Connect with us

Metro

Unidentified thugs Burn Down Dino Melaye’s Projects meant for Commissioning in Kogi.

Published

on

Spread the love

Unidentified thugs Burn Down Dino Melaye’s Projects meant for Commissioning in Kogi.


Some faceless thugs who earlier threatened the Senator representing Kogi west, Dino Melaye, warning him to stay clare of the State have allegelly raised down his Constituency projects meant for commissioning today.
At about 2am the thugs burnt down Government Girls Secondary School Sarkin Noma and Lokongoma Secondary School in Lokoja local government area and two other projects due for inauguration.

The hoodlums allegedly burnt down the entire building including books and furniture.

The unidentified political thugs had distributed pamflets threatening Senator Dino Melaye to forget about his planned visit to his Kogi West senatorial district where he planned to commission his Constituency projects.
However senator Melaye said he had formerly informed the Police command of his coming to the state to commission his various projects in seven local government councils.

The burnt schools were billed to be inaugurated on Wednesday out of 143 projects put in place by the senator across the seven local government areas by Senator Dino Melaye.
Melaye who was on his way to the commissioning ceremony when the news was broken to him was undaunted as he vowed to still go ahead with the commissioning as he condemned the burning down of the schools.
Senator Melaye who had earlier commissioned a block of four classrooms in Taware, Manyare, and 10 kilometer roads all in Gegu-Beki in Kogi local government area of the state also commissioned a borehole at Felele in Lokoja local government council.
He said it is sad that some people who are not ready to provide for his people could do such thing.

He lamented that the schools were build for the communities but unfortunately some politicians who could not provide projects to alleviate the suffering of the down trodden turned around to sponsor thugs to destroyed those projects.

He noted that no amount of intimidation and harassment can dissuade him from fulfilling his electioneering campaign to the people of his constituency even as he vowed to rebuild the burnt classrooms.

In a swift reaction, the Kogi State government condemned in strong term the burning of four of the constituency projects of Senator Dino Melaye in Lokoja the state capital by some arsonists due for commissioning yesterday.

The Director General, Media and Publicity to the state governor, Mr. Kingsley Fanwo who spoke on behalf of government during an assessment tour of the burnt facility also said the state government has directed security operatives to fish out the arsonists.

The four constituency projects which are four block of classroom each at Government Girls secondary school, Sarkin Noma; Lokongoma Secondary School, Phase 1; and Adankolo Secondary school; all in Lokoja.

Fanwo who spoke at the Government Girls Secondary School, Sarkin Nomo said, “Government condemn the incident.

The state commissioner for Education, Mrs. Rosemary Osikoya who was amongst the government officials who visited the sites said government will not fold her arms until the perpetrators are fished out.

“Exams are ongoing and these building have been in use since January 2018. We expect that people will respect the sanctity of education.

“This act is masterminded and not accidental. The building were burnt including the chairs. If not for some serving Corps members around who tried to put out the flame it would have been worse than this.

“We appeal to everybody to collaborate with us in education and not use it as a meetting point for political sabotage. This is a dastard act, the state interest should be paramount rather than the individual political ego.

The State Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of operations, Mr. Monday Kuryas who was also at hand narrated that the hoodlums forced their way into the building.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Kogi Govt donates food items to widows of fallen heroes

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Kogi Govt donates food items to widows of fallen heroes

By Aliyu Abubakar

As part of the activities to Mark the just concluded Nigeria Army Day celebration, Kogi State Security Trust Fund, has donated consumable items to families of the fallen heroes at Command Army Record, Lokoja.
Presenting the food items, the Executive Chairman Kogi State Security Trust Fund, Hon Samari Teina Abdulmalik, who was represented by the Acting Board Secretary, Mrs Ajayi Grace, said, the gesture was to put smiles on the faces of widows of the fallen heroes as their husbands colleagues celebrate the Nigeria Army Day.
Samari, urged the fallen heroes’ wives to be strong and courageous, “I want to urge you wives of our fallen heroes to be courageous and engage in positive ventures that will create better life for you and your children in future.”
” Please accept the token presentation of various items and use them judiciously as we hope to come up with more programmes of mutual benefits.” He said.
Responding on behalf of the beneficiaries, the Commander, Command Army Record, Maj- Gen. O. O Sholaye, who was represented by the Personal Assistant to the Commander, Staff Sergeant, Konto Ibrahim, thanked the State Government, for the gesture.
He prayed for the Governor, the families of fallen heroes and the fallen heroes, who paid the ultimate sacrifice for peace and unity of our dear country Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Metro

