Connect with us

Metro

VSF task force on COVID-19 insists, all of its palliatives got to targeted beneficiaries

Published

on

Spread the love

VSF task force on COVID-19 insists, all of its palliatives got to targeted beneficiaries

The Victims Support Fund (VSF) Emergency task Force has stated categorically that all its support items from its Phase 1 and 2 donations had been distributed to targeted beneficiaries by the State governments and CSOs.
This was coming against the backdrop of recent narratives that many States hoarded palliatives meant for the vulnerable groups to cushion the effect of the six months lockdown on account of the Coronavirus pandermic.
The Spokesman Victims Support Fund
Covid-19 Emergency Task Force Alkasim Abdulkadir in a statement issued in Abuja on Tuesday said, the attention of the Task Force was drawn to stories especially on social media on the unsettling matter of government and private warehouses being broken into across the country.

He said in the first phase of their intervention, the Task Force identified six states including the frontline states, in addition to the Federal Capital Territory. “These were Lagos and Ogun States as epicentres of the pandemic in Nigeria. Others were four North East States (Borno, Adamawa, Yobe and Taraba) targeting the IDPs as the most vulnerable population needing palliative measures.
“The task force is therefore compelled by the happenings around the country to clearly state that:
The VSF Task Force on COVID was inaugurated by the Chairman of the Victims Support Fund, Gen. Theophilus Yakubu RTD Danjuma in April 2020 adding that it was set up as a vehicle to provide succour to vulnerable populations hit by the effects of Covid-19.
“The task force worked with State Governments and Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) to identify and distribute the palliatives to vulnerable households.
“All VSF Covid -19 Emergency Task force items are clearly branded ‘VICTIMS SUPPORT FUND COVID -19 EMERGENCY SUPPORT PROGRAMME’
He said the task force did not collaborate with any other organisation apart from the local CSOs
“The food items were identified and procured for distribution to households across the six states and the FCT.
“Each household received the following: rice, 10Kg; beans, 10Kg; garri, 10Kg (Lagos and Ogun States only); maize, 10Kg (FCT and the North East only); vegetable oil, four (4) litres, and salt two (2) Kg. “Other items that addressed hygiene like hand washing soaps, detergents, masks, Hazmat suits, goggles, boots, were also procured and distributed. All these were packaged in one 50kg bag.”
He said in the second phase, the focus of the interventions was on Edo, Delta, Enugu, Ebonyi and Ekiti States.
“Equally, the VSF also donated Video Conferencing facilities to the NCDC and ICT equipment and technical support to the Federal Ministry of Health.
“The next phase of the interventions which will commence soon, will focus on: Kaduna, Katsina, Zamfara, Benue, Plateau and Niger states.”
He said it is worthy to note that the events were well publicised in the media and the Task Force was well received in all the States visited.

“VSF has set the pace in ensuring that the donations reached the beneficiaries in a timely manner.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

56 days after abduction freed 27 students arrive State Police Command, Kaduna

Published

on

By

Spread the love

After 56 days in the kidnappers den 27 students abducted by bandits from Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation, Afaka, Kaduna have regained their freedom.

The students were released in Kindanda village, Giwa local government area of the state.
The Sheikh Abubakar Gumi dialogue committee with support from former President Olusegun Obasanjo was said to have facilitated theur release was on Wednesday

The students are the remainder of the 39 abducted two months ago as 10 were released earlier after payment of ransom by parents and the school management, two others had escaped from captivity.
Chairman of the parents’ forum, Mallam Abdullahi Usman, commended the roles played by Obasanjo, Sheikh Gumi and other stakeholders, saying “their facilitation was very helpful in the release of the students.”
Asked if additional ransom was paid to the bandits before the release, Usman said: “I cannot confirm whether ransom was paid or not. Our main joy and happiness is that our students are back.”

Recall that Parents of the kidnapped students on Tuesday protested the prolonged abduction of their wards at the National Assembly complex.

The freed students are different from the 16 students of Greenfield University, Kaduna, who are yet to be released Their kidnappers are threatening to kill enmass, if ransom is not paid.
The freed students were received at the state Police Command Headquarters.
The students, who were escorted by security agents, arrived in two 18-seater Hiace buses and an ambulance. Most of the students appeared weak and could barely walk, as one of the female students was carried by a security agent on mufti.
It was observed that majority of the students appeared in tattered clothes. Some were in their night wears while others dressed half-clad. Journalists were barred from taking shots of the students as they were led into the conference hall of the police command.
Governor Nasir El-Rufai in a statement by Aruwan, charged the students to view their ordeal as a motivation to put the past behind and work hard towards a happier and successful future ahead.

Continue Reading

Metro

Gov. Sule urges Nigerians to desist from playing politics with insecurity

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Gov. Sule urges Nigerians to desist from playing politics with insecurity

From Umar Egbunu Muhammed, Lafia

Nasarawa State governor, Abdullahi Sule, has warned Nigerians against the danger in playing politics with the security challenges presently confronting the nation, emphasizing that as a retired major General, President Muhammadu Buhari is in better position to tackle insecurity across the country.

Governor Sule spoke when he appeared as a guest on Channels
Television which was monitored in Lafia.

Reacting to suggestions for the federal government to hire mercenaries to help fight banditry and insurgency in the Northwest and Northeast, he said, he is willing to accept any idea that will restore peace in his state.

The governor, however, affirmed that when he earlier said the country needed foreign support, he was specifically referring to the developed countries of the US and Britain supporting Nigeria with technology to prosecute the war against banditry and insurgency.

He pointed out the the type of security challenges confronting the
country, particularly banditry and insurgency, are not conventional
wars, with other countries like Agfanistan, which took over 40 years to battle the Taliban.

He recalled that during the immediate past administration of former president Goodluck Jonathan, mercenaries were recruited to fight the insurgency in the Northeast, without much impact as Boko Haram continued with their onslaught.

His words: “I think if there is anybody who knows about all these,
it’s Muhammadu Buhari, who rose to the rank of a Major General, who
was been in the military. I don’t play politics with that.”

While expressing reservations about employing the services of
mercenaries to help in addressing the security challenges in the
country, Sule was emphatic in soliciting for foreign backing in the
area of technology, equipment and training of the country’s military
personnel.

“This is the time for the US and Britain to support us, with
technology, equipment and training of our military personnel,” Sule
affirmed.

He debunked claims by Senator Ali Ndume (APC, Borno South) suggesting that state governors are not doing enough to support President Buhari in fighting insecurity, affirming that
governors are doing everything possible to partner and support
security agencies in tackling insecurity.

He maintained that state governors are up to the task, supporting
security agencies with logistics, equipment and ensuring that they
discharge their responsibilities.

On the call for the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), to zone
its national chairmanship to the North Central, the governor
reaffirmed his agitation for the party to zone the position to the
North Central and to Nasarawa State in particular.

“The Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), remains the only legacy party yet to produce the national chairman of the party. If the CPC is to be considered, then it’s only natural that North Central Zone and
Nasarawa State in particular, is also considered,” he stated.

Continue Reading

Metro

15 women crushed to death as trailer fails break in Imo

Published

on

By

Spread the love

15 women crushed to death as trailer fails break in Imo

About 15 market women have lost their lives at Nkwo Miri Market in Isiala Umuozu in Nwangele Local Government Area of Imo State, after being crushed by a trailer that lost control over brake failure.

Reports had it that the accident happened when the trailer lost control after developing brake failure at the Nkwo Miri Market in Imo State.
The women were engaged in trading by the road side when trailer lost control and rammed into them

Continue Reading

Trending