The protest letter indicated that youth leaders of the council verified the allegations from the Local Government Director of Administration who confirmed that he actually declined appending his signature on an agreement letter between the council and the prospective buyers of transformers.
The letter explained that farming ploughs supplied by the State Government for youth empowerment were also carted away by the administrator at night for sale to Hausa/Fulani buyers
The letter also alleged that some of the local Government vehicles recently repaired by the State with millions of Naira were on the list of properties the embattled council boss was planning to auction to himself and his cronnies.
“The generating plant purchased by the previous administration were moved to unknown destination under his directive. 90% of the motorcycles purchased by the State for the local Government staff have been sold even as deductions for them are being made from staff salaries.
“These weighty allegations have been overtly and covertly investigated, your excellency and confirmed to be true and acurate-even from the officers directly in charge of the stock and inventries.”
It stated that they had also intimated the Ohi of Adavi and the divisional Pokice Officer of Adavi to ensure that the matters do not get to a head.
On the allegation that the youth council President was organising and orchestrating public protests against the APC, as well as the local Government adminsitrator, the letter said they are all false.
It added that they have no other agenda except to monitor, guard jealousely and protect the heritage of the local government for the benefit of present and future generation.
“Your excellency, we have done our duty to inform you and keep your government abreast with the fraududlent, under-hand and shaddy dealings that characterised the administration of Joseph Omuya Salami.
All efforts to reach the administrator proved abortive as calls to his phone line was not successful as he did not answer his calls.
He later told nationalupdate that their story is baseless that they don’t know what they are doing.
He said his SA media would respond but as at the time of filling the report the media aid was yet to get back to our reporter.

Continue Reading

Trending