Multi-billion naira PH hotel: Ebonyi indigenes tackle Umahi over ownership

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Multi-billion naira PH hotel: Ebonyi indigenes tackle Umahi over ownership

Association of Ebonyi State Indigenes in Diaspora (AESID) has asked Governor David Umahi to speak up over a viral picture of a multi-billion Naira hotel located in Rivers state, allegedly named after Osborn Umahi.

The association expressed concern that the governor had maintained the sealed lips since the images of the said Port-Harcourt Osborn La Palm Hotel went viral on the social media.

The hotel which is almost completed is said to be worth about N40 billion.

In a statement released to newsmen Sunday in Abuja, by its President, Amb Pascal Oluchukwu, urged the anti-graft agencies to begin to gather their facts and evidences in case of any fow play.

According to AESID, the said hotel is located in the heart of the oil-rich city of Port-Harcourt, Rivers state specifically at No. 3 Olaka Street, off Abacha Road, G.R.A, Port-Harcourt has a roof-top swimming pool and a Presidential Penthouse as one of its many special features.

The statement said: “The fact that the said hotel project started just in 2016 is even more worrisome for the indigenes of a state like Ebonyi where endemic and anthropogenic poverty is the order of the day, having been accurately ranked the poorest state in the entire Southern Nigeria and the 3rd poorest among the 36 States of the Nigerian Federation.

“Our position on this revelation is that Governor Umahi must speak up on this monumental allegations within 24 hours and the anti-graft agencies should begin to gather their facts and evidences aright and await the days of reckoning, knowing that immunity protects him from being prosecuted by the Nigerian government even at this point.”

The Ebonyi governance and accountability platform said: “We believe it should be wisdom for Governor Wike to revoke the land where the said hotel is situated especially if Umahi fails to open-up on these weighty allegations against his person.”

Reacting to the spate of insecurity in the state, AESID said its deeply worried that the political actors, have continued to heat up the polity by dispensing mindless violence, killing and maiming innocent and helpless Ebony citizens particularly those in opposition parties.

“To this end therefore, AESID, again calls on the Police and indeed, all heads of intelligent security agencies to uncover and nip these killings in the bud and bring all perpetrators of these heinous attacks to book no matter how highly placed.”

Continue Reading

Metro

How two Police inspectors lost their lives in autocrash while helping to bury colleague

Published

on

By

Spread the love

How two Police inspectors lost their lives in autocrash while helping to bury colleague


Two policemen attach to the Kogi State police command, who were helping to convey the remains of their colleague to his family for burial, have also lost their lives in an autocrash.

NationalUpdate gathered that the two inspectors of police along with a civilian driver died on Thursday in a fatal auto crash on Itobe-Ojodu-Anyigba road.

The Sector Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in the state, Mr Solomon Aghure, confirmed the incident.
He told newsmen in Lokoja that the victims were travelling in an ambulance van to Anyigba with emppty casket when the accident happened.

Aghure added that the two deceased policemen were only offering their helping hands to pick the corpse of a police sergeant from a mortuary in Anyigba, adding that their vehicle and a Mercedes Benz truck, coming from the opposite direction had a Headon collissio at a spot in Ojodu community.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) for the police command in the state, DSP William Aya, who also confirmed the incident, said the two policemen were detailed to pick the corpse of the deceased sergeant at Anyigba and accompany it to Adamawa for burial.

Aya said the family of the deceased sergeant policeman requested that his remains be brought home for burial.

The police spokesperson said that the driver of the truck and his conductor disappeared immediately the incident happened to evade beingarrested.

He said that the corpses of the two police inspectors had been deposited at a morgue in Lokoja, adding that the civilian driver of the ambulance had been released to his family.

Continue Reading

Trending